Connect with us

Uncategorized

N- Power : Senate Intervention rekindles hope for beneficiaries on outstanding N81billion Allowance

Published

on

From Lateef Taiwo

The Senate Tuesday rekindles hope of beneficiaries of N- Power programme across the country on payment of outstanding N81billion monthly allowance by the Federal Government.

Intervention of the Senate came through its Deputy President, Senator Barau Jibrin who brokered understanding between the Federal Government , aggrieved beneficiaries of the scheme who are still being owned 2022, 2023 monthly allowances totalling N81billion and their counsel, Barrister Abba Hikima .

After about an two hours tripartite meeting in his office , the Deputy President of the Senate told journalists that the beneficiaries being owed months of unpaid allowances which were inherited by the current administration , have agreed to stop their intended litigation against the federal government .

He said : ” The beneficiaries came here to the Senate to seek for my intervention. And then I called the Minister, and the Minister was very responsive.

“He came on board, and there was a fruitful discussion that led for them to understand that the Minister had already gone very far in making preparation for the money to be paid.

“So having gotten convinced that there is a clear intention on the part of government to get the money paid they now decided to back down and stay action on the legal route to get the money paid and I showed them that this is a government that is responsive and really up and doing in terms of making sure that nobody suffers in terms of getting what is due to them in line with the renewed hope agenda of President Bola Tinubu .

“Though the problem is inherited but the present government as clearly stated and assured by the Minister of State for Housing and Urban Development, is doing every thing possible to solve it with payment of allowances owed the beneficiaries”

Also explaining the outcome of the meeting , the Minister said intervention made by the Deputy President of the Senate , yielded positive results for parties concerned which are , the federal government and the beneficiaries of the N – Power programme .

” I want to first thank the Deputy Senate President for convening this meeting for us to treat the case that has been for years now, the issue of payment of the backlog of our end-power beneficiaries, which we are owing, or owing them.

“We acknowledge the fact that we are owing them, and we know we are owing them, but it was actually part of the 2022 and 2023 budget that was not paid to them, and because it was recurrent, it passes along with the year’s budget.

“There was no provision for it in 2024 and 2025, so we sought for it at the service-wide vote. We got approval, but it was late for last year, so we are working on the approval for this year to ensure that once we get the budget implementation for this year 2025, we have to find a way of making those payments to the beneficiaries.

“I think being a responsive government, we’re not denying the fact that we have that as part of the issue we need to resolve and it will surely be resolved before the year runs out “, he said

Confirming the stay of litigation due to the intervention, the counsel of the beneficiaries , Barrister Abba Hikima said : ” As explained by the Honorable Minister, the government is owing my clients about N81billion and he has given us his words that they are working on it and they are waiting for this year’s budget to begin to be implemented, and that as soon as the budget is being implemented, they can get access to their money.

“Although I’m their lawyer, but I really appreciate the effort of the Deputy Senate President who, despite the fact that he is not directly affected by this, took it upon himself to convene this meeting, as well as the Honorable Minister of State and as well as the Humanitarian Minister.

“They are all here and they have all given us their words, and we have taken them for it, and we are confident and hopeful that in the nearest future, within the year, definitely, this money is expected to be paid”.

The Chairman of the N- Power beneficiaries in Nigeria , Kehinde James thanked the Deputy President of the Senate for his intervention and the two ministers for their assurances .

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

TAU reaffirms commitment to globally competitive learning

Published

on

  • As 16 graduands make First Class

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin

The Thomas Adewumi University (TAU), Oko-Irese, in the Irepodun local government area of Kwara State, has reaffirmed its commitment to strengthening quality education, innovation, and globally competitive learning.

Speaking at the institution’s 2nd Convocation ceremony in Oko-Irese, the Vice Chancellor of the University, Professor Francisca Onaolapo Oladipo, said TAU is living up to its ranking as the fastest growing institution in Science, Technology, Engineering, Medicine, and Innovation (STEM-i) ecosystem by surpassing more than 100 percent in its number of graduating students at the second convocation.

She said: “TAU emerged on April 8, 2021, as Nigeria’s fastest-growing Science, Technology, Engineering, Medicine and Innovations (STEM-i) ecosystem. Today, we rank 1st among the 20 private universities that were licensed in
2021, 4th among the 14 Universities in Kwara State, 5th among Nigeria’s over 170 private Universities and 50th nationally, an impressive rise reflecting our unwavering commitment to excellence.

”What a Moment of Extraordinary Significance today, we stand at a crossroads far more significant than words can adequately capture. Exactly one year ago, we gathered at this very Auditorium to celebrate our inaugural Convocation, a ceremony that marked the graduation of 26 pioneering students who dared to believe in a vision when others saw only impossibility. Those 26 trailblazers proved that Thomas Adewumi University was not just a dream, but a reality rooted in excellence. Today, as we honour 63 outstanding graduates, we witness something far more profound than numerical growth.

