Connect with us

Uncategorized

How lakurawa terrorists killed two Customs officers in Kebbi: CGS

Published

on

  • As UNILORIN’s Communication Faculty holds 4th Biennial International Conference

Stephen Olufemi Oni , Ilorin

The Comptroller-General, Nigeria Customs Service, Bashir Adeniyi, has confirmed that two officers of the Service were killed by the Lakurawa terrorists in the early hours of Wednesday in Kebbi State.

Adeniyi said the officers paid the supreme sacrifices while warding -off threats from the terrorists group around 3: am.

The Customs’ boss, who gave the names of the slain officers as ASC Bamigboye and DSC Dom, disclosed this while delivering a keynote address at the Fourth Bi-ennial International Conference organised by the Faculty of Communication and Information Sciences, University of Ilorin, Nigeria, in collaboration with the Faculty of Philology, RUDN University, Russia.

“This morning, (Wednesday) two officers of the Nigeria Customs’ Service paid the supreme sacrifice while warding off the threats from the Lakurawa terrorists in Kebbi’ State,” he said.

Adeniyi regretted that apart from the military, operatives of the Nigeria Customs’ were the “last shield”, in the counter offensive against terrorists in the State.

He said, were it not that he had already arrived Ilorin for the conference, the “disturbing news” would have forced him to abort his trip.

He comiserated with the families of the slain officers, assuring that the incident would not deter the Service and its operatives from carrying out their mandates.

The conference observed a minute silence in honour of the slain officers.

Speaking on the theme of the conference “Disruptive Technology: Human and ArtificiaI Intelligence in the Digital Economy”, Adeniyi said the deployment of AI-risk engine by the Customs in its operations have checkmated corruption and enhanced efficiency in the Service.

He said the “fraiming of AI as human competitors is misleading” even as he pointed out that human intelligence and leadership are still required to drive AI and guide against disruptive economy.

Adeniyi tasked researchers to develop locally relevant applications with low cost devices and one that can drive intermittent connectivity for the purpose of data generation saying that accurate data is still a problem.

In his goodwill message, the Kwara State Governor, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, condoned with the Customs CG over the death of the two slain officers describing them as “patriots”.

Represented by his Special Adviser and Counsellor, Alhaji Saad Salahu, the Governor highlighted various digital initiatives by his administration, including the establishment of Innovation Hub, ICT Centre in igbaja, introduction of KwaraLearn into the state education sector, which, he said, have provided platforms for the youths to explore the digital world .

The Governor, however, advocated laws to regulate the deployment of AI to check its negative implications.

“Today, whatever innovation we have should be guided by laws and ethics”, he said.

On her part, Dean of the Faculty of Communication, Prof. Saudat Salah Abdulbaqi, announced plans by the Faculty to transform its learning centres into smart classrooms while also calling for support from the conference towards the provision of modern studios, laboratories, classrooms, professorial suites, lecture theartres and faculty bus.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Lawyer Demands Release of Detained Kano Blogger, Maryam Shehu

Published

on

By Hassan Agboola

A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza Nuhu Dantani, has called for the immediate release of Kano-based blogger, Maryam Shehu, who he said has been in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for almost 30 days.

Dantani, in a statement on Monday, said the prolonged detention of Shehu was becoming difficult to reconcile with the rule of law and provisions of the 1999 Constitution, particularly her fundamental right to personal liberty.
He questioned why Shehu should remain in detention for nearly 30 days, particularly over an offence he described as ordinarily bailable.

“How on earth can a person be detained for almost 30 days and counting, particularly in relation to an offence that is ordinarily bailable, without meaningful consideration of her liberty and constitutional rights?” he asked.
Dantani said the EFCC’s powers to investigate did not give the commission the right to detain a suspect indefinitely, punish her before trial or disregard her fundamental rights.

He also criticised the alleged practice of photographing persons in EFCC custody and publishing their images online while they remain presumed innocent.
Citing Section 36(5) of the Constitution, Dantani said the law guarantees the presumption of innocence until a suspect is proven guilty by a competent court.

