Uncategorized
One Year After Deadly Attack, Yelwata Residents Hail Troops for Restoring Peace.
One year after a devastating attack that claimed scores of lives and forced residents to flee their homes, normalcy is gradually returning to Yelwata Community in Guma Local Government Area of Benue, with residents attributing the turnaround to the sustained presence and operations of security forces in the area.
Residents say the deployment of troops of the Nigerian Army and other security personnel has transformed what was once a community gripped by fear into one where displaced persons are returning home, children are back in school and farmers are gradually reclaiming their farmlands.
Speaking during an interaction with military authorities and journalists, Mr. Achin Mathias, Publicity Secretary of Yelwata Community, described the security situation in the area as significantly improved compared to what prevailed after the deadly attack of June 18, 2025.
According to him, the attack left the community devastated, with many residents displaced and economic activities brought to a standstill.
He said subsequent attacks also occurred in the months that followed, deepening fears among residents and forcing many families to abandon their homes and seek refuge elsewhere.
However, Mataya said the strategic deployment of military personnel to the community changed the security landscape and restored confidence among residents.
“The situation we are witnessing today is completely different from what we experienced after the tragic incident. The deployment of security personnel has addressed many of the security challenges confronting our community.
“Before now, there were places we could not visit and farmlands we could not access for almost two years because of fear of attacks. Today, because of the heavy presence of security personnel, residents can move around with greater confidence and carry out farming activities,” he said.
Mataya noted that residents can now travel several kilometres from the community without the fear that previously restricted movement.
He explained that before the deployment of troops, many villagers had abandoned their farms and homes due to persistent attacks by armed groups.
According to him, the renewed security presence has encouraged the gradual return of displaced persons to their ancestral homes.
He disclosed that a large percentage of residents who fled the community following the attacks had returned and resumed normal life.
“When the attack occurred, many people were evacuated to safer locations. Today, about 70 per cent of those displaced have returned and are sleeping in their homes again.
“At a point, schools and churches became shelters for displaced persons. The LGEA Primary School and St. Joseph Catholic Mission served as temporary homes for many families. Today, children have returned to school, churches have resumed normal worship activities and people are once again living in their houses,” he said.
The community spokesman particularly commended the operational strategy adopted by military commanders in the area, saying troops were deployed to strategic locations that effectively secured the community and its surroundings.
He praised the efforts of Major Waziri and his troops, whom he credited with strengthening security architecture around Yelwata.
According to him, security positions established in communities around Yelwata have enabled troops to respond swiftly to threats and maintain constant operational pressure on criminal elements.
“Major Waziri has done an excellent job. He positioned troops in strategic locations covering the entire community. If you move towards the western axis, eastern axis or northern axis, you will find security personnel maintaining vigilance and conducting operations.
“The soldiers are constantly carrying out patrols and operational activities. Even when we are on our farms, it is common to see troops moving around on operations. Their presence gives people confidence and a sense of safety,” he said.
Mataya said the military’s persistent operations had contributed significantly to flushing out criminal elements and reducing attacks within the community and surrounding areas.
Despite the gains, he noted that some remote villages located beyond existing security positions remained difficult for displaced residents to access due to lingering fears of attacks.
According to him, many residents still prefer to remain within areas covered by military patrols and security formations.
He therefore appealed for the sustained deployment of troops and the expansion of security coverage to more remote settlements to facilitate the return of all displaced persons.
“Our appeal is that the security operations should be sustained. The soldiers should not relent. Their presence has brought hope back to our people.
“There are still some communities beyond the current security coverage where people are afraid to return. If security presence can be extended further, more displaced residents will be encouraged to go back home and resume their normal lives,” he said.
Mataya also commended the cordial relationship between residents and security personnel, describing it as a partnership that had strengthened community resilience.
He said residents had continued to support troops operating in the area through various forms of assistance, including providing basic necessities and cooperating with security agencies.
“The relationship between the community and the soldiers has been very cordial. Our people appreciate their sacrifices and support their efforts in every way possible.
“We have seen firsthand the commitment of the troops to protecting lives and property, and the community remains grateful for their service,” he said.
Residents expressed optimism that sustained military operations and community cooperation would further consolidate peace and enable the full recovery of communities affected by years of violence.
Uncategorized
Lawyer Demands Release of Detained Kano Blogger, Maryam Shehu
By Hassan Agboola
A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza Nuhu Dantani, has called for the immediate release of Kano-based blogger, Maryam Shehu, who he said has been in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for almost 30 days.
Dantani, in a statement on Monday, said the prolonged detention of Shehu was becoming difficult to reconcile with the rule of law and provisions of the 1999 Constitution, particularly her fundamental right to personal liberty.
