Connect with us

News

Federal Government Renews Commitment to Tackle Emergent Security Threats in Borno

Published

on

The renewed surge in violent attacks across parts of Borno State has drawn swift attention from the Federal Government, with assurances of increased military support to reverse the unsettling trend.

In what many consider a critical intervention, the Minister of Defence, Alhaji Abubakar Badaru, led a high-powered delegation to Maiduguri on Friday. The delegation included the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Christopher Musa, top military commanders, and representatives of all service chiefs.

The visit, which followed a presidential directive, was aimed at assessing the security situation and consulting with state authorities on immediate solutions to the resurgence of insecurity.

Badaru made it clear that the Federal Government is not only concerned but is also prepared to act decisively.

“This powerful team from the defence sector is here the Chief of Defence Staff himself, the two commanders, both outgoing and incoming, and representatives of all the service chiefs,” the minister told Gov. Babagana Zulum during the courtesy call.

“We are here this morning, or this afternoon, Your Excellency, to engage our team here and find out what their requirements are, so as to stop the new trend of insecurity we have been seeing in Borno State and the North East.”

According to him, President Bola Tinubu had authorised the team to determine the exact needs of the security forces on ground, especially in terms of personnel and equipment.

“The President has given us the directive to make sure we provide everything required to stop this ugly tide,” Badaru said.

Borno, which has witnessed over a decade of insurgency from Boko Haram and ISWAP fighters, had seen significant security gains in recent years. These gains have enabled thousands of displaced persons to return home and begin rebuilding their lives.

However, the Defence Minister admitted that recent developments were threatening those hard-won victories. I want to assure you on behalf of the President that we will nip this in the bud and restore the peace that we have enjoyed in recent years,” he said.

To ensure sustained attention to the North East theatre of operations, Badaru said daily situation reports from the region would now be submitted directly to the President. The minister also acknowledged Zulum’s longstanding involvement and insight into the region’s security affairs.

“We are here to engage you and the state on what advice and guidance you might have for the Armed Forces. We believe your suggestions and ideas will help us further strengthen our strategies and tactics on how to end this insecurity.”

Gov. Babagana Zulum, in his response, welcomed the delegation and expressed optimism that the visit would usher in a new phase of improved collaboration and results.

“I want to most sincerely thank you for this visit, and it is our sincere hope that this visit will change the security narrative in Borno State. A lot has been said about what is ongoing in Borno State, but insha’Allah, we are optimistic that the security situation will be okay very soon,” he said.

Zulum emphasised the need for resilience and continued political and military coordination to ensure that progress is not reversed.

“We have to be resilient enough and ensure that the successes that have so far been recorded will not diminish, insha’Allah,” he said.

The governor pledged full political support to the military and praised the Federal Government, the Ministry of Defence, and the service chiefs for their sustained backing over the years.

“I want to assure you that I will provide the necessary political aid and commitment needed to collaborate and support the Nigerian military with the duty of ending the insurgency,” he said.

Zulum also commended the outgoing Theatre Commander and the GOC, Sector 3, for their dedication in the fight against insurgency.

Nonetheless, he voiced concern about the overstretched manpower of the military and its impact on forest security and border control in the state.

“Some of the problems we are facing in Borno State include limited manpower to manage our forests. Manpower is very essential,” he said.

“While I am aware of the constraints of the Nigerian Army, because you are everywhere — North West, North Central, North East, even South I still believe the Army should look into the possibility of sending more trained manpower to the North East.”

Zulum also drew attention to the growing complexity of threats, distinguishing between Boko Haram, ISWAP, and bandits. He warned that ISWAP and Boko Haram continue to receive international support, making the situation more dangerous.

“There is a difference between ISWAP, Boko Haram, and bandits. ISWAP and Boko Haram are receiving international support. Looking at our forest borders and the many immigrants entering through the Sahel, this is a major problem,” he said.

The governor stressed the strategic importance of the Sahel to Nigeria’s overall security architecture.

