Uncategorized
Cash crunch: UBTH patients stranded over inability to pay for services
Cash crunch: UBTH patients stranded over inability to pay for services

By Joy Odigie
Some patients receiving medical care at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH), on Wednesday, expressed displeasure over their inability to pay for medical services due to cash crunch.
The patients told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Benin they had no cash to pay for their bills including hospital cards, drugs and medical examinations.
They said the cashless system was frustrating. but prayed that the situation got better to prevent patients dying from preventable causes.
Mrs Sarah Idemudia, an elderly patient, told NAN that she had been waiting for more than two hours at the hospital’s Point of Sales (POS) payment point to pay for her medication.
She said, “I have been here at the General Practice Clinic (GPC), I have seen a doctor, and he prescribed some medications for me. But I have no cash to pay for the medication.
“I tried using the hospital’s PoS machine to pay, but it is not going through. I am stranded and do not know what to do.
“I even called my daughter to transfer money to the hospital’s account, but she said it wasn’t going through,” she lamented.
According to a member of staff of the hospital who spoke on the condition of anonymity, I brought my son to access medical care. I tried using cashless means of payment, but it is not going through.
“I don’t have cash to buy the drugs prescribed, but I have money in my bank account to pay for the drugs. I pray that the transaction works before the end of closing hours. ”
NAN observed that the payment point at the GPC section of the hospital had PoS machines, but some transactions, especially those involving First Bank, were not going through.
The PoS machines at the payment points at both the hospital’s Accident and Emergency Ward and Consultant Out Patients Department had no network to carry out transactions as of the time of filling this report.
NAN also reports that some patients without cash to pay for medical services were seen waiting patiently for the cashless payment options to work.
Reacting to the situation, Head of Public Relations, UBTH, Mr Joshua Uwaila, said the hospital was ready to provide care to patients.
Uwaila said that the hospital had made cashless options available for patients to pay for services, noting that poor network was a concern.
He urged them to be patient, saying, “we pray that the situation gets better soon.”
NAN reports that the cash crunch situation in the country is not only affecting the buying and selling of goods, it is also affecting access to medical services.
Some PoS operators charged as high as N1,500 per N5,000 withdrawal as against the N100 charged per N5,000 before the introduction of the new Naira notes.
Uncategorized
Rights Activist Urges Tinubu, APC to Release El-Rufai
By Hassan Agboola
A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza N. Dantani, has called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to immediately and unconditionally release former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.
Dantani, in a statement on Sunday, said there was a strong perception that El-Rufai’s continued detention was driven not only by the allegations against him but also by political considerations and fears that he could become an obstacle to the APC’s victory in the 2027 elections.
He urged the Federal Government to desist from using intimidation, persecution or state institutions against political opponents, arguing that such measures could not guarantee electoral victory.
Dantani cited the recent governorship election in Osun State as an example, saying political pressure and rivalry did not prevent Governor Ademola Adeleke from emerging victorious.
“Look at Osun State. Despite the political rivalry, the freezing of state accounts and the enormous political pressure surrounding the election, Governor Ademola Adeleke still emerged victorious. That should tell us something: the people ultimately decide,” he said.
The activist said the number of charges filed against a political opponent, the number of courts involved or the length of detention could not guarantee electoral success.
He urged President Tinubu and the APC to demonstrate confidence in their political strength by allowing opponents to participate freely in the political process.
“If you genuinely believe in your political strength and the support of the Nigerian people, then allow your opponents to participate freely in the political process,” he said.
Dantani called for El-Rufai’s release, urging the former governor to return home and participate in the political process ahead of the 2027 general elections.
“Let him play his politics, and let the people decide in 2027,” he said.
Uncategorized
Kwara Customs Hailed For A Clean Operational Record
Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin
The Nigeria Customs Service, Kwara Area Command, has received commendation from the Assistant Comptroller-General of Customs and Zonal Coordinator for Zone ‘B’, Nsikan Patrick Umoh, for maintaining a clean operational record and upholding professionalism in the discharge of its duties.
ACG Umoh gave the commendation during an oversight visit to the Command’s headquarters in Ilorin as part of her tour of operational commands within the zone.
Addressing officers and men of the Command, Umoh was excited that since she assumed office, her headquarters had not received any adverse report against the Kwara Area Command.
