News
Kwara will complete all abandoned projects, says AbdulRazak
By Steve Oni, Ilorin
Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has given the assurance that his administration would complete all abandoned or uncompleted projects in the state. Ignoring them, he noted, would amount to wasting public funds already sunk into them.
AbdulRazaq, who spoke through his deputy, Mr. Kayode Alabi, also said he inherited a decrepit Government House which he said reflected the general breakdown of infrastructure in the state, adding however that he has chosen to prioritise things that directly affect people’s welfare instead of embarking on rehabilitation of his own office when he assumed office on May 29.
“As your Royal Highness may have noticed, the Government House we inherited needs urgent rehabilitation as many parts of it are just not fit for habitation. This is reflective of the general decay in public infrastructure statewide,” he said on Tuesday when the Emir of Ilorin, Dr Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari, paid the traditional Bareke visit to the Government House.
“In the circumstances we cannot in good conscience prioritise rehabilitation of my office to the neglect of urgent matters like lack of potable water, bad roads, unpaid gratuities, abandoned projects, comatose state media, especially Radio Kwara, resurgence of polio, stagnant education sector and striking workers, appalling healthcare system, and many more.
“I’m glad to inform Your Royal Highness that all of these issues have received our attention since we came on board. We have also resolved not to allow Kwara become a mortuary for abandoned projects. This explains why we recently paid N350m to the contractors for the completion of the new State Secretariat Complex. We have also given similar assurances to contractors handling all road projects, most of which had been abandoned before we came on board.”
The Governor said his administration has started fixing three major water works across the three senatorial districts, namely the Asa Dam, Lafiagi Waterworks, and Igbaja waterworks, to make water available to the people of the state.
He listed other steps he has taken to include the resuscitation of Radio Kwara, the commencement of fresh round of polio vaccination, resolution of the crises at the Colleges of Education, ending Kwara’s pariah status at the Universal Basic Education Commission with the payment of its N450m debt, payment of various counterparts funds in health sector and road construction, payment of N100m gratuities to pensioners, payment of running costs to government ministries after many years, and ongoing talks with federal and development agencies to develop the state.
“Let me reassure Your Royal Highness that this administration has tremendous respect for our traditional institutions. We see these institutions as partners in our effort to relaunch Kwara into national reckoning,” AbdulRazaq added.
“To that extent, we will continue to support the institutions to deliver on their mandate as the custodians of our diverse cultures. In return, we urge the traditional institutions to support our programmes in the overall interest of our people and our effort to continue to keep Kwara safe for investments and socioeconomic stability.”
The Emir, for his part, said this year’s Bareke was the first since the Governor was inaugurated and commended the administration for its strides.
Sulu-Gambari called for tolerance, understanding and peaceful coexistence among residents of the state
He prayed to the Almighty God to continue to strengthen the good bond between the Governor and his deputy, saying this would go a long way to promote unity and peace in the state.
Dignitaries at the Bareke included the Deputy Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly, Rapheal Olarewaju Adetiba; Chief of Staff, Government House, Adisa Logun; the Head of Service, Susan Modupe Oluwole; Permanent Secretaries; former Grand Kadhi of Kwara State, Justice Solihu Olountoyin Muhammad; ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) State Chairman, Bashir Omolaja Bolarinwa; State Secretary of the party, Mustapha Isowo; and top APC chieftains, Akogun Iyiola Oyedepo and Kunle Suleiman.
