News
Kano Emirate: The intrigues and controversies of deposition
Since the formation of Kano Emirate in 1805, attempts were made twice to split the emirate. The two administrations hinged their reasons on the need to boost development in the state.
Late Abubakar Rimi, who was governor from 1979 to 1983 created five emirates out of Kano Emirate.
However, his successor, Alhaji Sabo Bakin-Zuwo reversed the creation.
Many Nigerians saw it coming, when incumbent governor, Alhaji Abdullahi Ganduje, on May 8, 2019, assented to the bill passed by the Kano State House of Assembly, seeking the decentralisation of the Kano Emirate.
ALSO READ:EKEDC commiserates with victims of Abule Ado gas explosion
Ganduje justified the creation, as he claimed that it was the wish of Kano people.
“With the creation of more emirates, all sectors of the society would improve. It will also lead to more concentration on our health, education and other equally important sectors of the society.
“That is the popular wish of our people, the people of Kano State. This will also go a long way in hastening growth and development of the state.
“The efforts didn’t get through many years ago, but now we are happy to see that the idea would come into fruition.’’
He further explains that the development will allow the state to re-examine history, insisting that the emirates were created to reduce the burden on the Kano Emirate.
“The creation of the additional emirates will allow us to re-examine history, this is not something new in Kano, it has happened before.
“We created emirates based on the aspirations and yearnings of our people. I am sure this development will lead to rapid development in the affected areas.’’
The new law authorised the creation of four emirates with first class emirs.
The emirates are: Rano, Karaye, Bichi and Gaya.
Irrespective of Ganduje’s claim, analysts say it was targeted at the deposed Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi II, who is believed to have a frosty political relationship with Ganduje.
Although efforts were made to stop the process of creating new emirates, all the efforts failed.
Concerned citizens of the state had earlier expressed concern about the speed in which the governor assented to the bill seeking the creation of more emirates.
Some of them weave up sentiments, recalling that in 1963, the Premier of Northern Region, Sir Ahmadu Bello, dethroned Muhammadu Sanusi I, the grandfather of Muhammadu Sanusi II.
Similarly, they recalled that former Gov. Abubakar Rimi in 1981, restricted traditional homage paid by village heads to Ado Bayero and excised some domains from his emirate.
In 1982, Rimi returned the dethroned Sanusi I to Wudil, near Kano and created four new emirates, a development critics said was designed to spite the emir.
Political analysts believe that Ganduje and the deposed emir have endured a frosty relationship for quite some time because of the deposed emir’s political views and criticisms of some of the governor’s policies and actions.
The deposed emir was accused of partisanship during the March 9, 2019 Governorship and State House of Assembly Elections in which Ganduje of the All Progressives Congress (APC) won.
Outright winner did not emerge at first ballot; Ganduje polled 953,522 votes, while Alhaji Abba Kabir-Yusuf of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) polled 1,014,353 votes
The deposed emir was then accused of supporting Kabir-Yusuf, the preferred candidate of Kwankwaso, a development many analysts believe to be the cause of the emir’s challenge.
Creating more emirates, was therefore, perceived as an attempt to reduce the powers of the emir.
The initial refusal of the deposed emir to appear before a panel that was investigating allegations of corruption against him did not go down well with the government.
Apart from this, the dethroned emir was accused of not attending state functions and official meetings, which the government said amounted to “total insubordination’’.
He was also accused of selling government property and mismanaging funds, but he secured a court order stopping the probe by the Kano Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Commission.
In spite of the court order, the Kano State House of Assembly began a fresh probe of the deposed emir, and announced that the assembly received two petitions against the deposed emir.
He was accused of unethical conduct that contradicted the culture and tradition of Kano people.
The Kano Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Commission had earlier submitted a report to Kano State Government recommending the suspension of the emir.
It further explained that the fresh investigation had nothing to do with alleged mismanagement of N3.4billion by the Emirate Council.
But on March 9, a letter signed by Alhaji Usman Alhaji, Secretary to Kano State Government, was addressed to Sanusi, informing him that he had been deposed from the throne of Emir of Kano by the Kano State Government.
The letter stated that the Kano State Executive Council during its meeting on March 9, approved of the action and directed the immediate removal and dethronement of Sanusi as the Emir of Kano.
The letter further stated that the decision to depose the emir was taken due to Sanusi’s alleged general “disrespect’’ to lawful instructions from the authorities.
Also, the letter stated that the decision was to safeguard the sanctity, culture, tradition and prestige of the Kano Emirate.