She said the record was a reflection of the discipline, integrity and professionalism demonstrated by personnel in their daily operations.
“I want to commend the leadership and personnel of the Kwara Area Command for their exemplary conduct, discipline and dedication to duty,” she said.
The Customs boss, who delivered the goodwill message of the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, MFR, urged officers to maintain high standards of professionalism both on and off duty.
She warned personnel against involvement in illicit drugs, sharp practices and other activities capable of tarnishing the image of the Service.
Umoh also called on officers to strengthen unity and teamwork, describing the Service as one family working towards a common goal. She assured them of the continued support of the zonal and Service headquarters.
Earlier, the Acting Area Controller of the Command, Deputy Comptroller Najeem Akanmu Ogundeyi, highlighted the major achievements, operational milestones and administrative successes recorded under his leadership.
The visit also featured an interactive session between the Zonal Coordinator and major trade stakeholders, including representatives of freight forwarding associations, the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), and major excise factories such as ITC and SANICA.
During the engagement, Umoh commended the existing relationship between the Command and the business community, while responding to concerns surrounding cargo clearance procedures, examination timelines and regional trade competitiveness.
The stakeholders also received clarifications on issues affecting their operations, with the Customs official assuring them of the Service’s commitment to facilitating legitimate trade.
The oversight visit ended with an inspection of the Command’s administrative offices, warehouse and residential barracks.
Umoh expressed satisfaction with the level of orderliness, environmental cleanliness and discipline observed across the facilities.
The Command said the visit further reinforced its commitment to professionalism, trade facilitation and effective service delivery in Kwara State.
Uncategorized
OUR LAND IS NOT FOR SALE, CATHOLIC PRIESTS TELL FG
By our Correspondent
The Nigeria Catholic Diocesan Priests Association (NCDPA), Makurdi Diocese, has strongly rejected the decision of the Federal Government to include Benue State in the pilot implementation of its National Ranching Policy.
The association said it was particularly concerned that Benue State, which it described as an already bleeding and targeted state, was included in the policy, which is initially kicking off at the Wase Grazing Reserve in Plateau State.
In a statement signed by its Chairman, Rev. Fr. Joseph Terfa Beba, the NCDPA expressed concern over what it described as the apparent exclusion of the Benue State Government from the decision-making and approval process.
The association said had the elected leadership of Benue State been genuinely consulted, it believed the state government would not have consented to any arrangement capable of undermining the rights, dignity, security and ancestral heritage of its people.
“We cannot accept a policy imposed upon a people whose communities have suffered killings, displacement, destruction and prolonged insecurity,” the association said.
It warned that ranching must not become a disguised instrument for land grabbing, forced occupation or the permanent displacement of indigenous communities.
The priests also cited the position of the Catholic Bishop of Makurdi Diocese, Bishop Wilfred Chikpa Anagbe, CMF, saying he had “consistently and courageously spoken against this injustice, culpable silence and every agenda that threatens the ancestral lands of our people.”
The association called on the Federal Government to respect the constitutional rights of the people of Benue State and engage the state government, traditional rulers and community leaders transparently before proceeding with the policy.
It also urged the government to ensure that displaced persons are enabled to return safely and take possession of their ancestral lands before any discussions concerning already existing designated ranching structures in parts of the state and the country.
The NCDPA maintained that Benue was predominantly an agrarian state and not a pastoralist society, arguing that ranching was therefore not viable in the state.
“Ranching in Benue State is therefore NOT VIABLE, and WE REJECT THIS PROJECT IDEA WITH ALL LEGAL AND SPIRITUAL RESOURCES,” the priests declared.
The association said there was no land in Benue for commercial ranching, stressing that ancestral homes should not be treated as bargaining chips.
“Our land is not for sale and has never been on sale. There is no land in Benue State for commercial ranching. Our ancestral homes are not bargaining chips.
“Our people must return home. Benue must not be enslaved through policy. There will be no surrender of our ancestral heritage in whatever form or guise being proposed or presented,” it said.
The association urged the Federal Government to address the concerns of Benue communities and prioritise the safe return of displaced persons before implementing any ranching arrangement in the state.
-
Uncategorized6 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines11 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News12 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology5 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
