Connect with us

Sports

Australians flock to tennis courts after lockdown relaxed

Published

on

Australians have flocked to tennis courts in record numbers since social distancing measures put in place to contain the COVID-19 outbreak were relaxed, Tennis Australia (TA) said on Saturday.

Australia has been generally successful in containing the new coronavirus, even if the populous southern state of Victoria on Friday experienced a 10th straight day of double-digit new infections.

The relaxation of restrictions began in some parts of Australia in early May.

Government has pledged to remove the bulk of them by the end of July, although each state and territory is determining its own pace.

TA said data from its “Book a Court” online system showed a record 32,234 bookings made last month.

Traffic has doubled from a year earlier among venues that were using the system in May 2019.

“During the pandemic, we are seeing more people enjoying the social, mental and physical benefits of (tennis) while maintaining strict physical distancing measures,” TA chief executive Craig Tiley said in a statement.

“As restrictions in most of the country continue to ease over the coming months, we hope to build on these results as we approach our summer.”

Professional tennis also returns to Australia this weekend with the 450,000 Australian dollars (311,000 dollars) UTR Pro Series.

The series gets underway under strict biosecurity protocols at closed venues in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.(Reuters/NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Transfer: Gabriel Jesus Could Leave Arsenal as Napoli Show Interest

Published

on

Arsenal striker Gabriel Jesus could leave the club this summer, with Italian side Napoli reportedly interested in signing the Brazilian forward.

According to Sky Italia, Napoli’s new manager, Massimiliano Allegri, is a long-term admirer of Jesus and is keen to explore the possibility of bringing him to Serie A.

Jesus and Allegri share the same agent, Giovanni Branchini, who was reportedly spotted at Napoli’s pre-season training camp in Castel di Sangro on Friday.

A meeting could reportedly take place to discuss a potential move for the Arsenal forward.

Napoli’s interest could depend on their ability to offload one of their existing strikers. The club would reportedly need to find new destinations for Lorenzo Lucca, who spent last season on loan at Nottingham Forest, or Romelu Lukaku before making a move for Jesus.

Arsenal are reportedly willing to consider offers of around £18 million for the 29-year-old, who has entered the final year of his contract with the Gunners.

Jesus joined Arsenal from Manchester City in 2022 and could now be heading for a new challenge in Italy if Napoli’s interest develops into a formal transfer.

Continue Reading

Sports

Transfer: Liverpool Agree Loan Deal for Barcelona Defender Araujo

Published

on

Liverpool have reportedly reached an agreement with Barcelona to sign Uruguay international Ronald Araujo on loan.

According to Sky Sports, the deal could be completed this weekend, with the 27-year-old defender set to move to Anfield on a straight loan arrangement.

Araujo renewed his Barcelona contract last year, extending his stay at the Catalan club until 2031.

However, the defender endured a difficult campaign last season and was subsequently granted an extended leave of absence from the team.

The proposed move to Liverpool would give Araujo an opportunity to revive his career in a new league and country.

The Uruguay international joined Barcelona from Uruguayan club Boston River in 2018 before making his first-team breakthrough a year later.

Continue Reading

Sports

LaLiga: Mourinho Introduces Four New Rules at Real Madrid

Published

on

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho has reportedly introduced a series of new rules at the club after identifying what he considered bad habits within the dressing room.

Mourinho returned to the Spanish giants for a second spell this summer and has already begun implementing changes to improve discipline and professionalism within the squad, according to AS.

One of the new measures concerns players’ diets. The Portuguese manager has reportedly ended the freedom for players to eat whatever they choose, with the club’s nutritionist now responsible for overseeing their meals.

Under the new system, menus will be carefully structured and determined according to the nutritional needs of the players.

Mourinho has also introduced a disciplinary measure for players who arrive late to training. Such players will reportedly be required to undergo individual gym sessions.

Another rule concerns injury rehabilitation. Players recovering from injuries will now be expected to complete their rehabilitation at the club’s training ground under the supervision of Real Madrid’s medical and fitness staff rather than working independently with external personnel.

The changes are part of Mourinho’s reported efforts to establish greater discipline and control within the Real Madrid squad following his return to the club.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.