Uncategorized
EndSARS: LASG sets up panel to investigate SARS brutality
The Lagos State Government on Thursday set up a seven-man Judicial Panel of Enquiry and Restitution on the excesses of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu made this known at the Lagos House, Marina, during a media briefing on the ongong EndSARS protests in the state.
Sanwo-Olu said that the Judicial Panel of Enquiry and Restitution was to investigate human rights violations committed by operatives of the dissolved SARS in Lagos State.
He said that the move was part of the steps being taken by Lagos Government to address the five-point demands of the youth protesting against SARS brutality.
The governor said that the panel, being headed by Rtd Justice Doris Okuwobi, would sit for six months and was mandated to thoroughly investigate all verifiable claims of abuses and fatalities arising from SARS engagement in the state.
He said that this was with the objective to bring erring officers to justice and get compensation for the victims.
”A Panel of Enquiry and Restitution for Victims of SARS Related Abuses in Lagos State is now being constituted. This seven-man panel will ensure that all those with verifiable cases of SARS brutality or fatality receive compensation.
The panel will be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, while other members are: Mr Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society); Rtd. DIG Taiwo Lakanu (a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police); and Ms Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society);
”Others are Mr Segun Awosanya (Human Rights Activist); Mrs Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens Mediation Centre); as well as a rep/member of the youth-led protest and a representative of the Human Rights Commission,” he said.
The governor said that the state would also be setting up a help desk for the complaints and petitions to the panel.
He said that as from next week, residents could reach the help desk on the following numbers: 09010513203; 09010513204 and 09010513205.
Sanwo-Olu said that himself and his deputy had engaged the protesters on numerous occasions and listened to their concerns and agitations.
”We feel their pain and share their clamour for far-reaching police reforms, for a police that serves and protects the people of Lagos and Nigeria, not one that intimidates and oppresses them.
”Nigeria’s development aspirations will not be achieved without a responsive and ethical police.
”One of the things you asked for is the release of all arrested protesters. I assure you that as at today, all detainees have been released.
“If you know of anyone still in police custody, please bring same to my notice.
”I am also pleased to confirm to you that all the other demands have been addressed by the President who has given the I-G of Police the go-ahead to implement all the demands.
”We have, in fact, also set up a N200 million victims compensation fund to take care of all compensation due to those verifiable cases of SARS brutality and fatality in the state,” he said.
The governor said Lagos State was taking the issue of police misconduct very seriously.
He said that earlier in the week, there was an incident of police misconduct at the Area “C” Command in Surulere and all four erring police officers were facing an orderly room trial which we are monitoring closely.
The officers are Insp. Bagou Michael; Insp. Ekpoudom Etop; Sgt. Nnamdi Majura and Sgt. Akinyemi Benson.
”Let me now directly address all protesters who have taken their message to the street to agitate for change and reform of the police. It is now time to ask you all, to acknowledge the progress being made and to respond in good faith.
”We are starting to record violent incidents as well as the breakdown of law and order. This week we have seen an escalation in incidents arising from the protests.
”Reports of medical evacuations hindered by the blockage of key roads and the worsening traffic arising from the protests.
“Lagosians who are unable to go to their workplaces or earn a legitimate living because of the collateral impact of protest gatherings.
”We therefore cannot continue this way. What we need now, and ask for, is for you to sheath your swords, and give us a chance, as Federal and State Governments, to consolidate on these actions being promptly taken to address your concerns.
”Even as we affirm the constitutional rights of all protesters to peacefully make your grievances known, it is also our duty as a government to ensure that the exercise of one set of rights by one group of people does not in any way constrain the rights of any other group of people.
”We now have no choice but to take every necessary step to restore law and order and to minimise the disruptions being experienced by all law-abiding residents of Lagos State,” he said.
Uncategorized
Kwara Customs Hailed For A Clean Operational Record
Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin
The Nigeria Customs Service, Kwara Area Command, has received commendation from the Assistant Comptroller-General of Customs and Zonal Coordinator for Zone ‘B’, Nsikan Patrick Umoh, for maintaining a clean operational record and upholding professionalism in the discharge of its duties.
ACG Umoh gave the commendation during an oversight visit to the Command’s headquarters in Ilorin as part of her tour of operational commands within the zone.
Addressing officers and men of the Command, Umoh was excited that since she assumed office, her headquarters had not received any adverse report against the Kwara Area Command.
She said the record was a reflection of the discipline, integrity and professionalism demonstrated by personnel in their daily operations.
“I want to commend the leadership and personnel of the Kwara Area Command for their exemplary conduct, discipline and dedication to duty,” she said.
