Connect with us

Uncategorized

Kwarapoly Authorities Slammed Over Disruption Of NYSC Camp Operations

Published

on

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin

The actions of officials of the Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin, in disrupting access to facilities being used for the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) orientation camp have continued to attract widespread public condemnation.

It would be recalled that the Kwara State Government had approved the temporary use of part of the polytechnic campus as the NYSC orientation camp due to prevailing security challenges in the state. The facility, which had been abandoned for several years, and later renovated by the state government, has now been used for the orientation exercise on more than three occasions.

Tension reportedly erupted on Tuesday when access to the facility was blocked following a protest involving students who were said to be unaware of the broader circumstances surrounding the camp’s continued use, resulting in temporary disruption of camping activities.

Allegations are rife in some quarters that some senior officials of the institution, including the Rector and the Chief Security Officer, are opposed to the state government’s directive to release the facility for the orientation course. Although the institution had initially remained silent, it later issued a press release explaining its position.

In the statement dated 20 January 2026 and signed by the Acting Registrar, AbdulHafis Amin, the management of Kwara State Polytechnic said the institution was designated as a temporary NYSC camp because of security concerns in the state. The management noted that during the first and second orientation exercises at the facility, students were either on break or had not fully resumed. However, it stated that students were fully in session during the current exercise.

To manage the situation and prevent a breakdown of law and order, the management said it granted students a three-week break effective Monday, 19 January 2026, to facilitate the smooth conduct of the orientation course. It added that some students reacted negatively to the directive, leading to tension that required police intervention.

According to the release, the police initially attempted to disperse the crowd at the main gate of the polytechnic, but some officers allegedly threw tear gas canisters into the campus, including student hostels. The action reportedly affected several students and staff, including the institution’s Chief Security Officer who was said to have sustained injuries.

The statement further disclosed that the Executive Governor of Kwara State, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, subsequently directed the closure of the polytechnic to ensure the safety of lives and property. The management appealed to students, staff and stakeholders to remain calm as discussions continue with relevant authorities to resolve the matter.

However, the management’s explanation has continued to draw criticism from members of the public and civil society groups. Some stakeholders described the press release as belated and an afterthought aimed at damage control.

Critics argued that the three-week orientation course would not have significantly disrupted academic activities, noting that students’ engagement areas are located far from the NYSC camp venue and that clear demarcations exist between both facilities.

They also stressed that the Governor, as the chief security officer of the state, issued the directive in the interest of public safety and that it should have been complied with fully by the institution’s principal officers.

Stakeholders further criticised what they described as an attempt to undermine a proactive security measure taken to protect young Nigerian graduates. They argued that rather than support the government’s effort to safeguard corps members, the actions of the institution’s leadership created avoidable tension and risk.

Civil society groups have, therefore, called on the polytechnic management to align with the state government’s decision and prioritise the welfare and safety of corps members, noting that the NYSC scheme remains a national asset that should not be politicized or subjected to internal institutional disputes.

They also urged the Kwara State Government to engage the institution’s leadership decisively to prevent a recurrence and ensure that future orientation exercises are not disrupted..

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Kwara: Ifelodun Travellers Transport System Revived

Published

on

  • As Council Signs MoU With P&A Contract Ltd

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin

The Ifelodun local Government, under the leadership of Hadji Abdulrasheed Femi Yusuf, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with P & A Contract Limited for the construction of a modern motor park in Amoyo, as the Council moves to revive the Ifelodun Travellers transport system and improve transportation within the Local Government.

Speaking during the MoU signing ceremony at the Council s Contact Office in Amoyo, the Chairman explained that the decision to construct the motor park was driven by the need for Ifelodun Local Government to establish its own transport identity, intended to ease people’s transportation problem.

He recalled that residents travelling to and from Ifelodun had, over the years, relied on transport facilities at Offa Garage and Maraba in Ilorin, stressing the need to create a dedicated transport hub that would serve the people of the Local Government.

“At some point in the history of Ifelodun Local Government, we had Ifelodun Travellers, which does not exist anymore. I don’t think there is anything wrong with bringing that identity back to the limelight. Now, we want to add value to that identity,” the Chairman said.

He added that the Council was also working with relevant stakeholders to bring in 10 units of Korope buses, which would commence operations as soon as possible.

“We are working with the NURTW, Kwara State Chapter, for guidance and to ensure that the operation runs smoothly,” he added.

The Supervisory Councillor for Works and Infrastructure Development, Mrs. Kolo Rebecca, explained that the proposed park would feature several amenities, including a garage, warehouse, 100-unit shopping complex, parking spaces and general toilets.

