Connect with us

Uncategorized

Electoral malpractice: 3 varsity dons indicted, 3 INEC officials sacked in A’Ibom

Published

on

Mr Mike Igini, INEC’s Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Akwa Ibom, on Tuesday said that three university lecturers had been confirmed to have been involved in electoral malpractice during the 2019 general elections.
Igini, who addressed newsmen at the INEC office in Uyo, said that three officials of the electoral body had also been sacked over alleged involvement in electoral malpractices.
According to him, the three university teachers will soon be charged to court.
Igini, however, did not mention the names of the institutions and the areas where the malpractice took place.
“The lecturers, who were engaged as Collation and Returning Officers during the 2019 general elections, were reported to have manipulated and falsified election results.
“As I speak to you, not less than three of the staff of the commission from the ICT Unit and those in the rank of executive and administrative officers were also involved in actions that completely undermined the electoral process and integrity of the commission,” he said.
He said that the suspects compromised their positions and produced outcomes contrary to the will of the people, as expressed through the ballot.
“A panel we set up subsequently established a prima facie documentary evidence of deliberate criminal manipulation of election results against the Collation/Returning Officers,” Igini said.
He said that the involvement of the three INEC staff from the ICT unit had been proved beyond reasonable doubt.
“This action has become absolutely necessary because of the unsustainable belief by some members of the public that the commission does not sanction persons involved in electoral malpractices during elections.
“We must have an institution that has integrity to protect the will of the people in any election.
“Punishing those involved in unwholesome electoral activities will serve as a lesson and a clear message to those who will be engaged by INEC in future.
“It is good for them to know that INEC in Akwa Ibom will always be transparent. People engaged as presiding officers are a very important link. They are the last set of people in charge of election materials, particularly the ballot papers and result sheets,” the REC said.
He regretted that in spite of the training given to the electoral officers and staff of the commission, they went a different way and chose to involve themselves in unethical conduct.
Igini lamented that the officials manipulated and falsified election results, thereby producing outcomes that were contrary to the will of the people.
“Following a formal request by the Commission, the authorities of the affected institutions released the lecturers to appear before an investigative panel set up by INEC Headquarters on Aug. 12 and 26, 2020,” he revealed.
Igini noted that the INEC workers sacked were shown the way out “in line with the extant rules and the power of the commission to appoint, dismiss and to exercise disciplinary control over its staff”. (NAN)
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Kwara Customs Hailed For A Clean Operational Record

Published

on

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin

The Nigeria Customs Service, Kwara Area Command, has received commendation from the Assistant Comptroller-General of Customs and Zonal Coordinator for Zone ‘B’, Nsikan Patrick Umoh, for maintaining a clean operational record and upholding professionalism in the discharge of its duties.

ACG Umoh gave the commendation during an oversight visit to the Command’s headquarters in Ilorin as part of her tour of operational commands within the zone.

Addressing officers and men of the Command, Umoh was excited that since she assumed office, her headquarters had not received any adverse report against the Kwara Area Command.

She said the record was a reflection of the discipline, integrity and professionalism demonstrated by personnel in their daily operations.

“I want to commend the leadership and personnel of the Kwara Area Command for their exemplary conduct, discipline and dedication to duty,” she said.

The Customs boss, who delivered the goodwill message of the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, MFR, urged officers to maintain high standards of professionalism both on and off duty.

She warned personnel against involvement in illicit drugs, sharp practices and other activities capable of tarnishing the image of the Service.

Umoh also called on officers to strengthen unity and teamwork, describing the Service as one family working towards a common goal. She assured them of the continued support of the zonal and Service headquarters.

Earlier, the Acting Area Controller of the Command, Deputy Comptroller Najeem Akanmu Ogundeyi, highlighted the major achievements, operational milestones and administrative successes recorded under his leadership.

The visit also featured an interactive session between the Zonal Coordinator and major trade stakeholders, including representatives of freight forwarding associations, the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), and major excise factories such as ITC and SANICA.

During the engagement, Umoh commended the existing relationship between the Command and the business community, while responding to concerns surrounding cargo clearance procedures, examination timelines and regional trade competitiveness.