He questioned why Shehu should remain in detention for nearly 30 days, particularly over an offence he described as ordinarily bailable.
“How on earth can a person be detained for almost 30 days and counting, particularly in relation to an offence that is ordinarily bailable, without meaningful consideration of her liberty and constitutional rights?” he asked.
Dantani said the EFCC’s powers to investigate did not give the commission the right to detain a suspect indefinitely, punish her before trial or disregard her fundamental rights.
He also criticised the alleged practice of photographing persons in EFCC custody and publishing their images online while they remain presumed innocent.
Citing Section 36(5) of the Constitution, Dantani said the law guarantees the presumption of innocence until a suspect is proven guilty by a competent court.
He warned that publicly portraying suspects as criminals before trial could amount to subjecting them to public punishment and humiliation.
“The EFCC is a law-enforcement institution. It must therefore be the first institution to demonstrate obedience to law. It cannot demand respect for law from citizens while appearing to disregard constitutional safeguards itself,” he said.
Dantani urged the commission to either charge Shehu before a competent court if it has credible evidence against her or release her immediately
.
“We call on EFCC to respect the Constitution, respect presumption of innocence and respect fundamental right to personal liberty. Investigation is not conviction. Detention is not punishment. And an allegation is not guilt,” he said.
Uncategorized
Cristiano Ronaldo’s Comment on Lionel Messi’s Tribute to His Dad Becomes Most-Liked Instagram Comment
By Fabian Apechihin
Cristiano Ronaldo’s heartfelt message to Lionel Messi following the death of his father, Jorge Messi, has reportedly become the most-liked comment in Instagram history.
Jorge Messi died on August 7 in Rosario, Argentina, aged 68. Five days later, Messi paid tribute to his late father in an emotional Instagram post featuring a photo of the pair.
In the post, Messi wrote, “Te amo, pa” — meaning “I love you, Dad” — alongside a lengthy tribute reflecting on his father’s influence and the pain of losing him.
Among the many reactions from fans, celebrities and fellow footballers was a message from Ronaldo.
“Un abrazo enorme para ti y los tuyos en estos duros momentos, Leo. Mucha fuerza,” Ronaldo wrote, which translates to: “A huge hug to you and yours in these tough times, Leo. Much strength.”
Ronaldo’s comment reportedly attracted more than 6.86 million likes and over 86,000 comments, making it the most-liked comment on Instagram.
The previous record was also held by Ronaldo, whose comment on Kylian Mbappé’s announcement of his move to Real Madrid reportedly received more than five million likes.
Other football stars also expressed their condolences to Messi. Neymar Jr.’s message, translated as “Much strength for you and your family. Big hug,” reportedly received more than 1.6 million likes, while David Beckham’s comment expressing support for Messi and his family attracted more than 300,000 likes.
In his tribute, Messi described his father’s death as difficult to comprehend, saying he struggled to accept that he would no longer see or speak with him.
Messi also recalled how his father had encouraged him to play at the 2026 World Cup despite his deteriorating health. He said his father had hoped to watch him compete and had planned to travel if his condition improved.
According to Messi, he had promised his father that Argentina would reach the final so he could be there. Although Argentina reached the final, his father was unable to attend.
Reflecting on the loss, Messi said he had wanted to win the tournament and bring the trophy to his father but ultimately struggled physically during the competition.
The emotional tribute highlighted the close bond between Messi and his father and the profound impact of his loss on the football superstar.
Uncategorized
Why Did Senate President, Edo Governor Come to Osun to Monitor Election? – Analyst
By Fabian Apechihin
Aliu Mohammed, Chief Executive Officer of Magnate Communication and Public Affairs Analyst, has questioned the decision of Senate President Godswill Akpabio and Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo to travel to Osun State to monitor the governorship election.
Mohammed raised the question while discussing political developments surrounding the election during an interview with Vanguard News TV on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.
The public affairs analyst wondered why senior political figures, including the Senate President and a governor from another state, would personally travel to Osun to monitor the election when the All Progressives Congress (APC) already had party officials on the ground to represent its interests.
“Why would people at the level of Senate President, the Governor of Edo State, come to Osun State to monitor an election when you have your party officials there?” Mohammed asked.
His comments came amid discussions about the involvement of senior APC figures in the Osun governorship election. Their presence in the state attracted attention as political parties and their supporters monitored the voting process and awaited the outcome.
Mohammed questioned the necessity of having the Senate President and the Edo State Governor physically present in Osun to observe the electoral process.
He argued that party officials ordinarily have the responsibility of monitoring elections and representing their parties at polling locations and other relevant stages of the process.
-
Uncategorized6 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines11 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News12 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology5 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