News
Tinubu Mega Group Mobilises 1,500, Endorses Tinubu’s Second Term Bid
The nation’s capital, Abuja, witnessed a massive political gathering on Tuesday as thousands of supporters under the umbrella of the Tinubu Mega Group (TMG) staged what organisers described as a “National Unity Rally” in support of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and his re election bid ahead of the 2027 presidential election.The rally, which attracted participants from across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, brought together over 1,500 groups comprising professionals, civil society organisations, youth associations, religious leaders, artisans, traders, women groups, and grassroots mobilisers.At the rally, the coalition formally presented what it described as the endorsement of “20 million Nigerians” for another four years of President Tinubu’s administration, insisting that ongoing economic and structural reforms must be sustained beyond 2027.Addressing the gathering, the National Spokesperson of the Tinubu Mega Group, Tijani Ali Danjuma, said the rally represented the collective voice of Nigerians who believe in continuity, stability, and national progress.According to him, despite prevailing economic difficulties and global challenges, the Tinubu administration has demonstrated courage and direction in tackling inherited national problems.He highlighted ongoing infrastructure projects, renewed investments in local refining, economic stabilisation efforts, improved support for state governments, social intervention programmes, and reforms targeted at strengthening local governance and attracting investments.“The student loan programme has opened new opportunities for young Nigerians. Efforts are ongoing to strengthen the naira, improve food production, and reposition the economy for long term growth,” he stated.Danjuma added that the massive turnout at the rally was proof that support for the President cuts across regions, sectors, and religious affiliations.“To those spreading false narratives and attempting to create division, our answer is simple, the people have spoken. Nigerians are choosing continuity over confusion and progress over propaganda,” he declared.Also speaking at the rally on behalf of Nigerian professionals, Dr. Tabuko Kennedy said professionals across critical sectors of the economy were backing the administration because reforms require consistency and continuity to succeed.Representing doctors, lawyers, engineers, academics, entrepreneurs, creatives, artisans, and technocrats, Kennedy argued that abandoning ongoing reforms midway could negatively affect national development.He maintained that President Tinubu had shown commitment toward rebuilding the economy, strengthening infrastructure, improving revenue generation, supporting local industries, and creating opportunities for Nigerian youths.“As professionals, we understand that difficult reforms are never easy at the beginning, but we also know that abandoning reforms halfway can damage national progress,” he said.Kennedy further declared that “there is NO VACANCY in Aso Rock in 2027,” a statement that drew loud cheers from supporters at the venue.The Christian community was represented by Bishop Kola Oyedepo, who described the current phase of Nigeria’s development as a period requiring patience, sacrifice, wisdom, and collective responsibility.The cleric noted that leadership often demands difficult decisions and urged Nigerians not to allow bitterness, division, or destructive politics to derail ongoing efforts aimed at repositioning the country.According to him, reforms initiated under President Tinubu, including economic restructuring, infrastructure development, educational support through student loans, and efforts to improve local refining capacity, were necessary foundations for a stronger Nigeria.“Every wise builder must first lay a solid foundation. Nigeria today is in the process of rebuilding and restructuring its foundation for a stronger future,” the bishop stated.He urged Nigerians to continue praying for the country and its leaders while reiterating support for continuity in governance.“There is NO VACANCY in Aso Rock in 2027,” he added.Similarly, Islamic cleric Sheik Abubakar Mustapha called for patience, peace, unity, and support for national development efforts.The Imam acknowledged the economic and social challenges facing the country, but stressed that meaningful reforms require time, perseverance, and courageous leadership.He commended the administration’s focus on infrastructure, education support initiatives, governance reforms, and local refining projects aimed at strengthening national productivity.“We must not allow division, hatred, or politics of bitterness to weaken our country. Instead, we must support unity, peaceful coexistence, and responsible leadership,” he said.Mustapha also aligned with the position of the organisers, insisting that Nigerians who desire stability and sustained development understand that “there is NO VACANCY in Aso Rock in 2027.”Observers described the rally as one of the largest political mobilisation efforts witnessed in Abuja in recent months, with participants carrying banners, placards, and campaign materials bearing inscriptions such as “20 Million Nigerians Support Tinubu,” “Continuity for National Development,” and “One Voice, One Vision, One Nigeria.”The rally ended peacefully with prayers for national unity, economic recovery, and sustained democratic governance in Nigeria.
News
Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu Reaffirms Nigeria’s Commitment to One-China Principle
Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu, Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on China–Nigeria Parliamentary Relations, has restated Nigeria’s unwavering adherence to the One-China Principle, cautioning politicians against actions that could undermine the country’s diplomatic position on Taiwan.
