Uncategorized
Kwarapoly Authorities Slammed Over Disruption Of NYSC Camp Operations
Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin
The actions of officials of the Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin, in disrupting access to facilities being used for the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) orientation camp have continued to attract widespread public condemnation.
It would be recalled that the Kwara State Government had approved the temporary use of part of the polytechnic campus as the NYSC orientation camp due to prevailing security challenges in the state. The facility, which had been abandoned for several years, and later renovated by the state government, has now been used for the orientation exercise on more than three occasions.
Tension reportedly erupted on Tuesday when access to the facility was blocked following a protest involving students who were said to be unaware of the broader circumstances surrounding the camp’s continued use, resulting in temporary disruption of camping activities.
Allegations are rife in some quarters that some senior officials of the institution, including the Rector and the Chief Security Officer, are opposed to the state government’s directive to release the facility for the orientation course. Although the institution had initially remained silent, it later issued a press release explaining its position.
In the statement dated 20 January 2026 and signed by the Acting Registrar, AbdulHafis Amin, the management of Kwara State Polytechnic said the institution was designated as a temporary NYSC camp because of security concerns in the state. The management noted that during the first and second orientation exercises at the facility, students were either on break or had not fully resumed. However, it stated that students were fully in session during the current exercise.
To manage the situation and prevent a breakdown of law and order, the management said it granted students a three-week break effective Monday, 19 January 2026, to facilitate the smooth conduct of the orientation course. It added that some students reacted negatively to the directive, leading to tension that required police intervention.
According to the release, the police initially attempted to disperse the crowd at the main gate of the polytechnic, but some officers allegedly threw tear gas canisters into the campus, including student hostels. The action reportedly affected several students and staff, including the institution’s Chief Security Officer who was said to have sustained injuries.
The statement further disclosed that the Executive Governor of Kwara State, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, subsequently directed the closure of the polytechnic to ensure the safety of lives and property. The management appealed to students, staff and stakeholders to remain calm as discussions continue with relevant authorities to resolve the matter.
However, the management’s explanation has continued to draw criticism from members of the public and civil society groups. Some stakeholders described the press release as belated and an afterthought aimed at damage control.
Critics argued that the three-week orientation course would not have significantly disrupted academic activities, noting that students’ engagement areas are located far from the NYSC camp venue and that clear demarcations exist between both facilities.
They also stressed that the Governor, as the chief security officer of the state, issued the directive in the interest of public safety and that it should have been complied with fully by the institution’s principal officers.
Stakeholders further criticised what they described as an attempt to undermine a proactive security measure taken to protect young Nigerian graduates. They argued that rather than support the government’s effort to safeguard corps members, the actions of the institution’s leadership created avoidable tension and risk.
Civil society groups have, therefore, called on the polytechnic management to align with the state government’s decision and prioritise the welfare and safety of corps members, noting that the NYSC scheme remains a national asset that should not be politicized or subjected to internal institutional disputes.
They also urged the Kwara State Government to engage the institution’s leadership decisively to prevent a recurrence and ensure that future orientation exercises are not disrupted..
Uncategorized
Abuja Building Collapse: Wike Orders Full Probe, Engineer Arrested
By: Fabian Apechihin
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered a full investigation into the building collapse in Abuja, revealing that an engineer connected to the project has already been arrested.
Wike also disclosed that the developer behind the structure would be arrested as investigations continue. He said a panel had been constituted to determine the exact cause of the collapse.
Speaking during a visit to the scene on Monday, the Minister described the incident as “very pathetic,” stressing that the government would not compromise on the safety of residents.
“From the report I received, five persons lost their lives while some others were rescued. Nobody is happy when lives are lost,” Wike said.
He confirmed that the Department of Development Control had sealed off the site, adding that preliminary investigations were already underway pending the panel’s final report.
“One of the engineers has already been arrested. From there, we will get to the developer, and the developer will also be arrested,” he stated.
Wike warned developers against obstructing officials of the Federal Capital Development Administration (FCDA) from carrying out routine inspections on construction sites.
According to him, some developers resort to blackmail whenever government agencies attempt to enforce building regulations instead of complying with laid-down standards.
“Sometimes when government officials take action at construction sites, some people choose to blackmail them rather than understand why such actions are necessary,” he said.
The Minister emphasized the need for strict compliance with building standards, including proper soil testing and the use of quality materials, to prevent future tragedies.