“If the Sahel is not secured, the entire Nigeria will not be secured. So there is a need to fortify the security situation in the Sahel in order to end the crisis across the country,” he added.

Zulum concluded by calling for continuous and intensified military operations, warning that any pause could provide room for regrouping by insurgent groups. Military operations must be a continuous exercise,” he said.

As the meeting ended, both sides reaffirmed their commitment to work closely and swiftly to address the evolving threats. For the people of Borno, the renewed focus brings a glimmer of hope that peace may once again be within reach.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Dr. Nafiu Sankara Emerges as Kano Central Senatorial Candidate Ahead of the Next Elections

Published

on

By

Dr. Nafiu Danladi Sankara has emerged as a leading political figure and consensus candidate for the Kano Central Senatorial District under the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) ahead of the 2027 elections. His emergence reflects a growing call for purposeful leadership, youth inclusion, and a renewed political vision for Kano and Nigeria at large.

Dr. Sankara is widely known for his contributions to community development, youth empowerment, and public engagement. A politician, philanthropist, and public affairs advocate, he has consistently supported initiatives aimed at improving opportunities for young people and strengthening grassroots participation in governance.

His political journey is not new. In the 2019 general elections, Dr. Sankara contested as an aspirant for the House of Representatives under the PDP to represent the Tarauni Federal Constituency in Kano State. His participation in the democratic process demonstrated his long-standing commitment to public service and political representation.

With a vision centered on Youth Empowerment, Innovation, Good Governance, and National Unity, Dr. Sankara is seen by supporters as part of a new generation of leaders focused on inclusive development and responsive representation. His message emphasizes the importance of accountability, opportunity creation, and citizen-centered leadership.

Supporters and party stakeholders believe his experience in community engagement and grassroots mobilization will contribute positively to legislative representation, ensuring that the concerns of ordinary citizens receive adequate attention. His growing acceptance across different groups is seen as a sign of confidence in his leadership and political aspirations.

As preparations for the 2027 elections continue, many observers view Dr. Nafiu Sankara’s political journey as part of a broader conversation about leadership renewal, youth participation, and the future direction of governance in Kano State and Nigeria.

“The Youth. The Vision. The Change. The Future is Ours.”

Continue Reading

News

Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu Declared Winner of Bali/Gassol Federal Constituency in Taraba

Published

on

By

Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu, Chairman of the House Committee on Nigeria-China Friendship Group, has been declared the winner of the APC primary elections for the Bali/Gassol Federal Constituency in Taraba State. His victory reflects the overwhelming support of voters across the constituency, who have entrusted him once again with the responsibility of representing their interests at the National Assembly.

Since his election into the House of Representatives, Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu has distinguished himself as a legislator of vision and purpose. His leadership of the Nigeria-China Friendship Group has been instrumental in strengthening bilateral ties, particularly in areas of trade, infrastructure, and technology. He has consistently demonstrated the ability to balance international diplomacy with grassroots development, ensuring that his constituency benefits from both global partnerships and local initiatives.

Hon. Yakubu is widely respected for his integrity, accessibility, and people-centered approach to governance. Voters describe him as approachable and transparent, qualities that have earned him trust and loyalty. His interventions in education, road construction, and youth empowerment have provided vital opportunities for rural communities in Taraba, connecting them to broader national development. His consistency in legislative duties and his reliability as a representative have further cemented his standing as a dependable voice in the House of Representatives.

His victory at the primaries is not just a political achievement but a reaffirmation of his commitment to service. Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu’s re-election bid promises continuity in championing international cooperation, local development, and legislative accountability. As Taraba looks forward to stronger representation in the National Assembly, Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu stands out as a leader who combines vision, diplomacy, and grassroots connection to deliver meaningful progress for Bali/Gassol and Nigeria at large.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Mega Group Mobilises 1,500, Endorses Tinubu’s Second Term Bid

