Boxing-Joshua says prepared to go to final bell against Pulev

Must Read

Party Chieftain blames Kwara APC crisis on political jobbers

By Steve Oni, Ilorin A Chieftain of the All Progressives...

Police kill 2 suspected kidnappers in Plateau

The Police Command in Plateau have killed two suspected kidnappers in Gindiri, Mangu Local Government Area of...

Gov. Zulum lauds Military’s success in repelling insurgents attack in Marte

Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno has commended the troops of Operation Lafiya...

Britain’s Joshua will start as clear favourite in front of 1,000 fans at Wembley Arena for the fight that was postponed in June because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I’m prepared to go to the final bell. I’m a 15-round fighter, not a 12-round fighter,” Joshua, who reclaimed his titles by beating Andy Ruiz in a re-match in Saudi Arabia 12 months ago, said at an amiable news conference on Thursday.

“I can carry my stamina, my boxing IQ, concentration and strength until the final bell.

“I will definitely get hit. He will get hit too. I’ll be the last man standing.”

Pulev, 39, was prevented from fighting Joshua in 2017 because of injury but says he is ready to cause an upset.

“I have waited a long time. I knew this fight would come again,” he said. “Now I am healthy. I’m not 22 years old, of course, but I am ready now. I have everything to be champion.”

Joshua’s only defeat came against Ruiz in Madison Square Garden in June, 2019. That shock defeat, he insists, has made him into a rougher fighter.

“The pressure I went through last year was tough, made me mentally stronger, it made me grow a thicker skin,” he said.

“What have I got to lose? I have everything to gain. Because I took a loss to Ruiz? That isn’t enough to change someone like me. I’ve got a lot of character.”

Pulev, like Joshua, has only one professional defeat on his card, a knockout by Vladimir Klitschko in 2014.

Joshua, who has not fought in England since beating Alexander Povetkin in 2018, said the fact that a limited crowd will be allowed in to watch the fight was not a factor.

“It will be good for the fans but I’m just focused on Pulev,” he said. “No disrespect to the fans but I’ve got a serious challenge and that’s all I’m thinking about.

“When I win I can enjoy it afterwards.”

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Party Chieftain blames Kwara APC crisis on political jobbers

By Steve Oni, Ilorin A Chieftain of the All Progressives...

Police kill 2 suspected kidnappers in Plateau

The Police Command in Plateau have killed two suspected kidnappers in Gindiri, Mangu Local Government Area of the state.ASP Ubah Ogaba, the...

Gov. Zulum lauds Military’s success in repelling insurgents attack in Marte

Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno has commended the troops of Operation Lafiya Dole for its success in...

COVID-19: NCDC records 1,617 new infections, 14 more deaths in Nigeria

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control recorded 1,617 new cases of the  CoronaVirus Disease (COVID-19) in the...

One shot, as protest over epileptic power supply to Kafanchan turns violent

A peaceful protest against epileptic power supply in Kafanchan, Kaduna State, on Monday, turned violent as one...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -