Uncategorized
FG Files Fresh 12-Count Forgery, Impersonation Case Against Senior Lawyer Mike Ozekhome
From Hassan Taiye
The federal government on Tuesday filed fresh forgery charge against senior lawyer, Professor Mike Ozekhome, SAN.
The fresh charge bordering on conspiracy, forgery, presentation of false document, and impersonation was brought against the senior lawyer, one PonfaUseni (aka Tali Shani), and a former minister in the military era, General Jeremiah Useni (now deceased).
The 12-count charge was filed few hours after the earlier one filed by Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) last month was withdrawn.
In the new charge filed by Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, the defendants were specifically accused of forging a Nigerian international passport with which they allegedly claimed ownership of a London property.
In counts one to five the defendants were alleged to have, “agreed amongst yourselves to cause to be done an illegal act, to wit: making a false Nigerian International Passport No. A07535463 with the name Tali Shani, and purported same to have been issued by the Nigeria Immigration Service with the intent of using the same to support your claim of a property, lying, being and situate at No. 79 Randall Avenue, London NW2, United Kingdom, and you thereby committed an offence contrary to section 96 of the Penal Code Law 2009 and punishable under section 364 of the same Law”.
According to the counts, they were said to have made a false Nigerian International Passport No. A07535463; conspired amongst themselves to use as genuine a false Nigerian International Passport No. A07535463; dishonestly used as genuine a false Nigerian International Passport No. A07535463 with the name Tali Shani.
In count five, Ponfa Useni (aka Tali Shani), was said to have “on or about May 30, 2020 in Abuja …. falsely personated Tani Shani, a fictitious person and with such assumed character made a Power of Attorney wherein you held yourself out as Tali Shani and you thereby committed an offence contrary to section 179 of the Penal Code Law 2009 and punishable under the same section of the same Law”.
In count six, Ozekhome, was accused of abetting “the commission of an offence to wit: personation of one Tali Shani by Ponfa Useni who with such assumed false character made and executed with you as a party, an Irrevocable Power of Attorney dated May 30, 2020 to facilitate your claim of a property lying, being and situate at No. 79 Randall Avenue, London NW2, United Kingdom and you thereby committed an offence contrary to sections 83, 84 of the Penal Code Law, 2009 and punishable under section 179 of the same law”.
While Ponfa Useni was in count seven alleged to have cheated by personation when he pretended to be one Tali Shani, a fictitious person, the senior lawyer was in count eight accused of abetting cheating by personation when he jointly executed an irrevocable Power of Attorney dated May 30, 2020 with one TaliShani, a fictitious person to facilitate their claim of the disputed London property.
In counts nine, the federal government claimed that the senior lawyer sometime in 2022 had under his control a property at No. 79 Randall Avenue, London NW2, United Kingdom, which property was reasonably suspected to have been unlawfully obtained by General Jeremiah Useni (now deceased) with a factious name Tali Shani.
He was also accused in count 10 of having under his control the sum of Eighteen Thousand Pounds Sterling being part of the rent accrued from the property at No. 79 Randall Avenue, London NW2, United Kingdom, which property was reasonably suspected to have been unlawfully obtained by General Jeremiah Useni (now deceased) with a fictious name Tali Shani.
In count 11, the defendants were said to have sometimes in 2023, “agreed amongst yourselves to cause to be done an illegal act, to wit: making a false document titled: RE: REQUEST FOR AUTHENTICATION OF NIGERIAN PASSPORT NO. A07535463 BELONGING TO MR. TALI SHANI dated May 4, 2023 and purported same to have been issued by the Nigeria Immigration Service with the intent of using the same to support your claim of a property, lying, being and situate at No. 79 Randall Avenue, London NW2, United Kingdom”.
Uncategorized
Lawyer Demands Release of Detained Kano Blogger, Maryam Shehu
By Hassan Agboola
A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza Nuhu Dantani, has called for the immediate release of Kano-based blogger, Maryam Shehu, who he said has been in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for almost 30 days.
Dantani, in a statement on Monday, said the prolonged detention of Shehu was becoming difficult to reconcile with the rule of law and provisions of the 1999 Constitution, particularly her fundamental right to personal liberty.
He questioned why Shehu should remain in detention for nearly 30 days, particularly over an offence he described as ordinarily bailable.
“How on earth can a person be detained for almost 30 days and counting, particularly in relation to an offence that is ordinarily bailable, without meaningful consideration of her liberty and constitutional rights?” he asked.