Published

on

By

The nation’s capital, Abuja, witnessed a massive political gathering on Tuesday as thousands of supporters under the umbrella of the Tinubu Mega Group (TMG) staged what organisers described as a “National Unity Rally” in support of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and his re election bid ahead of the 2027 presidential election.The rally, which attracted participants from across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, brought together over 1,500 groups comprising professionals, civil society organisations, youth associations, religious leaders, artisans, traders, women groups, and grassroots mobilisers.At the rally, the coalition formally presented what it described as the endorsement of “20 million Nigerians” for another four years of President Tinubu’s administration, insisting that ongoing economic and structural reforms must be sustained beyond 2027.Addressing the gathering, the National Spokesperson of the Tinubu Mega Group, Tijani Ali Danjuma, said the rally represented the collective voice of Nigerians who believe in continuity, stability, and national progress.According to him, despite prevailing economic difficulties and global challenges, the Tinubu administration has demonstrated courage and direction in tackling inherited national problems.He highlighted ongoing infrastructure projects, renewed investments in local refining, economic stabilisation efforts, improved support for state governments, social intervention programmes, and reforms targeted at strengthening local governance and attracting investments.“The student loan programme has opened new opportunities for young Nigerians. Efforts are ongoing to strengthen the naira, improve food production, and reposition the economy for long term growth,” he stated.Danjuma added that the massive turnout at the rally was proof that support for the President cuts across regions, sectors, and religious affiliations.“To those spreading false narratives and attempting to create division, our answer is simple, the people have spoken. Nigerians are choosing continuity over confusion and progress over propaganda,” he declared.Also speaking at the rally on behalf of Nigerian professionals, Dr. Tabuko Kennedy said professionals across critical sectors of the economy were backing the administration because reforms require consistency and continuity to succeed.Representing doctors, lawyers, engineers, academics, entrepreneurs, creatives, artisans, and technocrats, Kennedy argued that abandoning ongoing reforms midway could negatively affect national development.He maintained that President Tinubu had shown commitment toward rebuilding the economy, strengthening infrastructure, improving revenue generation, supporting local industries, and creating opportunities for Nigerian youths.“As professionals, we understand that difficult reforms are never easy at the beginning, but we also know that abandoning reforms halfway can damage national progress,” he said.Kennedy further declared that “there is NO VACANCY in Aso Rock in 2027,” a statement that drew loud cheers from supporters at the venue.The Christian community was represented by Bishop Kola Oyedepo, who described the current phase of Nigeria’s development as a period requiring patience, sacrifice, wisdom, and collective responsibility.The cleric noted that leadership often demands difficult decisions and urged Nigerians not to allow bitterness, division, or destructive politics to derail ongoing efforts aimed at repositioning the country.According to him, reforms initiated under President Tinubu, including economic restructuring, infrastructure development, educational support through student loans, and efforts to improve local refining capacity, were necessary foundations for a stronger Nigeria.“Every wise builder must first lay a solid foundation. Nigeria today is in the process of rebuilding and restructuring its foundation for a stronger future,” the bishop stated.He urged Nigerians to continue praying for the country and its leaders while reiterating support for continuity in governance.“There is NO VACANCY in Aso Rock in 2027,” he added.Similarly, Islamic cleric Sheik Abubakar Mustapha called for patience, peace, unity, and support for national development efforts.The Imam acknowledged the economic and social challenges facing the country, but stressed that meaningful reforms require time, perseverance, and courageous leadership.He commended the administration’s focus on infrastructure, education support initiatives, governance reforms, and local refining projects aimed at strengthening national productivity.“We must not allow division, hatred, or politics of bitterness to weaken our country. Instead, we must support unity, peaceful coexistence, and responsible leadership,” he said.Mustapha also aligned with the position of the organisers, insisting that Nigerians who desire stability and sustained development understand that “there is NO VACANCY in Aso Rock in 2027.”Observers described the rally as one of the largest political mobilisation efforts witnessed in Abuja in recent months, with participants carrying banners, placards, and campaign materials bearing inscriptions such as “20 Million Nigerians Support Tinubu,” “Continuity for National Development,” and “One Voice, One Vision, One Nigeria.”The rally ended peacefully with prayers for national unity, economic recovery, and sustained democratic governance in Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.