Connect with us

Uncategorized

What will be brought by China’s cancellation of registration mechanism for foreign trade business operators?

Published

on

By Kong Dechen
Since this year, Jiang Meixia, an official with the foreign trade management office of the Chongqing Municipal Commission of Commerce, has been receiving fewer and fewer calls at work.
“In the past, I got many calls asking about the registration requirements for businesses engaged in foreign trade activities every day, but now the requirements have been canceled,” Jiang told People’s Daily.
The registration mechanism for operators of foreign trade businesses had been in place since 2004. According to the mechanism, enterprises entering or preparing to enter the foreign trade sector must have their information registered before they officially started foreign trade businesses.
To optimize the business environment, the country officially canceled the mechanism on Dec. 30 last year. Companies and individuals no longer need to undergo registration and filing with local commerce authorities and will automatically obtain the right to import and export products to and from China.
This marks a major reform to foreign trade management and is an important step in promoting trade liberalization and facilitation.
The cancellation of the registration mechanism will bring tangible benefits to enterprises.
Sun Yuanxin, chief expert of the Collaborative Innovation Center of China Pilot Free Trade Zone, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, told People’s Daily that in the past, applicants had to visit multiple departments and the registration usually took four to five days.
“The cancellation of the mechanism means that enterprises can directly enjoy foreign trading rights,” Sun said, adding that this not only saves enterprises’ time and costs and improves efficiency, but also encourages more private enterprises to go overseas and expand both domestic and international markets.
According to statistics released by the State Administration for Market Regulation, the number of market entities in China had grown to 169 million as of the end of 2022, up from 110 million in 2018. Both the numbers of enterprises and individual businesses crossed the 50 million and 100 million marks. Private enterprises are now major players in China’s foreign trade sector.
“Canceling the registration mechanism aims to better serve enterprises. This means a lot for small- and medium-sized enterprises that are fresh in the foreign trade sector or planning to do foreign trade businesses in the future. It makes the market more transparent and has further lifted the level of informatization,” said Zhang Jianping, deputy director of the academic board of the Chinese Academy of International Trade and Economic Cooperation.
Many experts said that it’s a common practice around the world to cancel registration requirements for businesses engaged in foreign trade activities, and the cancellation conforms to China’s active strategy of opening up and meets the country’s demand to grow from a major trading nation to a leading one.
This year, China will take more concrete measures to better serve foreign trade enterprises.
Li Xingqian, director general of the Department of Foreign Trade of the MOFCOM, told People’s Daily that China would roll out new trade policies this year to help enterprises lower cost, expand benefit and tackle challenges as well as improve the comprehensive competitiveness of Chinese foreign trade.
According to him, the country will build closer relations between suppliers and purchasers to stabilize exports. A number of export exhibitions, including the Canton Fair, will resume offline exhibitions. Besides, China will fully support foreign trade enterprises to join overseas exhibitions so as to gain more opportunities.
China will also build closer ties with its trading partners, give play to its advantages as a super-large market, and expand quality imports from other countries, so as to stabilize the global supply chain.
The country will promote the sustainable, rapid, and healthy development of new business forms such as cross-border e-commerce and overseas warehouses. In addition, China will reinforce the industrial foundation for foreign trade, continue optimizing the structure of the foreign trade sector, and encourage processing trade to shift to the central, western, and northeast regions while strengthening general trade.
According to statistics, China’s foreign trade in goods for the first time crossed the 40-trillion-yuan mark and reached 42.07 trillion yuan last year, up 7.7 percent from 2021.
“China’s foreign trade enjoys a sound structure and has expanded its circle of friends,” Zhang said.
The cancellation of the mechanism is an inevitable result of China’s institutional opening up, he noted, adding that the country will keep working to stabilize foreign trade and investment, enhance foreign trade facilitation, and build a better institutional environment for the development of foreign trade.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Rights Activist Urges Tinubu, APC to Release El-Rufai

Published

on

By Hassan Agboola

A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza N. Dantani, has called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to immediately and unconditionally release former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.
Dantani, in a statement on Sunday, said there was a strong perception that El-Rufai’s continued detention was driven not only by the allegations against him but also by political considerations and fears that he could become an obstacle to the APC’s victory in the 2027 elections.
He urged the Federal Government to desist from using intimidation, persecution or state institutions against political opponents, arguing that such measures could not guarantee electoral victory.
Dantani cited the recent governorship election in Osun State as an example, saying political pressure and rivalry did not prevent Governor Ademola Adeleke from emerging victorious.
“Look at Osun State. Despite the political rivalry, the freezing of state accounts and the enormous political pressure surrounding the election, Governor Ademola Adeleke still emerged victorious. That should tell us something: the people ultimately decide,” he said.
The activist said the number of charges filed against a political opponent, the number of courts involved or the length of detention could not guarantee electoral success.
He urged President Tinubu and the APC to demonstrate confidence in their political strength by allowing opponents to participate freely in the political process.
“If you genuinely believe in your political strength and the support of the Nigerian people, then allow your opponents to participate freely in the political process,” he said.
Dantani called for El-Rufai’s release, urging the former governor to return home and participate in the political process ahead of the 2027 general elections.
“Let him play his politics, and let the people decide in 2027,” he said.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Kwara Customs Hailed For A Clean Operational Record

Published

on

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin

The Nigeria Customs Service, Kwara Area Command, has received commendation from the Assistant Comptroller-General of Customs and Zonal Coordinator for Zone ‘B’, Nsikan Patrick Umoh, for maintaining a clean operational record and upholding professionalism in the discharge of its duties.

