Connect with us

News

AbdulRazaq launches Malaria-Free-Kwara campaign

Published

on

By Steve Oni, Ilorin

Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq on Friday flagged off a statewide campaign to curtail malaria, calling it one of the first fruits of his early interventions in the health sector where he recently paid N232m counterpart funds.

The campaign, named Malaria-Free-Kwara, qualifies Kwarans to access free malaria treatments in the health centres near them in the state. It is part of the Roll-Back-Malaria Partnership, a donor-funded programme which Kwara has now keyed into after AbdulRazaq paid the required counterpart funds.

“One of the interventions we have made in the health sector was to pay N82m (out of the total N232million) counterpart funds to show commitment to be involved in the global anti-malaria campaign led by the Roll-Back-Malaria Partnership, a donors-driven initiative to stamp out the menace of malaria in the world, especially in our country Nigeria,” he said at the official launch of the Malaria-Free-Kwara in Ilorin, the state capital.

“The Malaria-Free-Kwara we are launching this morning is a product of that timely intervention, which is to complement the humanitarian efforts of the Roll-Back-Malaria Partnership. No serious government, especially in Nigeria, should trivialise the global campaign against malaria. In 2018 alone, Nigeria recorded 100million malaria cases with at least 300,000 deaths resulting from such cases. Such shameful data contributed to our recurring low rating in global development indices.”

AbdulRazaq, who is currently in the entourage of President Muhammadu Buhari to Japan, was represented at the event by the Secretary to the State Government Dr Saba Jibril.

“As I flag off the Malaria Free Kwara campaign for year 2019, I request all Kwarans and caregivers in the state to visit the nearest health facility to them to access this service in the interest of everyone and overall well-being of our state,” he said.

Lamenting that the anti-malaria campaign had been purely donor-driven since 2008 when it started, AbdulRazaq said the payment of the counterpart funds has qualified Kwara for such future interventions by donors in the global campaign against the deadly disease.

“I assure you that our administration will continue to do everything possible to reposition the health sector in line with our campaign promises of making sure that quality health care services are available and obtainable by all and sundry so as to brighten our chances of achieving Universal Health Coverage,” he stated.

“It is our belief that with the planned sustainability of this project, Kwara State will witness a significant decline in malaria cases, which would in turn boost our standing in developmental ratings. I urge our religious and traditional leaders to support this project by giving their consent and creating awareness on the importance of these campaigns and its far-reaching effects on improving the health indices of the State. Let me make it clear that these interventions for eliminating malaria is “FREE FOR ALL”.

No fewer than 2,500 patients, meanwhile, have benefitted from a three-day Intensive Medical Intervention programme, organised by the US-based Kwara State Association of Nigerians (KSANG) and Sakinah Medical Outreach in conjunction with the Kwara State Government.
The free healthcare services, which cut across the three senatorial districts of the state, came up between 28th and 30th August at three different locations — Ajase Ipo, Tsaragi and Okelele primary healthcare centres.

KSANG President Dr. Yusuf Adanlawo said the gesture was aimed at complementing the AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq-government’s good intention to responding to the medical needs of Kwarans.

“Shortly after the elections, the Governor came to US and we listened to his passionate agenda about improving the people’s access to healthcare services. We assured him of doing whatever we can to support his government. That is why we raised fund within ourselves and put up this programme,” Adelanwo said in Ilorin at one of the outreach centres.

He expressed satisfaction about the turn out of patients suffering from different ailments such as malaria, diabetes, hypertension, cataract and sickle cell in all the selected locations, adding that the project gulped about N20million for medications only while the government provided the facilities to carry out the surgical aspect and other logistics.

The surgical operation for at least 150 patients would be carried out at the General Hospital, Ilorin, and Sobi Specialist Hospital in the next two weeks’ time, Adelanwo said.

He praised the government for appointing one of them, Professor Wale Suleiman, as Special Adviser on Health Matters. Adelanwo also acknowledged the government’s sincere commitment to engendering a healthy citizenry.

Alhaja Taiye Ahmed, a beneficiary of the outreach who checked her blood pressure, gave government a pass mark for providing such a platform, lamenting that a lot of patients had died because of certain ailments that could have been treated if they enjoyed timely medical care.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu Reaffirms Nigeria’s Commitment to One-China Principle

Published

on

By

Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu, Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on China–Nigeria Parliamentary Relations, has restated Nigeria’s unwavering adherence to the One-China Principle, cautioning politicians against actions that could undermine the country’s diplomatic position on Taiwan.

Yakubu stressed that Nigeria’s stance on the Taiwan question is “clear, consistent, and firmly rooted in international law, diplomatic principles, and bilateral agreements with the People’s Republic of China.” He underscored that since 1971, Nigeria has recognized the government of the People’s Republic of China as the sole legal authority representing the whole of China, with Taiwan regarded as an inalienable part of its territory.

“Nigeria opposes any form of ‘Taiwan Independence’ or interference in the internal affairs of China and firmly supports all efforts made by the Chinese government to achieve national reunification,” Yakubu declared.

He warned that any official or unofficial gesture suggesting support for separatist tendencies or Taiwan independence activities would contradict Nigeria’s established foreign policy and risk weakening the strong diplomatic ties between Abuja and Beijing.