He warned that publicly portraying suspects as criminals before trial could amount to subjecting them to public punishment and humiliation.
“The EFCC is a law-enforcement institution. It must therefore be the first institution to demonstrate obedience to law. It cannot demand respect for law from citizens while appearing to disregard constitutional safeguards itself,” he said.

Dantani urged the commission to either charge Shehu before a competent court if it has credible evidence against her or release her immediately
.
“We call on EFCC to respect the Constitution, respect presumption of innocence and respect fundamental right to personal liberty. Investigation is not conviction. Detention is not punishment. And an allegation is not guilt,” he said.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Comment on Lionel Messi’s Tribute to His Dad Becomes Most-Liked Instagram Comment

Published

on

By Fabian Apechihin

Cristiano Ronaldo’s heartfelt message to Lionel Messi following the death of his father, Jorge Messi, has reportedly become the most-liked comment in Instagram history.

Jorge Messi died on August 7 in Rosario, Argentina, aged 68. Five days later, Messi paid tribute to his late father in an emotional Instagram post featuring a photo of the pair.

In the post, Messi wrote, “Te amo, pa” — meaning “I love you, Dad” — alongside a lengthy tribute reflecting on his father’s influence and the pain of losing him.

Among the many reactions from fans, celebrities and fellow footballers was a message from Ronaldo.

“Un abrazo enorme para ti y los tuyos en estos duros momentos, Leo. Mucha fuerza,” Ronaldo wrote, which translates to: “A huge hug to you and yours in these tough times, Leo. Much strength.”

Ronaldo’s comment reportedly attracted more than 6.86 million likes and over 86,000 comments, making it the most-liked comment on Instagram.

The previous record was also held by Ronaldo, whose comment on Kylian Mbappé’s announcement of his move to Real Madrid reportedly received more than five million likes.

Other football stars also expressed their condolences to Messi. Neymar Jr.’s message, translated as “Much strength for you and your family. Big hug,” reportedly received more than 1.6 million likes, while David Beckham’s comment expressing support for Messi and his family attracted more than 300,000 likes.

In his tribute, Messi described his father’s death as difficult to comprehend, saying he struggled to accept that he would no longer see or speak with him.

Messi also recalled how his father had encouraged him to play at the 2026 World Cup despite his deteriorating health. He said his father had hoped to watch him compete and had planned to travel if his condition improved.

According to Messi, he had promised his father that Argentina would reach the final so he could be there. Although Argentina reached the final, his father was unable to attend.

Reflecting on the loss, Messi said he had wanted to win the tournament and bring the trophy to his father but ultimately struggled physically during the competition.

The emotional tribute highlighted the close bond between Messi and his father and the profound impact of his loss on the football superstar.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Why Did Senate President, Edo Governor Come to Osun to Monitor Election? – Analyst

Published

on

By Fabian Apechihin

Aliu Mohammed, Chief Executive Officer of Magnate Communication and Public Affairs Analyst, has questioned the decision of Senate President Godswill Akpabio and Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo to travel to Osun State to monitor the governorship election.

Mohammed raised the question while discussing political developments surrounding the election during an interview with Vanguard News TV on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.

The public affairs analyst wondered why senior political figures, including the Senate President and a governor from another state, would personally travel to Osun to monitor the election when the All Progressives Congress (APC) already had party officials on the ground to represent its interests.

“Why would people at the level of Senate President, the Governor of Edo State, come to Osun State to monitor an election when you have your party officials there?” Mohammed asked.

His comments came amid discussions about the involvement of senior APC figures in the Osun governorship election. Their presence in the state attracted attention as political parties and their supporters monitored the voting process and awaited the outcome.

Mohammed questioned the necessity of having the Senate President and the Edo State Governor physically present in Osun to observe the electoral process.

He argued that party officials ordinarily have the responsibility of monitoring elections and representing their parties at polling locations and other relevant stages of the process.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.