Sanusi accepted his removal in good faith.
He said: “I have been on this throne for almost six years and (in charge of) our heritage. Today, the almighty Allah, who gave me the leadership, has destined to take it back.
“As I always say, leadership has predetermined tenure; the days Allah destined are numbered. When the days come to an end, one must leave; we have accepted whatever Allah decides.
“We have agreed. We appreciate (God). We are happy and we know it is what is best for us.
“We enjoin everyone to remain peaceful. We have directed our family, our children and those that support us that whoever gets it and is endorsed by the people they should pay allegiance to him.
“They should follow him (the new emir). They should guard his honour and dignity because that is also the honour and dignity of this palace.
“It is a thing of pride that made us to rule and end in the same fashion as Halifa.”
Sanusi was `banished’ to Nasarawa State, but later got his freedom via a court order, to live in a place of his choice, except Kano. He decided for Lagos.
Only time will tell, whether or not there will be another Bakin-Zuwo, to revert the action.
News
Pius Akutah’s Alleged Fraud at Nigerian Shippers Council Uncovered
Investigations by Nigerian Concord Newspaper reveal that the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Shippers Council, Mr. Pius Akutah, has allegedly misappropriated public funds for a lavish lifestyle.
According to our findings, within months of assuming office, Akutah allegedly purchased a bulletproof SUV valued at approximately N850 million. In addition, he is reported to have acquired over twenty exotic SUVs for use as a convoy.
Akutah is also said to have acquired multiple high-value properties, including three in Abuja’s Maitama and Asokoro districts worth over N2 billion, and two in Lagos’ Banana Island valued at N1.8 billion. These acquisitions appear far beyond the scope of his official salary and allowances.
Further investigation suggests that Akutah may be using public funds to support political ambitions, including allegedly grooming militants across 23 local government areas in Benue State for a potential 2027 gubernatorial bid.
Staff of the Shippers Council reportedly claim that Akutah frequently accesses the council’s treasury without proper authorization. Some insiders have indicated that a petition will soon be filed with the EFCC, ICPC, and the Presidency to report his alleged misconduct.
*
News
Pius Akutah’s Alleged Fraud at Nigerian Shippers Council Uncovered
Investigations by Nigerian Concord Newspaper reveal that the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Shippers Council, Mr. Pius Akutah, has allegedly misappropriated public funds for a lavish lifestyle.
According to our findings, within months of assuming office, Akutah allegedly purchased a bulletproof SUV valued at approximately N850 million. In addition, he is reported to have acquired over twenty exotic SUVs for use as a convoy.
Akutah is also said to have acquired multiple high-value properties, including three in Abuja’s Maitama and Asokoro districts worth over N2 billion, and two in Lagos’ Banana Island valued at N1.8 billion. These acquisitions appear far beyond the scope of his official salary and allowances.
Further investigation suggests that Akutah may be using public funds to support political ambitions, including allegedly grooming militants across 23 local government areas in Benue State for a potential 2027 gubernatorial bid.
Staff of the Shippers Council reportedly claim that Akutah frequently accesses the council’s treasury without proper authorization. Some insiders have indicated that a petition will soon be filed with the EFCC, ICPC, and the Presidency to report his alleged misconduct.
*
News
Special Birthday Wishes to Zege Mule U Tiv & Wazirin Adamawa
I am writing to felicitate with Your Excellency, Atku Abubakar, GCON, former Vice-President of Nigeria (Zege Mule u Tiv & Wazirin Adamawa)
on the occasion of your 79th birthday anniversary.
I join your teeming admirers globally in celebrating you on this special day, an adorable Statesman and my Boss.
I recall with nostalgia, how countless generations have benefited from your generosity, wealth of experience and benevolence including being my key benefactor even as a young lawyer for my professional success.
Your Excellency, may your special day be filled with grandeur befitting your illustrious career.
I wish you continued success, prosperity, and an unending stream of accolades.
It takes a remarkable kind of fortitude to remain active in public life well into one’s golden years. Your dedication and patriotism remain truly exceptional.
May you enjoy a day of reflection on your many years of fruitful service to humanity. It is my prayer that God Almighty grants you many more healthy, fruitful, and fulfilling years ahead, and continues to endow you with wisdom, strength, and the grace to keep contributing to our nation-building.
Happy Birthday, Your Excellency.
Michael Kaase Aondoakaa SAN.
Former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice
-
Uncategorized5 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines10 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News11 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology4 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