Yakubu highlighted China’s role as a dependable strategic partner to Nigeria, particularly in infrastructure development, trade, investment, technology transfer, and human capacity building. He noted that bilateral trade between the two nations exceeded $28 billion in 2025, a 30.2 percent increase from the previous year, with China’s exports to Nigeria reaching $24.9 billion, driven by demand for machinery, electronics, and industrial inputs.

The lawmaker urged members of the National Assembly, political leaders, and public officials to exercise caution in their engagements, stressing the importance of preserving Nigeria’s foreign policy integrity. He further assured that the House Committee on China–Nigeria Relations remains committed to strengthening parliamentary cooperation and advancing the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between both countries.

Yakubu concluded by calling on Nigerians to support policies that reinforce the nation’s diplomatic interests, international credibility, and mutually beneficial cooperation with China.

Continue Reading

News

Centre, CSOs Decry Use of Substandard Building Materials, Building Collapse

Published

on

By

Center for Peace, Transparency and Accountability (CPTA) and coalition of over 50 civil society organizations have raised concerns over growing activities of unqualified contractors, the circulation of substandard building materials, corruption in procurement processes, and the disregard for approved construction standards.

According to the coalition, the practices have continued to weaken public safety and reduce confidence in national infrastructure systems.

Executive Director of CPTA Comrade Patrick Ogheneyero Jr. stated this yesterday in Abuja, during NBRRI’s engagement with CSO’s on building standard compliance in Abuja.

He said the engagement is both timely and necessary, saying “Across Nigeria, recurring cases of building collapse, substandard construction, weak regulatory compliance, and poor enforcement continue to threaten lives, investments, and public confidence.”

“We believe this engagement should lead to practical outcomes, including stronger collaboration among NBRRI, regulatory agencies, professional bodies, and anti-corruption institutions to ensure strict compliance with building standards and professional regulations,” he said.

He said every failed structure represents more than an engineering failure, adding that it reflects gaps in oversight, accountability, regulation, and professional ethics.

He said these challenges undermine the safety and stability of our communities.

“Infrastructure integrity remains directly connected to economic growth, urban development, national security, and public safety. Roads, bridges, schools, hospitals, and housing projects are not merely physical assets; they are symbols of governance, credibility, and national progress.

“In this regard, the role of NBRRI remains critical. As Nigeria’s leading research institution in building and road development, the Institute plays a strategic role in promoting standards, innovation, indigenous technologies, and quality assurance within the construction sector,” he said.

Comrade Ogheneyero while commending NBRRI for the engagement however, noted that

research and standards alone cannot deliver results without effective implementation and enforcement, adding that Civil society organizations therefore have an important responsibility to support transparency, accountability, and public awareness in the construction and infrastructure sectors.

“This initiative reflects openness, professionalism, and commitment to national development. Sustainable progress can only be achieved when public institutions and citizens work together in trust and partnership,” he said.

He called for greater public awareness on the dangers of poor construction practices and uncertified materials, urging the government to invest more in local research, innovation, and affordable indigenous building technologies developed to address Nigeria’s environmental and developmental realities.

Continue Reading

News

Protest: Coalition to Occupy NNPCL, NMDPRA, NASS Over Continued Fuel Imports

Published

on

By

Irked by the continued importation of fuel into Nigeria despite the operation of local refineries, a coalition of civil society and oil sector groups has announced a three-day peaceful protest.

The development was made known, in a statement was jointly signed by the trio of Comrade Adebayo Ogunseye for the Nigeria Civil Society Organisations Situation Room; Engr. Musa Ibrahim Danjuma for the Oil and Gas Workers Advancement Network; and Barrister Kingsley Chinedu Okafor for the National Coalition of Oil Assets Protection and Development, noting that the nationwide mobilisation became necessary following the disturbing and unpatriotic continuation of fuel import licences despite the existence and full operation of the world class Dangote Refinery and other local refining capacities in Nigeria.

The groups disclosed that the protest, tagged Occupy NNPCL, NMDPRA and National Assembly, will hold from Monday, May 18 to Wednesday, May 20, 2026, at the headquarters of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority, and the National Assembly of Nigeria in Abuja.

They emphasized that the action was prompted by the continued issuance of fuel import licences despite the availability of local refining capacity, including the Dangote Refinery.

“This nationwide mobilisation has become necessary following the disturbing continuation of fuel import licences despite the existence and full operation of local refining capacity in Nigeria,” the statement said.

The groups also referenced reports that the Dangote Refinery has instituted fresh legal action challenging the renewal of import licences by industry regulators, arguing that such approvals undermine local refining and violate existing laws.
They accused unnamed interests of frustrating Nigeria’s drive for energy security, job creation and economic independence.

“It is unacceptable that Nigeria still spends enormous resources importing refined petroleum products while local investors face institutional bottlenecks,” the statement said.

The coalition listed six demands, including the immediate suspension of fuel import licences where domestic production capacity exists, public disclosure of licence holders, and a National Assembly investigation into alleged sabotage in the downstream petroleum sector.
They also called for a clear national policy mandating the use of locally refined petroleum products before import approvals are considered.

They stressed that the protest is not directed at the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, but at what they described as entrenched interests within the petroleum sector.

“This protest is not against the administration. Some vested interests within the system are undermining the President’s vision for economic recovery and industrial growth,” the groups said.

The statement urged labour unions, youth groups, market associations and other stakeholders to participate in the rally.
“Nigeria must refine what it consumes and protect its economic sovereignty,” the coalition declared.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.