“In every building project, the quality of materials used must be verified. Soil tests must also be conducted to determine whether the land can support two floors, three floors, or more. These things are very important,” he explained.
Wike maintained that the government’s primary responsibility is the protection of lives and property, lamenting that the lives lost in the incident could never be replaced.
“How can those lives be brought back? They are gone forever. Government has a duty to protect life and property,” he added.
Uncategorized
Shettima withdraws from Kaduna Central Senate race, backs APC candidates , Shehu Sani
From Hassan Taiye
Former Kaduna Central senatorial aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Yerima Shettima.
A former Kaduna Central senatorial aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Yerima Shettima, has withdrawn from the race and pledged support for all candidates of the party ahead of the forthcoming general election.
Shettima announced his withdrawal at a press conference on Sunday, saying the decision followed extensive consultations and careful reflection.
The former aspirant explained that his action was taken in deference to the decision of the APC regarding the Kaduna Central senatorial contest.
“After wide consultations and deep reflection, I have decided to respect the decision of our great party regarding the senatorial contest,” he said.
He stressed that the withdrawal should not be interpreted as an act of fear or weakness, but as a demonstration of loyalty to party unity and discipline.
“This decision is not borne out of fear, weakness or cowardice, but rather from my unwavering commitment to party unity, discipline and collective progress,” Shettima stated.
He reaffirmed his commitment to the ruling party and vowed to continue supporting its success at all levels.
“As a loyal and committed party man, I remain steadfast in my support for the APC and reaffirm my readiness to
continue contributing my quota towards the victory of our great party,” he added.
Shettima also appealed to his supporters and political associates to remain calm and support candidates produced by the APC.
“The unity and success of the APC must remain our collective priority,” he said.
The former aspirant further called for reconciliation among aggrieved party members to strengthen cohesion within the party ahead of the elections.
He expressed appreciation to members of the Capacity Movement, led by Sani Shehu Sado, and his campaign council for their support during the political process.
Shettima also reaffirmed his support for the President and the Kaduna State Governor.
“I hereby formally announce my withdrawal from the Kaduna Central Senatorial race in good spirit and align accordingly with party decisions,” he declared.
The development comes amid growing political realignments within the APC in Kaduna State following the party’s recent primary elections, which produced candidates for various elective positions ahead of the 2027 general elections.
In recent weeks, some aspirants and party stakeholders have raised concerns over the conduct of the primaries, alleging irregularities and manipulation in certain contests.
However, party leaders have continued to urge aggrieved members to embrace reconciliation and work for the unity of the APC.
Uncategorized
Mustapha in senatorial race with Gov AbdulRazaq despite denial
Stephen Olufemi Oni Ilorin
Despite denial, documents Indicate that Senator Saliu Mustapha Is in the Kwara Central senatorial race Against Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Despite claims of backing Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq’s senatorial bid for the Kwara Central Senatorial seat in the 2027 general elections, party documents reveal that the incumbent Senator representing Kwara Central Senatorial District, Saliu Mustapha, is in the race against Governor AbdulRazaq.
According to party documents, while Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq is listed as No. 17 among the cleared aspirants to participate in today’s senatorial race in Kwara State, Sen. Saliu Mustapha is listed as No. 18, making him the only contestant against the Kwara State Governor for the Kwara Central senatorial seat.
Meanwhile, Senator Mustapha had, via a statement issued by his media assistant, Nasir Sholagberu, earlier today, claimed he is backing Governor AbdulRazaq for Kwara Central Senate, while calling for peaceful and orderly primaries.
Speaking on the Kwara Central Senatorial District contest, the Senator expressed strong support for the aspiration of the Governor of Kwara State, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, who is the sole contestant for the APC senatorial ticket in the district ahead of the 2027 general elections.
According to him, the emergence of Governor AbdulRazaq as the lone aspirant is a clear indication of the immense respect, acceptance, and confidence he enjoys among party stakeholders and members across the state.
Senator Mustapha noted that the development reflects the belief among party leaders and stakeholders that Governor AbdulRazaq deserves such recognition and preeminence in view of his contributions to the growth and stability of the party and the state.
He further wished the Governor and all other aspirants participating in the primaries across the state a peaceful, successful, and rancour-free exercise.
The appearance of Sen. Saliu on the list of contestants for the Kwara Central Senatorial race has, however, raised concerns among Kwarans, who expected that the Senator was actually in the race for the Kwara State gubernatorial election.
-
Uncategorized5 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines10 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News12 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology5 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
