Connect with us

Headlines

Gov. Shettima solely funds CJTF fighters’ in Borno-Gusau

Published

on

By: Ali Musa Biu

Special Adviser on Media, Communications and Strategy to Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State, Isa Umar Gussy, has faulted critics of the governor over efforts put into curbing the Boko Haram insurgency.
He said, despite efforts by political mischief makers to downplay his boss’ contributions on the fight against Boko Haram, Governor Kashim Shettima’s led government has from 2013 to date, remained the sole financiers of hundreds of successful operations carried out by more than 20,000 volunteers of the Civilian JTF.
He argued that the CJTF whose overwhelming contributions in the fight against Boko Haram has been roundly acknowledged by the military, and all other security stakeholders, past and incumbent federal administrations as well as residents of Borno State.

Gusau said during a live interview on ‘The Morning Show’ of Arise (cable) News International, in Ikoyi Lagos on Saturday that the Civilian JTF play crucial roles in intelligence gathering, easy identification and arrest of suspected insurgents and supporting the military in the war fronts.

The spokesman said it was a laughable irony that in recent days some “mischief makers are doing everything possible to smear Governor Shettima over the Boko Haram crisis, whereas the same mischief makers regularly acknowledge the roles played by patriotic members of the civilian JTF. However, “they deliberately ignore the fact that in the last six years, Governor Shettima has been the sole person giving approvals for the operational vehicles and logistics, recruitment, training, payment of allowances, kitting and surveillance equipment to these over 20,000 heroes, under the Civilian JTF that have given everything to the fight against Boko Haram. The mischief makers ignore that back in 2013, it was Governor Shettima who drove the process of getting making office of the National Security Adviser to approve the operational activities of the Civilian JTF and he has remained the only one funding all their operations including the coordination of their recruitment and deployments after clearance by the DSS. The same Governor approves funds to support gallant members of the Civilian JTF including allocation of lands to the to own houses so as to encourage them and guarantee their future” Gusau noted.

The Adviser said in addition to being the sole financiers of the CJTF, Governor Shettima has from 2011 to date, been consistently according extraordinary support to the military, the police, DSS and all para-military organisations. He said the military has consistently and publicly acknowledged the extreme support they get from Shettima.

“Only last month, the Chief of Army Staff at the closing of his annual conference in Maiduguri and before the media, described as “overwhelming”, the commitment of Governor Kashim Shettima to the Nigerian Army in the fight against Boko Haram. Similarly, I remember that in 2014, then Director of Operations at the Defence headquarters, Major General Lawrence Ndugbane (now retired) said before the media, that Kashim Shettima is one of the Governors who helps the military to generate actionable intelligence through the Governor’s regular interactions with community leaders in Borno State. These are all on record. So, attempts by anyone to change these public records will, like previous other attempts, become futile exercises” Gusau noted

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

2027: THE MANY WARS IN PARTIES

Published

on


☆ ADC, PDP, NDC, LP Tacle APC Amidst Internal Wranglings.
☆ Party primaries trigger godfather vs godson clashes.
By: Our Special Correspondent.

Election periods always make Nigeria a political melting pot. Tensions, intrigues, violence, manipulations and grandstanding have been the order.
2027 may not be an exception, as already, the polity is heating up and political players are up in arms.
Between political parties, battle lines are being drawn.
It is no longer news that, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of the APC, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar of the ADC and former Anambra state governor, Peter Obi of the NDC have secured the presidential tickets for their various political parties, ahead of the 2027 elections.
While Nigerians await the outcome of the presidential primaries for the other parties, it is apparent that the leading dramatis personae of the 2023 presidential election debacle, are set to square it out again in 2027.
But, while most, if not all the opposition political parties are emershed in multi-dimenssional crisis, the stage seems set for dirtier political schemings, in the quest to wrestle power from the ruling APC.
With the apparent collapse of the much talked about coalition, frontline candidates may again go into the election as a divided house, as the parties are further polarized by the attendant crisis arising from the just concluded primaries.
The ruling APC, also faced with similar crisis following the primaries. The primaries of all the parties seem to have sparked internal wranglings
across Edo, Delta, Lagos, Oyo, Kano, Rivers and other states. In most states, the primaries for governorship, Senate and House of Representatives seats have triggered deepening crises between governors, former governors, senators and entrenched party blocs.
While one may regard such disagrerments as normal and could be resolved before the main election, the disagreement between President Tinubu and the opposition may linger.