The stakeholders also received clarifications on issues affecting their operations, with the Customs official assuring them of the Service’s commitment to facilitating legitimate trade.

The oversight visit ended with an inspection of the Command’s administrative offices, warehouse and residential barracks.

Umoh expressed satisfaction with the level of orderliness, environmental cleanliness and discipline observed across the facilities.

The Command said the visit further reinforced its commitment to professionalism, trade facilitation and effective service delivery in Kwara State.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

OUR LAND IS NOT FOR SALE, CATHOLIC PRIESTS TELL FG

Published

on

By our Correspondent

The Nigeria Catholic Diocesan Priests Association (NCDPA), Makurdi Diocese, has strongly rejected the decision of the Federal Government to include Benue State in the pilot implementation of its National Ranching Policy.

The association said it was particularly concerned that Benue State, which it described as an already bleeding and targeted state, was included in the policy, which is initially kicking off at the Wase Grazing Reserve in Plateau State.
In a statement signed by its Chairman, Rev. Fr. Joseph Terfa Beba, the NCDPA expressed concern over what it described as the apparent exclusion of the Benue State Government from the decision-making and approval process.
The association said had the elected leadership of Benue State been genuinely consulted, it believed the state government would not have consented to any arrangement capable of undermining the rights, dignity, security and ancestral heritage of its people.
“We cannot accept a policy imposed upon a people whose communities have suffered killings, displacement, destruction and prolonged insecurity,” the association said.
It warned that ranching must not become a disguised instrument for land grabbing, forced occupation or the permanent displacement of indigenous communities.
The priests also cited the position of the Catholic Bishop of Makurdi Diocese, Bishop Wilfred Chikpa Anagbe, CMF, saying he had “consistently and courageously spoken against this injustice, culpable silence and every agenda that threatens the ancestral lands of our people.”
The association called on the Federal Government to respect the constitutional rights of the people of Benue State and engage the state government, traditional rulers and community leaders transparently before proceeding with the policy.
It also urged the government to ensure that displaced persons are enabled to return safely and take possession of their ancestral lands before any discussions concerning already existing designated ranching structures in parts of the state and the country.
The NCDPA maintained that Benue was predominantly an agrarian state and not a pastoralist society, arguing that ranching was therefore not viable in the state.
“Ranching in Benue State is therefore NOT VIABLE, and WE REJECT THIS PROJECT IDEA WITH ALL LEGAL AND SPIRITUAL RESOURCES,” the priests declared.
The association said there was no land in Benue for commercial ranching, stressing that ancestral homes should not be treated as bargaining chips.
“Our land is not for sale and has never been on sale. There is no land in Benue State for commercial ranching. Our ancestral homes are not bargaining chips.
“Our people must return home. Benue must not be enslaved through policy. There will be no surrender of our ancestral heritage in whatever form or guise being proposed or presented,” it said.
The association urged the Federal Government to address the concerns of Benue communities and prioritise the safe return of displaced persons before implementing any ranching arrangement in the state.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Foundation To Immortalise Late Ex-Oyo Gov Alao-Akala Unveiled

Published

on

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin

A fresh initiative aimed at preserving the legacy of service, compassion and grassroots development associated with the late former Oyo State Governor, Otunba Christopher Adebayo Alao-Akala, has been launched with the inauguration of the Alao-Akala Transformation Movement (ATM).

The movement, chaired by the late governor’s wife, Chief (Mrs.) Oluwakemi Alao-Akala, has been formally inaugurated in Ogbomoso as part of activities marking the posthumous celebration of the former governor, who died in 2022.

Speaking at the event, Oluwakemi said ATM was established to transform Alao-Akala’s philosophy of leadership and philanthropy into sustainable programmes capable of improving the lives of people across communities.

“This is not merely the inauguration of an organisation; it is the birth of a movement inspired by service, compassion, integrity and selfless leadership,” she said.

She stressed that ATM was neither a political party nor a partisan platform, noting that membership was open to people irrespective of political affiliation, ethnicity or religious background.

“Service to humanity knows no political boundary,” she declared.

According to her, the movement emerged after months of consultations involving members of the Alao-Akala family, political associates, community leaders, professionals, youths and admirers of the late governor.