The Customs boss, who delivered the goodwill message of the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, MFR, urged officers to maintain high standards of professionalism both on and off duty.
She warned personnel against involvement in illicit drugs, sharp practices and other activities capable of tarnishing the image of the Service.
Umoh also called on officers to strengthen unity and teamwork, describing the Service as one family working towards a common goal. She assured them of the continued support of the zonal and Service headquarters.
Earlier, the Acting Area Controller of the Command, Deputy Comptroller Najeem Akanmu Ogundeyi, highlighted the major achievements, operational milestones and administrative successes recorded under his leadership.
The visit also featured an interactive session between the Zonal Coordinator and major trade stakeholders, including representatives of freight forwarding associations, the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), and major excise factories such as ITC and SANICA.
During the engagement, Umoh commended the existing relationship between the Command and the business community, while responding to concerns surrounding cargo clearance procedures, examination timelines and regional trade competitiveness.
The stakeholders also received clarifications on issues affecting their operations, with the Customs official assuring them of the Service’s commitment to facilitating legitimate trade.
The oversight visit ended with an inspection of the Command’s administrative offices, warehouse and residential barracks.
Umoh expressed satisfaction with the level of orderliness, environmental cleanliness and discipline observed across the facilities.
The Command said the visit further reinforced its commitment to professionalism, trade facilitation and effective service delivery in Kwara State.
Uncategorized
OUR LAND IS NOT FOR SALE, CATHOLIC PRIESTS TELL FG
By our Correspondent
The Nigeria Catholic Diocesan Priests Association (NCDPA), Makurdi Diocese, has strongly rejected the decision of the Federal Government to include Benue State in the pilot implementation of its National Ranching Policy.
The association said it was particularly concerned that Benue State, which it described as an already bleeding and targeted state, was included in the policy, which is initially kicking off at the Wase Grazing Reserve in Plateau State.
In a statement signed by its Chairman, Rev. Fr. Joseph Terfa Beba, the NCDPA expressed concern over what it described as the apparent exclusion of the Benue State Government from the decision-making and approval process.
The association said had the elected leadership of Benue State been genuinely consulted, it believed the state government would not have consented to any arrangement capable of undermining the rights, dignity, security and ancestral heritage of its people.
“We cannot accept a policy imposed upon a people whose communities have suffered killings, displacement, destruction and prolonged insecurity,” the association said.
It warned that ranching must not become a disguised instrument for land grabbing, forced occupation or the permanent displacement of indigenous communities.
The priests also cited the position of the Catholic Bishop of Makurdi Diocese, Bishop Wilfred Chikpa Anagbe, CMF, saying he had “consistently and courageously spoken against this injustice, culpable silence and every agenda that threatens the ancestral lands of our people.”
The association called on the Federal Government to respect the constitutional rights of the people of Benue State and engage the state government, traditional rulers and community leaders transparently before proceeding with the policy.
It also urged the government to ensure that displaced persons are enabled to return safely and take possession of their ancestral lands before any discussions concerning already existing designated ranching structures in parts of the state and the country.
The NCDPA maintained that Benue was predominantly an agrarian state and not a pastoralist society, arguing that ranching was therefore not viable in the state.
“Ranching in Benue State is therefore NOT VIABLE, and WE REJECT THIS PROJECT IDEA WITH ALL LEGAL AND SPIRITUAL RESOURCES,” the priests declared.
The association said there was no land in Benue for commercial ranching, stressing that ancestral homes should not be treated as bargaining chips.
“Our land is not for sale and has never been on sale. There is no land in Benue State for commercial ranching. Our ancestral homes are not bargaining chips.
“Our people must return home. Benue must not be enslaved through policy. There will be no surrender of our ancestral heritage in whatever form or guise being proposed or presented,” it said.
The association urged the Federal Government to address the concerns of Benue communities and prioritise the safe return of displaced persons before implementing any ranching arrangement in the state.
Uncategorized
Foundation To Immortalise Late Ex-Oyo Gov Alao-Akala Unveiled

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin
A fresh initiative aimed at preserving the legacy of service, compassion and grassroots development associated with the late former Oyo State Governor, Otunba Christopher Adebayo Alao-Akala, has been launched with the inauguration of the Alao-Akala Transformation Movement (ATM).
The movement, chaired by the late governor’s wife, Chief (Mrs.) Oluwakemi Alao-Akala, has been formally inaugurated in Ogbomoso as part of activities marking the posthumous celebration of the former governor, who died in 2022.
Speaking at the event, Oluwakemi said ATM was established to transform Alao-Akala’s philosophy of leadership and philanthropy into sustainable programmes capable of improving the lives of people across communities.
