Uncategorized
China’s visa-free policies lead to surge in inbound tourism
By Guo Ziyun, Bai Yuanqi, People’s Daily
The number of foreign travelers to China increased threefold in the first quarter of this year compared with that in 2023. China issued 466,000 visas and documents to foreigners during this period, up 118.8 percent year on year. A total of nearly 1.99 million foreigners entered China visa-free, an increase of 266.1 percent.
China has continuously introduced a series of measures to optimize its visa system, including reducing the amount of information required on visa application forms, gradually reducing visa fees, simplifying the approval process for studying in China, exempting certain applicants from providing fingerprints, waiving the need for visa appointments, and implementing visa-free policies for citizens of certain countries.
These measures have provided greater convenience for foreigners traveling, working, studying, and living in China, and have been widely welcomed by the international community. The positive effects of these policies are becoming increasingly evident.
According to the Chinese National Immigration Administration, China resumed the 15-day visa-free policy for Singapore and Brunei passport holders for business, tourism, visiting relatives, and transit purposes on July 26, 2023.
On Dec. 1, 2023, China implemented an unilateral visa-free policy for ordinary passport holders from France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, and Malaysia. Three months later, it adopted a visa-free policy for Switzerland, Ireland, Hungary, Austria, Belgium and Luxembourg. On March 1, 2024, a mutual visa exemption agreement between China and Thailand officially took effect.
As of now, a total of 989,000 foreign nationals from these 15 countries have entered China visa-free, accounting for over 60 percent of the total number of visitors from these countries, and the number is still rising.
“I plan to take my family to China for a vacation this summer, and I really want to visit Sanya and Zhangjiajie. I saw the breathtaking scenery of Zhangjiajie in a video before, and it was truly spectacular,” said Laszlo, a resident of Budapest, Hungary, who was at a local travel agency seeking information about traveling to China.
He had been wanting to travel to China before, but his enthusiasm grew even stronger after the visa-free policy was implemented, Laszlo told People’s Daily.
Andrea, a staff member at the travel agency, said that there has been an increasing number of customers inquiring about traveling to China recently, as China has become a popular destination for international tourists.
Vincent Oomen, head of a Belgian travel agency , has been busy organizing tour groups to China recently.
“As soon as we learned that Belgium has obtained visa-free access to China, we immediately started planning travel itineraries and schedules to China,” he said.
On March 31, Oomen’s travel agency organized a group of 14 tourists to visit Beijing, Guizhou, and Guangxi, allowing them to experience the local customs and traditions up close and appreciate the charm of Chinese traditional culture and urban landscapes.
“We are still planning multiple tour groups to China, as many Belgians are eager to visit and explore the country,” he added.
The implementation of the visa-free agreement between China and Thailand has also spurred the willingness of tourists from the two countries to travel.
According to data from Ctrip, China’s leading online travel agency, on the day the agreement took effect, the number of Thai tourists traveling to China increased threefold compared to the same period last year, which also marked a surge of 160 percent compared to 2019.
Visa-free policies launched by China have been widely welcomed by foreign business people who are eager to expand into the Chinese market. Veronique Emmenegger, the founder of a Swiss medical beauty institution, told People’s Daily, “China is an important market for us, and the visa-free policy has made my travels much easier.”
Bernard Dewit, chairman of Belgium-Chinese Chamber of Commerce, said that China has implemented five measures to facilitate foreign travelers, and is actively addressing issues such as mobile payment for foreigners in China.
The country is committed to providing a safer, more comfortable, and convenient travel environment for foreign friends, which will further promote Chinese-foreign personnel exchanges, Dewit added.
Hungarian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Peter Szijjarto recently said that the trial implementation of the visa-free policy by China is good news for Hungarian tourists and business people traveling to China. In the spirit of reciprocity, the Hungarian government issues long-term visas to Chinese executives who come to Hungary for investment and cooperation.
Szijjarto stressed that these measures will further enhance economic, tourism, and cultural exchanges between Hungary and China.
It is reported that starting from April, there are up to 13 flights per week between Budapest and four Chinese cities: Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, and Ningbo.
These visa-free policies have not only encouraged more foreigners to come to China, but also allowed people from various countries to have a more comprehensive and in-depth understanding of China.
“For me, the most unforgettable part of my trip was the friendliness and hospitality of the Chinese people,” said Stefano Mirabella from Italy, who recently traveled to China.
“Before actually visiting China, I had heard some stereotypes about the country. However, during my travels across different parts of China, everyone greeted me with smiles and was willing to engage in conversations. Whenever I faced difficulties, the locals were always there to help me, without expecting anything in return. I am looking forward to visiting China again,” Mirabella said.
Uncategorized
Kwara Customs Hailed For A Clean Operational Record
Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin
The Nigeria Customs Service, Kwara Area Command, has received commendation from the Assistant Comptroller-General of Customs and Zonal Coordinator for Zone ‘B’, Nsikan Patrick Umoh, for maintaining a clean operational record and upholding professionalism in the discharge of its duties.