Yakubu stressed that Nigeria’s stance on the Taiwan question is “clear, consistent, and firmly rooted in international law, diplomatic principles, and bilateral agreements with the People’s Republic of China.” He underscored that since 1971, Nigeria has recognized the government of the People’s Republic of China as the sole legal authority representing the whole of China, with Taiwan regarded as an inalienable part of its territory.
“Nigeria opposes any form of ‘Taiwan Independence’ or interference in the internal affairs of China and firmly supports all efforts made by the Chinese government to achieve national reunification,” Yakubu declared.
He warned that any official or unofficial gesture suggesting support for separatist tendencies or Taiwan independence activities would contradict Nigeria’s established foreign policy and risk weakening the strong diplomatic ties between Abuja and Beijing.
Yakubu highlighted China’s role as a dependable strategic partner to Nigeria, particularly in infrastructure development, trade, investment, technology transfer, and human capacity building. He noted that bilateral trade between the two nations exceeded $28 billion in 2025, a 30.2 percent increase from the previous year, with China’s exports to Nigeria reaching $24.9 billion, driven by demand for machinery, electronics, and industrial inputs.
The lawmaker urged members of the National Assembly, political leaders, and public officials to exercise caution in their engagements, stressing the importance of preserving Nigeria’s foreign policy integrity. He further assured that the House Committee on China–Nigeria Relations remains committed to strengthening parliamentary cooperation and advancing the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between both countries.
Yakubu concluded by calling on Nigerians to support policies that reinforce the nation’s diplomatic interests, international credibility, and mutually beneficial cooperation with China.
News
Centre, CSOs Decry Use of Substandard Building Materials, Building Collapse
Center for Peace, Transparency and Accountability (CPTA) and coalition of over 50 civil society organizations have raised concerns over growing activities of unqualified contractors, the circulation of substandard building materials, corruption in procurement processes, and the disregard for approved construction standards.
According to the coalition, the practices have continued to weaken public safety and reduce confidence in national infrastructure systems.
Executive Director of CPTA Comrade Patrick Ogheneyero Jr. stated this yesterday in Abuja, during NBRRI’s engagement with CSO’s on building standard compliance in Abuja.
He said the engagement is both timely and necessary, saying “Across Nigeria, recurring cases of building collapse, substandard construction, weak regulatory compliance, and poor enforcement continue to threaten lives, investments, and public confidence.”
“We believe this engagement should lead to practical outcomes, including stronger collaboration among NBRRI, regulatory agencies, professional bodies, and anti-corruption institutions to ensure strict compliance with building standards and professional regulations,” he said.
He said every failed structure represents more than an engineering failure, adding that it reflects gaps in oversight, accountability, regulation, and professional ethics.
He said these challenges undermine the safety and stability of our communities.
“Infrastructure integrity remains directly connected to economic growth, urban development, national security, and public safety. Roads, bridges, schools, hospitals, and housing projects are not merely physical assets; they are symbols of governance, credibility, and national progress.
“In this regard, the role of NBRRI remains critical. As Nigeria’s leading research institution in building and road development, the Institute plays a strategic role in promoting standards, innovation, indigenous technologies, and quality assurance within the construction sector,” he said.
Comrade Ogheneyero while commending NBRRI for the engagement however, noted that
research and standards alone cannot deliver results without effective implementation and enforcement, adding that Civil society organizations therefore have an important responsibility to support transparency, accountability, and public awareness in the construction and infrastructure sectors.
“This initiative reflects openness, professionalism, and commitment to national development. Sustainable progress can only be achieved when public institutions and citizens work together in trust and partnership,” he said.
He called for greater public awareness on the dangers of poor construction practices and uncertified materials, urging the government to invest more in local research, innovation, and affordable indigenous building technologies developed to address Nigeria’s environmental and developmental realities.
-
Uncategorized5 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines10 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News12 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology5 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