She said the facilities were designed to boost economic activities, improve the image of the Local Government and provide a more convenient transportation system for residents.

According to her, the initiative is also in line with the efforts of the Kwara State Governor, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, to take governance and development directly to the grassroots.

The contractor, Mallam Jimoh Toheeb Abolore, assured the Local Government of the prompt execution of the project, promising that the construction would meet the required standards and contribute positively to the image and development of Ifelodun Local Government.

Those in attendance included the Vice Chairman, Hon. Nike Ajibola; Secretary to the Local Government, Dr. Kamil Akorede; DPM, Mallam Ayinde Salman; LGT, Mallam Usman Waheed; Chief of Staff to the Chairman, Chief Ademola Zubair; Head of Works, Engr. Awodi Muhammad; Land officer, Tola Kadir and other Special Assistants.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Lawyer Demands Release of Detained Kano Blogger, Maryam Shehu

Published

on

By Hassan Agboola

A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza Nuhu Dantani, has called for the immediate release of Kano-based blogger, Maryam Shehu, who he said has been in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for almost 30 days.

Dantani, in a statement on Monday, said the prolonged detention of Shehu was becoming difficult to reconcile with the rule of law and provisions of the 1999 Constitution, particularly her fundamental right to personal liberty.
He questioned why Shehu should remain in detention for nearly 30 days, particularly over an offence he described as ordinarily bailable.

“How on earth can a person be detained for almost 30 days and counting, particularly in relation to an offence that is ordinarily bailable, without meaningful consideration of her liberty and constitutional rights?” he asked.
Dantani said the EFCC’s powers to investigate did not give the commission the right to detain a suspect indefinitely, punish her before trial or disregard her fundamental rights.

He also criticised the alleged practice of photographing persons in EFCC custody and publishing their images online while they remain presumed innocent.
Citing Section 36(5) of the Constitution, Dantani said the law guarantees the presumption of innocence until a suspect is proven guilty by a competent court.

He warned that publicly portraying suspects as criminals before trial could amount to subjecting them to public punishment and humiliation.
“The EFCC is a law-enforcement institution. It must therefore be the first institution to demonstrate obedience to law. It cannot demand respect for law from citizens while appearing to disregard constitutional safeguards itself,” he said.

Dantani urged the commission to either charge Shehu before a competent court if it has credible evidence against her or release her immediately
.
“We call on EFCC to respect the Constitution, respect presumption of innocence and respect fundamental right to personal liberty. Investigation is not conviction. Detention is not punishment. And an allegation is not guilt,” he said.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Comment on Lionel Messi’s Tribute to His Dad Becomes Most-Liked Instagram Comment

Published

on

By Fabian Apechihin

Cristiano Ronaldo’s heartfelt message to Lionel Messi following the death of his father, Jorge Messi, has reportedly become the most-liked comment in Instagram history.

Jorge Messi died on August 7 in Rosario, Argentina, aged 68. Five days later, Messi paid tribute to his late father in an emotional Instagram post featuring a photo of the pair.

In the post, Messi wrote, “Te amo, pa” — meaning “I love you, Dad” — alongside a lengthy tribute reflecting on his father’s influence and the pain of losing him.

Among the many reactions from fans, celebrities and fellow footballers was a message from Ronaldo.

“Un abrazo enorme para ti y los tuyos en estos duros momentos, Leo. Mucha fuerza,” Ronaldo wrote, which translates to: “A huge hug to you and yours in these tough times, Leo. Much strength.”

Ronaldo’s comment reportedly attracted more than 6.86 million likes and over 86,000 comments, making it the most-liked comment on Instagram.

The previous record was also held by Ronaldo, whose comment on Kylian Mbappé’s announcement of his move to Real Madrid reportedly received more than five million likes.

Other football stars also expressed their condolences to Messi. Neymar Jr.’s message, translated as “Much strength for you and your family. Big hug,” reportedly received more than 1.6 million likes, while David Beckham’s comment expressing support for Messi and his family attracted more than 300,000 likes.

In his tribute, Messi described his father’s death as difficult to comprehend, saying he struggled to accept that he would no longer see or speak with him.

Messi also recalled how his father had encouraged him to play at the 2026 World Cup despite his deteriorating health. He said his father had hoped to watch him compete and had planned to travel if his condition improved.

According to Messi, he had promised his father that Argentina would reach the final so he could be there. Although Argentina reached the final, his father was unable to attend.

Reflecting on the loss, Messi said he had wanted to win the tournament and bring the trophy to his father but ultimately struggled physically during the competition.

The emotional tribute highlighted the close bond between Messi and his father and the profound impact of his loss on the football superstar.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.