The President is fighting hard to ward of attacks over his failed promises which were made in 2023, as campaign issues.
Similarlly, the issue of insecurity, fuel subsidy, pol8cy summersault, and general cost of living have been brought to the front burner, in political discourse.
Tinubu told Nigerians on Friday that subsidy removal and forex reforms have revived investor confidence, lifted market cap to 250,000 points, and drawn new oil and gas investment. He also said security operations have “intensified” against bandits, separatists and insurgents.
But critics insist that Tinubu’s camp is working to cripple opposition parties reminescent of the Abacha-era dark days.
In apparent move to realign forces and reshape 2027, NDC’s Peter Obi has announced Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso as his running mate.
Obi told a gathering brfore naming Kwankwaso as his running mate, that, the Vice President office under him, will be “an active partner, not ceremonial”. The NDC held a special convention Saturday to affirm Obi as flagbearer where he promised 10,000MW electricity generation. Labour Party has also presented Dr. Chibuzo Okereke as its presidential candidate, a lowly rated personality.
At the sub-national level, political players are pulling the strings from different end. Most governors are being accused of imposing their cronies as governorship, senate, House of Representatives and House of Assembly candidates.
The national leadership of the APC has been struggling hard to adress the widespread crisis occassioned by the primaries. The APC, in Lagos amidst the internal wars, has picked Princess Damilola Sonayon-James as running mate to Lagos governorship candidate Dr. Obafemi Hamzat. Both are seen as stooges of the governor and by extenssion the President.
In Rivers, FCT Minister Nyesom Wike has vowed that, the APC “Rainbow Coalition” will agree on one governorship candidate and that ADC’s Atiku won’t get 10% of Rivers votes. Though the candidate has not yet been named.
Wike also declared “Rivers has no option but to back Tinubu”.
In several states, there have been massive decampments from the APC in particular, because of unfavourable outcomes of the primaries.
All these point to a turbulent outing for the APC, even as the ruling party.
As for the opposition parties, they all have been emasculated, and may not be able to pose much threat to the ruling APC.
While the political wranglings were going on the most serious threat to the APC remains the rising concern over insecurity. The issue seem to have ignited anger across the country, with Federal Workers Forum threatening an indefinite nationwide strike over rising insecurity and unresolved wages. SERAP, has meanwhile urged the UN Secretary-General to invoke Article 99 over Nigeria’s “escalating insecurity—mass abductions, killings, displacements”.

Continue Reading

Headlines

“Nigeria Is in a Hurry to Celebrate Victory Over Enemies of the State,” Says Tinubu as He Decorates New Service Chiefs

Published

on

By: Fabian Apechihin

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has urged the newly appointed service chiefs to discharge their duties with utmost dedication and renewed commitment, declaring that “Nigeria is in a hurry to celebrate victory over enemies of the state.”

The President made this statement on Thursday during the decoration ceremony of the new service chiefs with their ranks at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja.

Those decorated were General Olufemi Oluyede as Chief of Defence Staff, Lieutenant-General Wahidi Shaibu as Chief of Army Staff, Air Marshal Kennedy Aneke as Chief of Air Staff, and Vice Admiral Idi Abbas as Chief of Naval Staff.

The ceremony was attended by Vice President Kashim Shettima and the spouses of the newly promoted officers, who joined the President in performing the decorations.

In his address, Tinubu underscored the central role of security in fostering national development and reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to protecting the lives and property of all Nigerians.

“Security is an essential element without which everything else becomes meaningless,” the President stated. “There can be no sustainable development if this fundamental need is not met. Our people and our nation must remain secure to enjoy the dividends of governance.”

The elevation and decoration of the new military chiefs followed their confirmation by the National Assembly on Wednesday, after a closed-door screening session with lawmakers.

It will be recalled that, in a recent overhaul of the nation’s military hierarchy, President Tinubu appointed:

  • Lieutenant General Olufemi Olatubosun Oluyede as Chief of Defence Staff,
  • Major General Waidi Shaibu as Chief of Army Staff,
  • Rear Admiral Idi Abbas as Chief of Naval Staff,
  • Air Vice Marshal Sunday Aneke as Chief of Air Staff, and
  • Major General Emmanuel Undiandeye retained as Chief of Defence Intelligence.

The new appointments mark a strategic restructuring of Nigeria’s security leadership aimed at strengthening the fight against insurgency, banditry, and other threats to national stability.

Continue Reading

Headlines

FG Dismisses Coup Rumour, Reaffirms Confidence in Nigerian Military

Published

on

By: Fabian Apechihin

The Federal Government has dismissed widespread rumours of an alleged military coup plot against President Bola Tinubu, declaring its full confidence in the loyalty and professionalism of the Nigerian Armed Forces.

Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, made this known in an interview with The Punch on Sunday, insisting that the administration has “no reason whatsoever” to doubt the assurances given by the Defence Headquarters, which had earlier denied reports linking the detention of 16 military officers to a coup attempt.

“The Federal Government has no reason to doubt the military on what it has said,” Idris stated.
“We believe the Armed Forces of Nigeria remain committed to protecting the nation’s territorial integrity and strengthening the fight against insecurity. The government commends their sacrifice and will continue to support them in safeguarding the country.”

The minister’s remarks came a day after the Director of Defence Information, Brigadier General Tukur Gusau, firmly debunked a report by Sahara Reporters alleging that the detention of 16 officers was connected to a failed coup plot and the cancellation of the 65th Independence Day parade.

Gusau described the publication as “false, mischievous, and deliberately aimed at creating unnecessary tension and public distrust.”

He clarified that the cancellation of the October 1 Independence Day parade was a purely administrative decision — taken to allow President Tinubu attend a key bilateral meeting abroad and to enable military units sustain ongoing counterinsurgency operations nationwide.

On the issue of the detained officers, Gusau said their case was “an internal disciplinary process” and not related to any political matter.

“The investigation involving the 16 officers is routine, aimed at upholding discipline and professionalism within the ranks,” he explained. “An investigative panel has been constituted, and its findings will be made public in due course.”

Reaffirming the military’s constitutional role and unwavering commitment to civilian rule, Gusau stressed emphatically:

“Democracy is forever.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.