ACG Umoh gave the commendation during an oversight visit to the Command’s headquarters in Ilorin as part of her tour of operational commands within the zone.
Addressing officers and men of the Command, Umoh was excited that since she assumed office, her headquarters had not received any adverse report against the Kwara Area Command.
She said the record was a reflection of the discipline, integrity and professionalism demonstrated by personnel in their daily operations.
“I want to commend the leadership and personnel of the Kwara Area Command for their exemplary conduct, discipline and dedication to duty,” she said.
The Customs boss, who delivered the goodwill message of the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, MFR, urged officers to maintain high standards of professionalism both on and off duty.
She warned personnel against involvement in illicit drugs, sharp practices and other activities capable of tarnishing the image of the Service.
Umoh also called on officers to strengthen unity and teamwork, describing the Service as one family working towards a common goal. She assured them of the continued support of the zonal and Service headquarters.
Earlier, the Acting Area Controller of the Command, Deputy Comptroller Najeem Akanmu Ogundeyi, highlighted the major achievements, operational milestones and administrative successes recorded under his leadership.
The visit also featured an interactive session between the Zonal Coordinator and major trade stakeholders, including representatives of freight forwarding associations, the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), and major excise factories such as ITC and SANICA.
During the engagement, Umoh commended the existing relationship between the Command and the business community, while responding to concerns surrounding cargo clearance procedures, examination timelines and regional trade competitiveness.
The stakeholders also received clarifications on issues affecting their operations, with the Customs official assuring them of the Service’s commitment to facilitating legitimate trade.
The oversight visit ended with an inspection of the Command’s administrative offices, warehouse and residential barracks.
Umoh expressed satisfaction with the level of orderliness, environmental cleanliness and discipline observed across the facilities.
The Command said the visit further reinforced its commitment to professionalism, trade facilitation and effective service delivery in Kwara State.
Uncategorized
OUR LAND IS NOT FOR SALE, CATHOLIC PRIESTS TELL FG
By our Correspondent
The Nigeria Catholic Diocesan Priests Association (NCDPA), Makurdi Diocese, has strongly rejected the decision of the Federal Government to include Benue State in the pilot implementation of its National Ranching Policy.
The association said it was particularly concerned that Benue State, which it described as an already bleeding and targeted state, was included in the policy, which is initially kicking off at the Wase Grazing Reserve in Plateau State.
In a statement signed by its Chairman, Rev. Fr. Joseph Terfa Beba, the NCDPA expressed concern over what it described as the apparent exclusion of the Benue State Government from the decision-making and approval process.
The association said had the elected leadership of Benue State been genuinely consulted, it believed the state government would not have consented to any arrangement capable of undermining the rights, dignity, security and ancestral heritage of its people.
“We cannot accept a policy imposed upon a people whose communities have suffered killings, displacement, destruction and prolonged insecurity,” the association said.
It warned that ranching must not become a disguised instrument for land grabbing, forced occupation or the permanent displacement of indigenous communities.
The priests also cited the position of the Catholic Bishop of Makurdi Diocese, Bishop Wilfred Chikpa Anagbe, CMF, saying he had “consistently and courageously spoken against this injustice, culpable silence and every agenda that threatens the ancestral lands of our people.”
The association called on the Federal Government to respect the constitutional rights of the people of Benue State and engage the state government, traditional rulers and community leaders transparently before proceeding with the policy.
It also urged the government to ensure that displaced persons are enabled to return safely and take possession of their ancestral lands before any discussions concerning already existing designated ranching structures in parts of the state and the country.
The NCDPA maintained that Benue was predominantly an agrarian state and not a pastoralist society, arguing that ranching was therefore not viable in the state.
“Ranching in Benue State is therefore NOT VIABLE, and WE REJECT THIS PROJECT IDEA WITH ALL LEGAL AND SPIRITUAL RESOURCES,” the priests declared.
The association said there was no land in Benue for commercial ranching, stressing that ancestral homes should not be treated as bargaining chips.
“Our land is not for sale and has never been on sale. There is no land in Benue State for commercial ranching. Our ancestral homes are not bargaining chips.
“Our people must return home. Benue must not be enslaved through policy. There will be no surrender of our ancestral heritage in whatever form or guise being proposed or presented,” it said.
The association urged the Federal Government to address the concerns of Benue communities and prioritise the safe return of displaced persons before implementing any ranching arrangement in the state.
Uncategorized
Foundation To Immortalise Late Ex-Oyo Gov Alao-Akala Unveiled

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin
A fresh initiative aimed at preserving the legacy of service, compassion and grassroots development associated with the late former Oyo State Governor, Otunba Christopher Adebayo Alao-Akala, has been launched with the inauguration of the Alao-Akala Transformation Movement (ATM).