Dantani said the EFCC’s powers to investigate did not give the commission the right to detain a suspect indefinitely, punish her before trial or disregard her fundamental rights.
He also criticised the alleged practice of photographing persons in EFCC custody and publishing their images online while they remain presumed innocent.
Citing Section 36(5) of the Constitution, Dantani said the law guarantees the presumption of innocence until a suspect is proven guilty by a competent court.
He warned that publicly portraying suspects as criminals before trial could amount to subjecting them to public punishment and humiliation.
“The EFCC is a law-enforcement institution. It must therefore be the first institution to demonstrate obedience to law. It cannot demand respect for law from citizens while appearing to disregard constitutional safeguards itself,” he said.
Dantani urged the commission to either charge Shehu before a competent court if it has credible evidence against her or release her immediately
.
“We call on EFCC to respect the Constitution, respect presumption of innocence and respect fundamental right to personal liberty. Investigation is not conviction. Detention is not punishment. And an allegation is not guilt,” he said.
Uncategorized
Cristiano Ronaldo’s Comment on Lionel Messi’s Tribute to His Dad Becomes Most-Liked Instagram Comment
By Fabian Apechihin
Cristiano Ronaldo’s heartfelt message to Lionel Messi following the death of his father, Jorge Messi, has reportedly become the most-liked comment in Instagram history.
Jorge Messi died on August 7 in Rosario, Argentina, aged 68. Five days later, Messi paid tribute to his late father in an emotional Instagram post featuring a photo of the pair.
In the post, Messi wrote, “Te amo, pa” — meaning “I love you, Dad” — alongside a lengthy tribute reflecting on his father’s influence and the pain of losing him.
Among the many reactions from fans, celebrities and fellow footballers was a message from Ronaldo.
“Un abrazo enorme para ti y los tuyos en estos duros momentos, Leo. Mucha fuerza,” Ronaldo wrote, which translates to: “A huge hug to you and yours in these tough times, Leo. Much strength.”
Ronaldo’s comment reportedly attracted more than 6.86 million likes and over 86,000 comments, making it the most-liked comment on Instagram.
The previous record was also held by Ronaldo, whose comment on Kylian Mbappé’s announcement of his move to Real Madrid reportedly received more than five million likes.
Other football stars also expressed their condolences to Messi. Neymar Jr.’s message, translated as “Much strength for you and your family. Big hug,” reportedly received more than 1.6 million likes, while David Beckham’s comment expressing support for Messi and his family attracted more than 300,000 likes.
In his tribute, Messi described his father’s death as difficult to comprehend, saying he struggled to accept that he would no longer see or speak with him.
Messi also recalled how his father had encouraged him to play at the 2026 World Cup despite his deteriorating health. He said his father had hoped to watch him compete and had planned to travel if his condition improved.
According to Messi, he had promised his father that Argentina would reach the final so he could be there. Although Argentina reached the final, his father was unable to attend.
Reflecting on the loss, Messi said he had wanted to win the tournament and bring the trophy to his father but ultimately struggled physically during the competition.
The emotional tribute highlighted the close bond between Messi and his father and the profound impact of his loss on the football superstar.
Uncategorized
Why Did Senate President, Edo Governor Come to Osun to Monitor Election? – Analyst
By Fabian Apechihin
Aliu Mohammed, Chief Executive Officer of Magnate Communication and Public Affairs Analyst, has questioned the decision of Senate President Godswill Akpabio and Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo to travel to Osun State to monitor the governorship election.
Mohammed raised the question while discussing political developments surrounding the election during an interview with Vanguard News TV on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.
The public affairs analyst wondered why senior political figures, including the Senate President and a governor from another state, would personally travel to Osun to monitor the election when the All Progressives Congress (APC) already had party officials on the ground to represent its interests.
“Why would people at the level of Senate President, the Governor of Edo State, come to Osun State to monitor an election when you have your party officials there?” Mohammed asked.
His comments came amid discussions about the involvement of senior APC figures in the Osun governorship election. Their presence in the state attracted attention as political parties and their supporters monitored the voting process and awaited the outcome.
Mohammed questioned the necessity of having the Senate President and the Edo State Governor physically present in Osun to observe the electoral process.
He argued that party officials ordinarily have the responsibility of monitoring elections and representing their parties at polling locations and other relevant stages of the process.
-
Uncategorized6 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines11 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News12 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology5 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
