Connect with us

Uncategorized

Bandits Kill 20 in Fresh Katsina Attack Despite Peace Agreement

Published

on

Fabian Apechihin

No fewer than 20 people were killed on Tuesday when bandits launched a deadly attack on a community in Katsina State.

The attackers reportedly stormed Doma community in Tafoki Ward of Faskari Local Government Area, killing residents and setting houses and vehicles on fire before escaping.

Residents told Punch that the bandits invaded the area without resistance, unleashing violence on villagers and leaving widespread destruction in their wake.

Confirming the incident, the Chairman of Faskari Local Government Area, Surajo Aliyu, described the assault as a reprisal attack and the most deadly the area has witnessed in recent months.

“This attack is a reprisal one, and it is indeed very deadly because we have not experienced such violence in this area in the past five months,” Aliyu said.

He explained that although security agencies were alerted, they arrived too late to stop the attack.

“Today, at least 20 people were killed. Vehicles and houses were also burnt during this dastardly attack. We informed the security personnel, but unfortunately, they could not reach the area before the bandits carried out their heinous act,” he added.

Aliyu disclosed that the bodies of the victims had been evacuated, with burial scheduled for Wednesday morning in Tafoki.

He expressed sympathy with the affected community, saying, “We sympathise with the people of Doma, Tafoki Ward, Faskari, and the entire people of Katsina State, especially the bereaved families. May God bring an end to these senseless killings.”

Faskari Local Government Area was among the councils that entered into a peace agreement with bandits about five months ago, a move that had brought relative calm until the latest attack.

Attempts to obtain a response from the Katsina State Police Command were unsuccessful, as calls and messages to the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abubakar Sadiq, were not answered as of the time of filing this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Lawyer Demands Release of Detained Kano Blogger, Maryam Shehu

Published

on

By Hassan Agboola

A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza Nuhu Dantani, has called for the immediate release of Kano-based blogger, Maryam Shehu, who he said has been in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for almost 30 days.

Dantani, in a statement on Monday, said the prolonged detention of Shehu was becoming difficult to reconcile with the rule of law and provisions of the 1999 Constitution, particularly her fundamental right to personal liberty.
He questioned why Shehu should remain in detention for nearly 30 days, particularly over an offence he described as ordinarily bailable.

“How on earth can a person be detained for almost 30 days and counting, particularly in relation to an offence that is ordinarily bailable, without meaningful consideration of her liberty and constitutional rights?” he asked.
Dantani said the EFCC’s powers to investigate did not give the commission the right to detain a suspect indefinitely, punish her before trial or disregard her fundamental rights.

He also criticised the alleged practice of photographing persons in EFCC custody and publishing their images online while they remain presumed innocent.
Citing Section 36(5) of the Constitution, Dantani said the law guarantees the presumption of innocence until a suspect is proven guilty by a competent court.

He warned that publicly portraying suspects as criminals before trial could amount to subjecting them to public punishment and humiliation.
“The EFCC is a law-enforcement institution. It must therefore be the first institution to demonstrate obedience to law. It cannot demand respect for law from citizens while appearing to disregard constitutional safeguards itself,” he said.

Dantani urged the commission to either charge Shehu before a competent court if it has credible evidence against her or release her immediately
.
“We call on EFCC to respect the Constitution, respect presumption of innocence and respect fundamental right to personal liberty. Investigation is not conviction. Detention is not punishment. And an allegation is not guilt,” he said.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Comment on Lionel Messi’s Tribute to His Dad Becomes Most-Liked Instagram Comment

Published

on

By Fabian Apechihin

Cristiano Ronaldo’s heartfelt message to Lionel Messi following the death of his father, Jorge Messi, has reportedly become the most-liked comment in Instagram history.

Jorge Messi died on August 7 in Rosario, Argentina, aged 68. Five days later, Messi paid tribute to his late father in an emotional Instagram post featuring a photo of the pair.

In the post, Messi wrote, “Te amo, pa” — meaning “I love you, Dad” — alongside a lengthy tribute reflecting on his father’s influence and the pain of losing him.

Among the many reactions from fans, celebrities and fellow footballers was a message from Ronaldo.

“Un abrazo enorme para ti y los tuyos en estos duros momentos, Leo. Mucha fuerza,” Ronaldo wrote, which translates to: “A huge hug to you and yours in these tough times, Leo. Much strength.”

Ronaldo’s comment reportedly attracted more than 6.86 million likes and over 86,000 comments, making it the most-liked comment on Instagram.

The previous record was also held by Ronaldo, whose comment on Kylian Mbappé’s announcement of his move to Real Madrid reportedly received more than five million likes.

Other football stars also expressed their condolences to Messi. Neymar Jr.’s message, translated as “Much strength for you and your family. Big hug,” reportedly received more than 1.6 million likes, while David Beckham’s comment expressing support for Messi and his family attracted more than 300,000 likes.

In his tribute, Messi described his father’s death as difficult to comprehend, saying he struggled to accept that he would no longer see or speak with him.

Messi also recalled how his father had encouraged him to play at the 2026 World Cup despite his deteriorating health. He said his father had hoped to watch him compete and had planned to travel if his condition improved.

According to Messi, he had promised his father that Argentina would reach the final so he could be there. Although Argentina reached the final, his father was unable to attend.

Reflecting on the loss, Messi said he had wanted to win the tournament and bring the trophy to his father but ultimately struggled physically during the competition.

The emotional tribute highlighted the close bond between Messi and his father and the profound impact of his loss on the football superstar.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Why Did Senate President, Edo Governor Come to Osun to Monitor Election? – Analyst

Published

on

By Fabian Apechihin

Aliu Mohammed, Chief Executive Officer of Magnate Communication and Public Affairs Analyst, has questioned the decision of Senate President Godswill Akpabio and Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo to travel to Osun State to monitor the governorship election.

Mohammed raised the question while discussing political developments surrounding the election during an interview with Vanguard News TV on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.

The public affairs analyst wondered why senior political figures, including the Senate President and a governor from another state, would personally travel to Osun to monitor the election when the All Progressives Congress (APC) already had party officials on the ground to represent its interests.

“Why would people at the level of Senate President, the Governor of Edo State, come to Osun State to monitor an election when you have your party officials there?” Mohammed asked.

His comments came amid discussions about the involvement of senior APC figures in the Osun governorship election. Their presence in the state attracted attention as political parties and their supporters monitored the voting process and awaited the outcome.

Mohammed questioned the necessity of having the Senate President and the Edo State Governor physically present in Osun to observe the electoral process.

He argued that party officials ordinarily have the responsibility of monitoring elections and representing their parties at polling locations and other relevant stages of the process.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.