Connect with us

Defence/Security

Obaseki Orders Reaccreditation Of Over 6,500 Vigilante Personnel, Moves To Boost Security

Published

on

From our Correspondent

The Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has ordered the reaccreditation of all operatives of the State’s Security Vigilante Network, numbering over 6,500, in a renewed effort to strengthen the State’s security architecture to combat crime and ensure the security of lives and property of residents.

Obaseki gave the order during a security briefing at the Solomon Arase Command and Control Centre in Benin City, the Edo State capital, in the company of all security chiefs in the State.

Reassuring the government’s commitment to the security of lives and property of Edo people, Obaseki said his government will continue to collaborate with security agencies to combat crime and criminality in the State.

He said, “We are having this security briefing this morning to let the public know the measures that security agencies and Edo State Government are doing to secure lives and properties in Edo State.

“We all are aware of the security challenges in the State this weekend, particularly in Edo North, where in the guise of burial some citizens resulted to arson and assault on security agencies in Oja Village.

He said, Government can’t fold its hands and allow a breakdown of law and order in the State as appropriate actions will be taken and we have resolved to deal with what happened last Saturday. We will not accept a situation where citizens attack members of the security agencies, it’s not acceptable. As a government, we will deal with those involved in the incident.

On reaccreditation of the vigilante in the State, Obaseki said, “We heard some kidnappers took over a checkpoint and attacked some policemen on patrol, but none lost their lives in the incident and this has prompted the government to commence a total revamp of the vigilante structure.

Adding that, from today, only the vigilante personnel trained in the Nigerian Police Training School under the arrangement with the Edo State Government will be allowed to serve in Edo State. All vigilante groups and persons trained so far, about 6,500 men, are required to report to the Police Staff College where they received training for accreditation. The commander will be issuing instructions on the specific dates for reaccreditation.”

He added, “After the reaccreditation, anybody or group acting as vigilantes without being trained by the Edo State Government will be dealt with like criminals. Come out for the exercise, as we want to re-identify them and put them in our security information system software that we have developed. It will help monitor and track their activities.”

The governor, while reassuring sustained partnership with security agencies in the State, said, “The State will collaborate with Federal agencies, manning 24/7 hours Command and Control Center to ensure any incident, crime or breach of security is reported and all security agencies are in full alert to deal with such.

“Citizens are encouraged to call the security emergency numbers 112 or 739. These numbers should be called in any time of distress or security breaches in Edo State.”

Reassuring potential investors that the State is safe and secure for business, the governor noted, “We are introducing this security alert because we are aware and have had reports that some players in the political space naturally benefit from crisis situation, and we had reports that some are trying to bring in miscreants to man and support their political structure.

“We are aware and Edo will be peaceful as my administration will deal with anybody who takes action to upset our security like a common criminal.”

He added, “We are not waiting for incidents to happen before we respond. We are addressing issues ahead of time and want to inform the people that we now have a fully manned Command and Control Center as our security emergencies numbers are now active.”

On his part, the Edo State Commissioner of Police, Funsho Adegboye said “Edo State Government in collaboration with the Inspector General of Police is bringing in about 4,000 policemen into the State to ensure peace and development in the State.”

Also, Commander 4 Brigade Nigerian Army, Brig. Gen. Ebenezer Oduyebo said his men will continue to collaborate and support other sister security agencies to ensure the safety and security of the people.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Defence/Security

Why Christians Are Being Targeted in Nigeria — Majeed Dahiru Speaks

Published

on

By: Fabian Apechihin

Public affairs analyst, Majeed Dahiru, has weighed in on the reports of targeted killings of Christians in Nigeria, insisting that President Bola Tinubu cannot be accused of religious bias or complicity in the country’s security challenges.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today, Dahiru said President Tinubu has shown a strong commitment to national security and unity since taking office.

“President Tinubu has not, by any stretch of the imagination, been accused of religious bigotry or having sympathy for Islamist jihadist terror groups,” he stated.

According to him, the president has mobilised the armed forces and other security agencies to combat insurgency and restore stability in violence-prone regions.

Dahiru acknowledged that attacks on Christians in some parts of the country remain worrisome but maintained that there has been visible progress in the fight against terrorism and banditry.

“Absolutely not. You can criticise him for every other thing, but not for religious bias. There is no way he would sit idly as Commander-in-Chief and allow or encourage the killing of Christians,” he added.

His comments follow heightened international concern over alleged religiously motivated killings in Nigeria.

On October 31, former U.S. President Donald Trump described the situation as a “mass slaughter,” warning that Christianity faces an existential threat in Nigeria.

Trump also directed Congressman Riley Moore and House Appropriations Chairman Tom Cole to investigate the reported killings, saying:

“I am hereby making Nigeria a ‘country of particular concern.’ But that is the least of it. When Christians, or any such group, are slaughtered as is happening in Nigeria (3,100 versus 4,476 worldwide), something must be done!”

However, the Nigerian government has dismissed the claims of a “Christian genocide,” insisting that security forces are confronting all forms of criminality without ethnic or religious bias.

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Genocide Allegations: Group Urges Tinubu to File Treason Charges Against Nigerians Who Reported Country to Trump

Published

on

By: Fabian Apechihin

The National Patriotic Elders for Peace and Harmony of Nigeria (NPEPHN) has called on President Bola Tinubu to file treasonable felony charges against Nigerians who allegedly reported cases of Christian massacres to the United States government.

In a statement issued on Friday, the group’s president, Dr. Bature AbdulAziz, condemned the actions of those he described as “unpatriotic elements”, insisting that their reports to foreign powers amounted to a betrayal of national sovereignty.