“This 142% increase in our graduating class is not merely a statistic to be recorded in annual reports, it is a declaration that Thomas Adewumi University has transcended the realm of promise and entered the domain of proof.

“We have moved from potential to performance, from aspiration to achievement, from vision to velocity.
This year, 63 graduands from 4 Faculties and 11 academic programmes are being conferred. It is noteworthy that we have 16 First Class graduates, 40 in Second Class Upper Division, and 7 in Second Class Lower Division. These results reflect the quality of training and mentorship provided at Thomas Adewumi University, and we are proud to contribute these innovators to both the Nigerian and global workforce, confident that they will make a meaningful
impact.

”Preparing Globally Competitive Graduates, these 63 graduands are not merely degree holders, they are comprehensively prepared global professionals equipped with exceptional advantages that set them apart from their peers nationwide. Through our international partnerships, these graduates have obtained additional microcredentials from MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Berkeley, and Yale, world-class certifications from Alison, UK, RUDN professional University, Russia, World Bank’s Saylor Academy, Google, ICAN, and the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development initiatives in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence.

“Our Coursera collaboration provided them with additional industry certifications, while partnerships with Microsoft, IBM SkillsBuild, and MIT OpenCourseWare through our Global Campus initiative democratize access to cutting-edge knowledge. They are thus fully equipped to embark on meaningful and innovative careers in today’s technology-driven world.”

Earlier in his Convocation Lecture, titled “Crowdfunding Opportunities forstartups: Equiping Nigerian graduates for a sustainable future”, Dr. Bayo Williams Olugbemi charged the graduads on the mindset of job creation, saying “as a graduate, your future is not defined by what Nigeria gives you, but by what you create. The idea of crowdfunding is the idea of hope. It is proof that when people come together, ideas once impossible become achievable.

“I urge you not to think only about searching for jobs. Instead, think about creating value, and if capital is a barrier, remember: “The crowd can be your first investor.”

In his goodwill message, the Executive Secretary of the National University Commission, Professor Abdullahi Ribadu, represented by Esther I. Eyo, Esq commended the resilience of TAU management said “NUC acknowledges TAU sustained progress in advancing quality teaching, impactful research, innovation, and community engagement, all of which align with our national aspiration for a globally competitive and knowledge-driven university system.

“It would interest you to know that, in the accreditation exercise conducted in 2023, Thomas Adewumi University achieved a 100% Full Accreditation status across all programmes assessed a laudable feat that reflects the University’s strong commitment to maintaining high academic standards.”

Also speaking, the Founder/Chancellor of the institution, Dr. (Engr) Johnson Adewumi, urged the graduands to be good ambassadors of the University, adding: “Remember that your degree is not an end but a beginning, go forth with courage, humility, and a sense of responsibility. Strive to illuminate whatever space you occupy with the light of integrity, excellence and service.”

Highlight of the event was the conferment of an honorary doctorate degree on two distinguished personalities; Engr Oluseyi Afolabi and Pastor Oladokun Olatunde.

End

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

photo

Published

on

L-r Speaker, House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas; President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio and Nigeria’s First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, during the dinner for members of the National Assembly by the First Lady yesterday. Photo: Senate President’s Office.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

JUST IN: Even Tinubu moves with too many police escorts – Senator Ndume

Published

on

By Hassan Taiye

Senator Ali Ndume has criticised what he described as the excessive use of security convoys by top government officials, including President Bola Tinubu, warning that the practice leaves ordinary citizens exposed and vulnerable.

Speaking on Politics Today on Channels Television on Thursday, Ndume said many public office holders move with security details that are unnecessarily large, even when their positions do not warrant such heavy protection.

He recalled visiting the residence of a colleague and finding “more than 10 policemen” attached to him, despite the lawmaker being junior to him in the National Assembly.

Ndume further argued that the presidential convoy itself is excessively large, stressing that security efforts should be focused on protecting the overall environment rather than individual personalities.

He said: “I went to one of my colleagues’ house for dinner. And I saw more than 10 policemen. He is even my junior in the National Assembly. Some of them, if you see them coming, you will pull back thinking that maybe it’s the President or the Vice President that is coming.

You can see even the president, the convoy that the president goes about with is too much. Secure the place and when the president goes, you withdraw. Secure Abuja and the president can even drive out, you know, himself.

But when you secure personalities, and this is what is happening in Nigeria, then others, common people, as we call them, become vulnerable, and we don’t care. So if you secure Abuja, then you can drive at night. And let me tell you, this is what is happening in most countries”.

The lawmaker’s comments come just days after President Tinubu ordered the withdrawal of police officers from VIP escort and guard duties.

In a statement, the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said the directive was aimed at redeploying police manpower to core law enforcement responsibilities.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.