ACG Umoh gave the commendation during an oversight visit to the Command’s headquarters in Ilorin as part of her tour of operational commands within the zone.

Addressing officers and men of the Command, Umoh was excited that since she assumed office, her headquarters had not received any adverse report against the Kwara Area Command.

She said the record was a reflection of the discipline, integrity and professionalism demonstrated by personnel in their daily operations.

“I want to commend the leadership and personnel of the Kwara Area Command for their exemplary conduct, discipline and dedication to duty,” she said.

The Customs boss, who delivered the goodwill message of the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, MFR, urged officers to maintain high standards of professionalism both on and off duty.

She warned personnel against involvement in illicit drugs, sharp practices and other activities capable of tarnishing the image of the Service.

Umoh also called on officers to strengthen unity and teamwork, describing the Service as one family working towards a common goal. She assured them of the continued support of the zonal and Service headquarters.

Earlier, the Acting Area Controller of the Command, Deputy Comptroller Najeem Akanmu Ogundeyi, highlighted the major achievements, operational milestones and administrative successes recorded under his leadership.

The visit also featured an interactive session between the Zonal Coordinator and major trade stakeholders, including representatives of freight forwarding associations, the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), and major excise factories such as ITC and SANICA.

During the engagement, Umoh commended the existing relationship between the Command and the business community, while responding to concerns surrounding cargo clearance procedures, examination timelines and regional trade competitiveness.

The stakeholders also received clarifications on issues affecting their operations, with the Customs official assuring them of the Service’s commitment to facilitating legitimate trade.

The oversight visit ended with an inspection of the Command’s administrative offices, warehouse and residential barracks.

Umoh expressed satisfaction with the level of orderliness, environmental cleanliness and discipline observed across the facilities.

The Command said the visit further reinforced its commitment to professionalism, trade facilitation and effective service delivery in Kwara State.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

OUR LAND IS NOT FOR SALE, CATHOLIC PRIESTS TELL FG

Published

on

By our Correspondent

The Nigeria Catholic Diocesan Priests Association (NCDPA), Makurdi Diocese, has strongly rejected the decision of the Federal Government to include Benue State in the pilot implementation of its National Ranching Policy.

The association said it was particularly concerned that Benue State, which it described as an already bleeding and targeted state, was included in the policy, which is initially kicking off at the Wase Grazing Reserve in Plateau State.
In a statement signed by its Chairman, Rev. Fr. Joseph Terfa Beba, the NCDPA expressed concern over what it described as the apparent exclusion of the Benue State Government from the decision-making and approval process.
The association said had the elected leadership of Benue State been genuinely consulted, it believed the state government would not have consented to any arrangement capable of undermining the rights, dignity, security and ancestral heritage of its people.
“We cannot accept a policy imposed upon a people whose communities have suffered killings, displacement, destruction and prolonged insecurity,” the association said.
It warned that ranching must not become a disguised instrument for land grabbing, forced occupation or the permanent displacement of indigenous communities.
The priests also cited the position of the Catholic Bishop of Makurdi Diocese, Bishop Wilfred Chikpa Anagbe, CMF, saying he had “consistently and courageously spoken against this injustice, culpable silence and every agenda that threatens the ancestral lands of our people.”
The association called on the Federal Government to respect the constitutional rights of the people of Benue State and engage the state government, traditional rulers and community leaders transparently before proceeding with the policy.
It also urged the government to ensure that displaced persons are enabled to return safely and take possession of their ancestral lands before any discussions concerning already existing designated ranching structures in parts of the state and the country.
The NCDPA maintained that Benue was predominantly an agrarian state and not a pastoralist society, arguing that ranching was therefore not viable in the state.
“Ranching in Benue State is therefore NOT VIABLE, and WE REJECT THIS PROJECT IDEA WITH ALL LEGAL AND SPIRITUAL RESOURCES,” the priests declared.
The association said there was no land in Benue for commercial ranching, stressing that ancestral homes should not be treated as bargaining chips.
“Our land is not for sale and has never been on sale. There is no land in Benue State for commercial ranching. Our ancestral homes are not bargaining chips.
“Our people must return home. Benue must not be enslaved through policy. There will be no surrender of our ancestral heritage in whatever form or guise being proposed or presented,” it said.
The association urged the Federal Government to address the concerns of Benue communities and prioritise the safe return of displaced persons before implementing any ranching arrangement in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.