The movement, chaired by the late governor’s wife, Chief (Mrs.) Oluwakemi Alao-Akala, has been formally inaugurated in Ogbomoso as part of activities marking the posthumous celebration of the former governor, who died in 2022.
Speaking at the event, Oluwakemi said ATM was established to transform Alao-Akala’s philosophy of leadership and philanthropy into sustainable programmes capable of improving the lives of people across communities.
“This is not merely the inauguration of an organisation; it is the birth of a movement inspired by service, compassion, integrity and selfless leadership,” she said.
She stressed that ATM was neither a political party nor a partisan platform, noting that membership was open to people irrespective of political affiliation, ethnicity or religious background.
“Service to humanity knows no political boundary,” she declared.
According to her, the movement emerged after months of consultations involving members of the Alao-Akala family, political associates, community leaders, professionals, youths and admirers of the late governor.
She disclosed that the inaugural planning meeting was held at the family residence in Ibadan in March 2026, with subsequent meetings taking place every Tuesday at the movement’s headquarters.
Oluwakemi, who disclosed that ATM had already attracted members from the 33 local government areas of Oyo State, other parts of Nigeria and the Diaspora, explained that one of the movement’s major priorities was to sustain and expand Alao-Akala’s philanthropic legacy through interventions targeting widows, vulnerable families, students and other less privileged members of society.
“By the grace of God, we shall continue to deepen these interventions while introducing new initiatives in youth empowerment, educational support, healthcare, community development, leadership mentoring and social welfare,” she said.
The ATM chairperson appealed to individuals, corporate organisations, development partners and other well-meaning Nigerians to support the movement financially, professionally and through volunteer services.
She said the objective was to ensure that Alao-Akala’s legacy did not remain confined to speeches and annual commemorations but was translated into practical interventions that would positively affect communities.
As part of activities preceding the inauguration, members of ATM visited the Adebayo Alao-Akala College of Health Sciences in Ogbomoso and the Adebayo Alao-Akala Comprehensive Health Centre in Yaku Community.
Oluwakemi said the visits underscored the movement’s commitment to preserving the late governor’s contributions to healthcare, education and rural development.
She also explained the postponement of the inauguration, which was originally scheduled for June 3, 2026.
According to her, the event was postponed following the abduction of teachers and schoolchildren in Yawota and Esin Ele communities in Oriire Local Government Area.
“We considered it inappropriate to celebrate while families were in distress,” she said.
She expressed appreciation to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Governor Seyi Makinde, the Armed Forces, Nigeria Police Force, Department of State Services, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, local security volunteers and other agencies for their roles in securing the release of the abducted victims.
She also honoured security personnel who lost their lives during the rescue operation, praying for the repose of their souls and strength for their bereaved families.
The inauguration attracted political leaders, traditional rulers, religious leaders, members of the Alao-Akala family, supporters and representatives from across Oyo State.
Among those present were Senator Sharafadeen Alli, the All Progressives Congress governorship candidate for the 2027 election in Oyo State; his running mate, Hon. Michael Adesoye; and the Soun of Ogbomosoland, Oba Ghandi Afolabi Olaoye, Orumogege III, among other dignitaries.
Born on June 3, 1950, in Ogbomoso, Alao-Akala began his career in the Nigeria Police Force before venturing into politics.
He served as Chairman of Ogbomoso North Local Government, Deputy Governor of Oyo State and later Governor of the state.
His administration was associated with projects in road infrastructure, education, healthcare, rural development, agriculture, youth empowerment and security.
His name remains particularly associated with the Adebayo Alao-Akala College of Health Sciences in Ogbomoso and the Adebayo Alao-Akala Comprehensive Health Centre in Yaku Community.
Beyond political office, he was also known for philanthropy, with interventions reaching widows, students, artisans, traditional institutions, religious organisations, youth groups and other vulnerable members of society.
Oluwakemi said ATM provided an avenue for the family and admirers of the late governor to ensure that his values continued to inspire younger generations.
“The Alao-Akala Transformation Movement belongs to everyone who believes in compassionate leadership, peaceful coexistence and sustainable development,” she said.
“Together, we shall preserve a worthy legacy and transform lives for generations yet unborn.”
The inauguration also featured the presentation of a documentary titled “Otunba Christopher Adebayo Alao-Akala: A Legacy of Service”, goodwill messages from representatives of the Alao-Akala family, traditional rulers, political associates, friends and well-wishers, as well as a message from the Oyo State Government.
The vision, mission and objectives of ATM were formally presented by Mr Ademola Alao-Akala, while Hon. Olamiju Alao-Akala, MHR, delivered the vote of thanks.
Oluwakemi urged members and supporters to remain committed to the ideals of the movement, stressing that its ultimate goal was to turn Alao-Akala’s record of service into sustained humanitarian and developmental interventions.
“Akala Ni Joo, ATM! Akala Ni Jare, ATM! Ise Rere ’O Dura,” she declared.
-
Uncategorized6 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines11 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News12 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology5 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