“This is not merely the inauguration of an organisation; it is the birth of a movement inspired by service, compassion, integrity and selfless leadership,” she said.
She stressed that ATM was neither a political party nor a partisan platform, noting that membership was open to people irrespective of political affiliation, ethnicity or religious background.
“Service to humanity knows no political boundary,” she declared.
According to her, the movement emerged after months of consultations involving members of the Alao-Akala family, political associates, community leaders, professionals, youths and admirers of the late governor.
She disclosed that the inaugural planning meeting was held at the family residence in Ibadan in March 2026, with subsequent meetings taking place every Tuesday at the movement’s headquarters.
Oluwakemi, who disclosed that ATM had already attracted members from the 33 local government areas of Oyo State, other parts of Nigeria and the Diaspora, explained that one of the movement’s major priorities was to sustain and expand Alao-Akala’s philanthropic legacy through interventions targeting widows, vulnerable families, students and other less privileged members of society.
“By the grace of God, we shall continue to deepen these interventions while introducing new initiatives in youth empowerment, educational support, healthcare, community development, leadership mentoring and social welfare,” she said.
The ATM chairperson appealed to individuals, corporate organisations, development partners and other well-meaning Nigerians to support the movement financially, professionally and through volunteer services.
She said the objective was to ensure that Alao-Akala’s legacy did not remain confined to speeches and annual commemorations but was translated into practical interventions that would positively affect communities.
As part of activities preceding the inauguration, members of ATM visited the Adebayo Alao-Akala College of Health Sciences in Ogbomoso and the Adebayo Alao-Akala Comprehensive Health Centre in Yaku Community.
Oluwakemi said the visits underscored the movement’s commitment to preserving the late governor’s contributions to healthcare, education and rural development.
She also explained the postponement of the inauguration, which was originally scheduled for June 3, 2026.
According to her, the event was postponed following the abduction of teachers and schoolchildren in Yawota and Esin Ele communities in Oriire Local Government Area.
“We considered it inappropriate to celebrate while families were in distress,” she said.
She expressed appreciation to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Governor Seyi Makinde, the Armed Forces, Nigeria Police Force, Department of State Services, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, local security volunteers and other agencies for their roles in securing the release of the abducted victims.
She also honoured security personnel who lost their lives during the rescue operation, praying for the repose of their souls and strength for their bereaved families.
The inauguration attracted political leaders, traditional rulers, religious leaders, members of the Alao-Akala family, supporters and representatives from across Oyo State.
Among those present were Senator Sharafadeen Alli, the All Progressives Congress governorship candidate for the 2027 election in Oyo State; his running mate, Hon. Michael Adesoye; and the Soun of Ogbomosoland, Oba Ghandi Afolabi Olaoye, Orumogege III, among other dignitaries.
Born on June 3, 1950, in Ogbomoso, Alao-Akala began his career in the Nigeria Police Force before venturing into politics.
He served as Chairman of Ogbomoso North Local Government, Deputy Governor of Oyo State and later Governor of the state.
His administration was associated with projects in road infrastructure, education, healthcare, rural development, agriculture, youth empowerment and security.
His name remains particularly associated with the Adebayo Alao-Akala College of Health Sciences in Ogbomoso and the Adebayo Alao-Akala Comprehensive Health Centre in Yaku Community.
Beyond political office, he was also known for philanthropy, with interventions reaching widows, students, artisans, traditional institutions, religious organisations, youth groups and other vulnerable members of society.
Oluwakemi said ATM provided an avenue for the family and admirers of the late governor to ensure that his values continued to inspire younger generations.
“The Alao-Akala Transformation Movement belongs to everyone who believes in compassionate leadership, peaceful coexistence and sustainable development,” she said.
“Together, we shall preserve a worthy legacy and transform lives for generations yet unborn.”
The inauguration also featured the presentation of a documentary titled “Otunba Christopher Adebayo Alao-Akala: A Legacy of Service”, goodwill messages from representatives of the Alao-Akala family, traditional rulers, political associates, friends and well-wishers, as well as a message from the Oyo State Government.
The vision, mission and objectives of ATM were formally presented by Mr Ademola Alao-Akala, while Hon. Olamiju Alao-Akala, MHR, delivered the vote of thanks.
Oluwakemi urged members and supporters to remain committed to the ideals of the movement, stressing that its ultimate goal was to turn Alao-Akala’s record of service into sustained humanitarian and developmental interventions.
“Akala Ni Joo, ATM! Akala Ni Jare, ATM! Ise Rere ’O Dura,” she declared.
-
Uncategorized6 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines11 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News12 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology5 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