“Nigeria is a sovereign nation with adequate laws to address the concerns of its citizens,” AbdulAziz said. “Reporting the country to another nation is nothing short of treasonable felony, and those responsible must be prosecuted.”

The elders also urged Northern governors to urgently convene a regional security meeting involving religious and ethnic leaders to address the recurring violence in the region and to present verified data on casualties to counter “false narratives” being circulated internationally.

According to AbdulAziz, the silence of Northern leaders amid U.S. President Donald Trump’s threat of military intervention in Nigeria was unacceptable. He advised them to compile accurate records of attacks and present factual evidence before relevant authorities.

“The claim that over 500,000 Christians have been killed must be supported with verifiable data,” he said. “The U.S. government knows that most of the victims of insecurity in Nigeria are Muslims, not Christians.”

Citing data from various conflict-prone regions, AbdulAziz maintained that 75 percent of victims of terrorism and communal violence since 1999 have been Muslims, noting that most of the affected areas — including Kaduna, Zamfara, Kebbi, Sokoto, Kano, Jigawa, Bauchi, Borno, and Yobe — are predominantly Muslim communities.

“These are the towns and villages that have been burned, destroyed, and displaced repeatedly,” he added.

While acknowledging that parts of the North Central zone — including Benue, Plateau, Taraba, and Kwara — have a higher Christian population, AbdulAziz said most of the conflicts in those states stem from farmer-herder clashes, where both sides suffer heavy losses.

“In many cases, Muslim herders are attacked and displaced by host communities. Their families and livestock are killed, yet no one talks about those casualties,” he noted.

AbdulAziz faulted the U.S. government for allegedly accepting “false genocide claims” without conducting independent investigations.

“It is shocking that the United States would believe such fabrications despite its advanced intelligence systems. We suspect there is a hidden political motive — possibly linked to Nigeria’s stance on the Israel-Palestine issue at the United Nations, or our government’s growing alignment with France and other nations,” he alleged.

The elder statesman reminded Donald Trump of Nigeria’s historic role in promoting peace and democracy across Africa.

“Any attack on Nigeria would destabilize several African nations that depend on her strength. We therefore appeal to President Trump to reconsider his decision,” AbdulAziz stated.

The group reiterated its support for President Tinubu’s administration and urged Nigerians to unite in defending the country’s sovereignty from “external manipulation and internal sabotage.”

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Retired ACP Sheriff Rabiu Blasts Northern Clerics Over Hate Preaching, Almajiri Menace

Published

on

By: Fabian Apechihin

A retired Assistant Commissioner of Police, Sheriff Abubakar Rabiu, has sparked nationwide debate with a hard-hitting open letter accusing some Northern Islamic clerics of fueling division and violence through incendiary sermons.

The strongly worded message, which has gone viral across WhatsApp groups, mosque forums, and security networks, condemned what Rabiu described as the “toxic preaching culture” that has poisoned the minds of Northern youths and laid the foundation for extremist movements like Boko Haram.

“Nobody has the key to Jannatul Firdausi except Allah,” Rabiu wrote. “Yet any Tom, Dick, and Harry with shallow knowledge of Islam grabs a microphone and calls our Christian brothers ‘Arna’, ‘Kafurai’, or ‘infidels destined for hell’. This is not Islam. This is madness — and this madness gave birth to Boko Haram.”

Rabiu, who once served as Chief Security Officer to former Adamawa Governor Murtala Nyako, said Nigeria’s greatest internal threats are hate preaching and the Almajiri system, which he described as a breeding ground for radicalization.

“An idle mind is the devil’s workshop. Those street children begging today are tomorrow’s recruits and foot soldiers for every terrorist group promising paradise for killing ‘infidels’,” he warned.

Turning his criticism inward, Rabiu questioned why Northern leaders were quick to blame Donald Trump for placing Nigeria on a religious freedom watchlist while ignoring the behaviors that justified it.

“Instead of shouting that Trump is Islamophobic, let’s ask ourselves why America put us on that list,” he said. “In Saudi Arabia, Qatar, or the UAE, try preaching hate from a pulpit — you’ll be arrested the same day. But here in secular Nigeria, they insult Christians from Friday to Friday and nobody stops them.”

Rabiu urged President Bola Tinubu to take decisive action by directing the National Assembly, Northern governors, and local government councils to enact and enforce laws criminalizing:

  • The use of derogatory religious labels like arne or kafir
  • Street begging by children under the Almajiri system
  • Hate speech disguised as preaching

“Do this sincerely,” he cautioned, “and America will see that we are serious. Fail, and we invite the same war machinery that turned Afghanistan and Iraq into graveyards.”

The retired officer ended with a nostalgic appeal for unity:

“If we implement these measures, Nigeria will return to the peace we had in the 1970s — when Muslims and Christians drank from the same cup, married each other’s sisters, and buried each other’s dead.”

By Thursday evening, Rabiu’s open letter had been shared in over 40 Northern WhatsApp groups, drawing support from youth leaders and religious moderates alike.

A community leader in Kano’s Hotoro suburb said, “This is the first time a respected Muslim officer has spoken this boldly. If our governors ignore him, they are the real enemies of Islam.”

Although the Kano Hisbah Board declined to comment officially, a senior commander who spoke off record admitted, “Mallam Sheriff said what many of us whisper privately. The question is — who will bell the cat?”

As Northern Nigeria grapples with rising tension over the message, one fact remains clear: a retired police officer has drawn a bold red line against radical preaching — and the ripple effect may reshape the region’s religious discourse for years to come.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.