Connect with us

News

$3.47m Transfers May Nail Saraki

Published

on

By Emmanuel IFFER, Abuja

There appears to be more trouble for the nation’s number three citizen, Senate President, Bukola Saraki documents have linked him to serial transfers totaling $3.47 million in 40 installments in four years with his credit card to the United States.
Details indicate that the transactions sailed through with Guaranty Trust Bank between 2009, when he served as Kwara State governor, and 2012 when he served as the senator representing Kwara Central Senatorial District, even as he equally owned the beneficiary accounts.
Some of the senator’s companies, during the same period, also transferred thousands of dollars to the U.S. accounts. The companies are Carlisle Properties and West Gate Ltd.
Mr. Saraki is currently facing a 13-count charge bordering on corruption and false assets declaration at the Code of Conduct Tribunal. He allegedly committed the offence when he served as governor between 2003 and 2011.
The politician has denied any wrongdoing and alleged political persecution.
Of the 13-count charges filed against the senate president, two are related to the transfer of the $3.47 million.
Count 11 of the charges filed against Mr. Saraki states: That you, DR. OLUBUKOLA ABUBAKAR SARAKI on or about 25th August, 2008 within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Tribunal, while being a public officer as the Executive Governor of Kwara State did operate a bank account outside Nigeria when you transferred the sum of $73, 223.28 (Seventy Three Thousand, Two Hundred and Twenty-Three Thousand Dollars, Twenty-Eight cents) from your Guaranty Trust Bank Plc domiciliary account No 441441953210 to the American Express Services Europe Limited No: 730580 for onward credit to your American Express Bank, New York card account No:374588216836009 and you thereby committed an offence contrary to paragraph 3 of Part I, Fifth Schedule to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) and Section 7 of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act and punishable under paragraph 9 of the said Fifth Schedule to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) and section 23 (2) of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act.

Count 12 states: That you, DR. OLUBUKOLA ABUBAKAR SARAKI between August, 2009 and October 2012 within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Tribunal, while being a public officer as the Executive Governor of Kwara State and Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria did operate a bank account outside Nigeria when you transferred the aggregate sum of $3, 400, 000.00 (Three Million, Four Hundred Thousand Dollars) from your Guaranty Trust Bank Plc. domiciliary account No 441441953210 to the American Express Services Europe Limited no: 730580 for onward credit to your American Express Bank, New York card account No:374588216836009 and you thereby committed an offence contrary to paragraph 3 of Part I, Fifth Schedule to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) and section 7 of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act and punishable under paragraph 9 of the said Fifth Schedule to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) and section 23 (2) of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act.
A prosecution witness had told the CCT that documents related to the transfer were destroyed in an inferno.
When being cross examined by the defence counsel, Paul Usoro, at the Tribunal last Tuesday, the prosecution witness, Michael Wetkas, said Guaranty Trust Bank, GTB, told the investigation team that the transaction documents had been burnt.
“There were also police reports and affidavit which they (the GTB) swore to show that some documents were burnt,” Mr. Wetkas stated.
The document, obtained exclusively by PREMIUM TIMES, shows that Mr. Saraki, on August 26, 2009, transferred the $72,223.25 to the American Express Services Europe Limited no: 730580 for onward credit to the American Express Bank, New York card account No:374588216836009.
Following the transfer, the bank charged him a commission of $732.23. It is not clear what the money transferred was meant for.
That same day (August 26) one of his companies, Carlisle Properties Investment, transferred another $49,969.00.
Between September 2009 and October 2012, Mr. Saraki transferred over $3 million.
According to the document, in 2009 the senate president transferred $127,174.05 on September 8; $85,543.88 on October 21; and $127,586.41 on November 11.
In 2010, he transferred $140,319 on January 4; $140,000 on March 15; $84,000 on April 16; $134,000 on May 18; $64,000 on June 21; $80,984 on July 29; $100,000 on August 31; $18,000 on September 2; $$48,900 on October 11; and $183,232.46 on December 8;
In 2011, Mr. Saraki transferred $32,687 on February 21; $30,656.74 on March 22; $111,444.79 on June 22; $43, 651 on July 19; $91,738 on August 16; $10,000 on August 26; $65,000 on August 29; $112,140 on September 27; $147,000 on November 17; and $86,872.10 on December 14.
The document also shows that in 2012, he transferred $50,000 on January 4; $145,000 on January 27; $7000 on January 27; $94,754.63 on February 10; $60,000 on April 12; $70,000 on May 11; $55,000 on May 17; $89,411.74 on June 12; $45,000 on September 6; and $45,308 on September 24; $130,000 on October 11; $77,000 on February 17; $77,000 on February 20; $70,648.44 on March 29; $70,000 on July 4; $138,000 on July 16; and $45,000 on September 5.
Just as Mr. Saraki was making the transactions, his companies were also transferring monies to the U.S. totalling $2,099,257.00.
For instance, apart from the August 26 transfer in 2009, Carlisle also transferred $59,964 on September 7; $99,961.30 on October 16; $109,000 on November 11; $50,000 on August 12; and $150,000 on December 31.
Meanwhile, a civil society group, Citizens United for Peace and Stability (CUPS), the organizers of proposed demonstration against the Senate President and his supporters billed for April 26, and OccupyNASS said it is receiving overwhelming support and that last Saturday alone, Nigerians donated a total of N183,500 towards actualizing the historic #OccupyNASS and#ReclaimNigeria movement even as they claim the drive has gone global.
“The largest donor donated N30,000,” the group said in the statement, signed by Dr. Idris Ahmed & Dr. Bunmi Awoyemi.
“Other patriots donated N20,000, N10,000, N5,000, N2,000, N1,500 and N1,000. A total of 26 compatriots made the donations. This means that in five days’ time we are able to raise one million, two hundred and fifty-six thousand Naira! – N1,256,000.”
It explained that following due consultations with Nigerian organisations in Diaspora, the group decided to extend the #OccupyNASS and #ReclaimNigeria event to a global affair.
“This means that we will be demonstrating against Bukola Saraki and his cabal around the globe on the same 26th April.”
CUPS reassured concerned Nigerians that the Police Act, which sought to empower the Police to issue permission for demonstrations, has been deemed unconstitutional by the Federal Court of Appeal.
“According to the law, all that is required from us to host a peaceful protest is to inform the Inspector General of Police or state Police Commissioner that we are embarking on a peaceful demonstration, and that we need the Police to provide security,” the statement said, adding that CUPS has already done that, and also written to the DG of the Department of State Security, the Minister of FCTA, and the FRSC Marshal.
Stressing that the plan to host the historic event is well underway, the group appealed to Nigerians to donate generously to its corporate to enable the dream to be actualized, pointing out that no donation is too big or too small.
“Every single Naira donated counts towards providing food, water, shelter, medical care, and other facilities to peaceful demonstrators,” it said, noting that donating to support peaceful demonstrators at #OccupyNASS is one of the best charitable acts that any patriotic Nigerian can do.
“Think about it, our mere plan to occupy the NASS is already yielding impressive results at the Senate,” CUPs said. “They recently capitulated on their unlawful attempt to amend our constitution.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Pius Akutah’s Alleged Fraud at Nigerian Shippers Council Uncovered