She disclosed that the inaugural planning meeting was held at the family residence in Ibadan in March 2026, with subsequent meetings taking place every Tuesday at the movement’s headquarters.

Oluwakemi, who disclosed that ATM had already attracted members from the 33 local government areas of Oyo State, other parts of Nigeria and the Diaspora, explained that one of the movement’s major priorities was to sustain and expand Alao-Akala’s philanthropic legacy through interventions targeting widows, vulnerable families, students and other less privileged members of society.

“By the grace of God, we shall continue to deepen these interventions while introducing new initiatives in youth empowerment, educational support, healthcare, community development, leadership mentoring and social welfare,” she said.

The ATM chairperson appealed to individuals, corporate organisations, development partners and other well-meaning Nigerians to support the movement financially, professionally and through volunteer services.

She said the objective was to ensure that Alao-Akala’s legacy did not remain confined to speeches and annual commemorations but was translated into practical interventions that would positively affect communities.

As part of activities preceding the inauguration, members of ATM visited the Adebayo Alao-Akala College of Health Sciences in Ogbomoso and the Adebayo Alao-Akala Comprehensive Health Centre in Yaku Community.

Oluwakemi said the visits underscored the movement’s commitment to preserving the late governor’s contributions to healthcare, education and rural development.

She also explained the postponement of the inauguration, which was originally scheduled for June 3, 2026.

According to her, the event was postponed following the abduction of teachers and schoolchildren in Yawota and Esin Ele communities in Oriire Local Government Area.

“We considered it inappropriate to celebrate while families were in distress,” she said.

She expressed appreciation to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Governor Seyi Makinde, the Armed Forces, Nigeria Police Force, Department of State Services, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, local security volunteers and other agencies for their roles in securing the release of the abducted victims.

She also honoured security personnel who lost their lives during the rescue operation, praying for the repose of their souls and strength for their bereaved families.

The inauguration attracted political leaders, traditional rulers, religious leaders, members of the Alao-Akala family, supporters and representatives from across Oyo State.

Among those present were Senator Sharafadeen Alli, the All Progressives Congress governorship candidate for the 2027 election in Oyo State; his running mate, Hon. Michael Adesoye; and the Soun of Ogbomosoland, Oba Ghandi Afolabi Olaoye, Orumogege III, among other dignitaries.

Born on June 3, 1950, in Ogbomoso, Alao-Akala began his career in the Nigeria Police Force before venturing into politics.

He served as Chairman of Ogbomoso North Local Government, Deputy Governor of Oyo State and later Governor of the state.

His administration was associated with projects in road infrastructure, education, healthcare, rural development, agriculture, youth empowerment and security.

His name remains particularly associated with the Adebayo Alao-Akala College of Health Sciences in Ogbomoso and the Adebayo Alao-Akala Comprehensive Health Centre in Yaku Community.

Beyond political office, he was also known for philanthropy, with interventions reaching widows, students, artisans, traditional institutions, religious organisations, youth groups and other vulnerable members of society.

Oluwakemi said ATM provided an avenue for the family and admirers of the late governor to ensure that his values continued to inspire younger generations.

“The Alao-Akala Transformation Movement belongs to everyone who believes in compassionate leadership, peaceful coexistence and sustainable development,” she said.

“Together, we shall preserve a worthy legacy and transform lives for generations yet unborn.”

The inauguration also featured the presentation of a documentary titled “Otunba Christopher Adebayo Alao-Akala: A Legacy of Service”, goodwill messages from representatives of the Alao-Akala family, traditional rulers, political associates, friends and well-wishers, as well as a message from the Oyo State Government.

The vision, mission and objectives of ATM were formally presented by Mr Ademola Alao-Akala, while Hon. Olamiju Alao-Akala, MHR, delivered the vote of thanks.

Oluwakemi urged members and supporters to remain committed to the ideals of the movement, stressing that its ultimate goal was to turn Alao-Akala’s record of service into sustained humanitarian and developmental interventions.

“Akala Ni Joo, ATM! Akala Ni Jare, ATM! Ise Rere ’O Dura,” she declared.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.