Published

on

By

Investigations by Nigerian Concord Newspaper reveal that the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Shippers Council, Mr. Pius Akutah, has allegedly misappropriated public funds for a lavish lifestyle.

According to our findings, within months of assuming office, Akutah allegedly purchased a bulletproof SUV valued at approximately N850 million. In addition, he is reported to have acquired over twenty exotic SUVs for use as a convoy.

Akutah is also said to have acquired multiple high-value properties, including three in Abuja’s Maitama and Asokoro districts worth over N2 billion, and two in Lagos’ Banana Island valued at N1.8 billion. These acquisitions appear far beyond the scope of his official salary and allowances.

Further investigation suggests that Akutah may be using public funds to support political ambitions, including allegedly grooming militants across 23 local government areas in Benue State for a potential 2027 gubernatorial bid.

Staff of the Shippers Council reportedly claim that Akutah frequently accesses the council’s treasury without proper authorization. Some insiders have indicated that a petition will soon be filed with the EFCC, ICPC, and the Presidency to report his alleged misconduct.

*

Continue Reading

News

Pius Akutah’s Alleged Fraud at Nigerian Shippers Council Uncovered

Published

on

By

Investigations by Nigerian Concord Newspaper reveal that the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Shippers Council, Mr. Pius Akutah, has allegedly misappropriated public funds for a lavish lifestyle.

According to our findings, within months of assuming office, Akutah allegedly purchased a bulletproof SUV valued at approximately N850 million. In addition, he is reported to have acquired over twenty exotic SUVs for use as a convoy.

Akutah is also said to have acquired multiple high-value properties, including three in Abuja’s Maitama and Asokoro districts worth over N2 billion, and two in Lagos’ Banana Island valued at N1.8 billion. These acquisitions appear far beyond the scope of his official salary and allowances.

Further investigation suggests that Akutah may be using public funds to support political ambitions, including allegedly grooming militants across 23 local government areas in Benue State for a potential 2027 gubernatorial bid.

Staff of the Shippers Council reportedly claim that Akutah frequently accesses the council’s treasury without proper authorization. Some insiders have indicated that a petition will soon be filed with the EFCC, ICPC, and the Presidency to report his alleged misconduct.

*

Continue Reading

News

Special Birthday Wishes to Zege Mule U Tiv & Wazirin Adamawa

Published

on

By

I am writing to felicitate with Your Excellency, Atku Abubakar, GCON, former Vice-President of Nigeria (Zege Mule u Tiv & Wazirin Adamawa)
on the occasion of your 79th birthday anniversary.

I join your teeming admirers globally in celebrating you on this special day, an adorable Statesman and my Boss.
I recall with nostalgia, how countless generations have benefited from your generosity, wealth of experience and benevolence including being my key benefactor even as a young lawyer for my professional success.

Your Excellency, may your special day be filled with grandeur befitting your illustrious career.

I wish you continued success, prosperity, and an unending stream of accolades.

It takes a remarkable kind of fortitude to remain active in public life well into one’s golden years. Your dedication and patriotism remain truly exceptional.

May you enjoy a day of reflection on your many years of fruitful service to humanity. It is my prayer that God Almighty grants you many more healthy, fruitful, and fulfilling years ahead, and continues to endow you with wisdom, strength, and the grace to keep contributing to our nation-building.

Happy Birthday, Your Excellency.

Michael Kaase Aondoakaa SAN.
Former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.