Connect with us

Sports

Gov. Obiano budgets N1bn for sports in 2021

Published

on

Gov. Willie Obiano of Anambra has earmarked N995 million for capital projects and recurrent expenditure in the sports sector during the 2021 fiscal year as against the 2020 which was N1.165 billion but was later reviewed to N485 million.

A breakdown of the budget shows that Awka Township Stadium will gulp N400 million, while the construction of zonal sports stadia at Otuocha, Ekwulobia and Ogidi takes N100 million.

The breakdown also showed that it will cost N150 million to form the state-owned male and female football clubs from outlay, while the development of community playgrounds and school sports would get N100 million and N60 million respectively.

Other projects and their estimated values are sports equipment, N30 million, National Sports Festival N35 million and Walk for Life N30 million.

It also indicated that N20 million will be spent on capacity building for sports activities, while N20 million goes to grants to sports bodies and associations.

The rest are sports competitions for local governments, schools and town unions N20 million, furniture and equipment N10 million, sports subvention across the state N15 million and Planning Research Statistics N5 million.

Our correspondent reports that Obiano proposed N143. 65 billion as the state’s budget for the 2021 fiscal year in Anambra.

Speaking on the budget, Tony Oli, Chairman of Anambra Sports Development Commission(ASDC), said one of the projects, Awka Township Stadium, would be delivered before the end of December.

Oli said the pitch, grandstand, tartan tracks and every necessary facilities would be put in place, while next year, expansion works would continue on facilities for others games, including indoor sports.

He said the target was to build zonal games centres in Otuocha, Ekwulobia and Ogidi to take care of the sports facility needs of the people in the areas.

“Awka Township Stadium is in the budget last year and it is there again this year, the appearance this year is for the completion of the project. Work is going on steadily and I am always there to inspect the progress of the project.

“His Excellency has mandated during one of his visits that the project be delivered this year, we are working toward that and I want to assure the people that an inaugural football match will be played there on Dec. 28.

“Ekwulobia has been awarded and Otuocha has taken off. We are trying to stop the encroachment going on at the proposed land for Ogidi Stadium project so that work can effectively take off,” he said.

Oli said the state male and females football teams would no longer be for competitions but for national leagues with independent management team and official grants.

The commission’s chairman scored Anambra high in sports activities but rued the impact of COVID-19 which affected the sports calendar negatively.

Sports

Transfer: Gabriel Jesus Could Leave Arsenal as Napoli Show Interest

Published

on

Arsenal striker Gabriel Jesus could leave the club this summer, with Italian side Napoli reportedly interested in signing the Brazilian forward.

According to Sky Italia, Napoli’s new manager, Massimiliano Allegri, is a long-term admirer of Jesus and is keen to explore the possibility of bringing him to Serie A.

Jesus and Allegri share the same agent, Giovanni Branchini, who was reportedly spotted at Napoli’s pre-season training camp in Castel di Sangro on Friday.

A meeting could reportedly take place to discuss a potential move for the Arsenal forward.

Napoli’s interest could depend on their ability to offload one of their existing strikers. The club would reportedly need to find new destinations for Lorenzo Lucca, who spent last season on loan at Nottingham Forest, or Romelu Lukaku before making a move for Jesus.

Arsenal are reportedly willing to consider offers of around £18 million for the 29-year-old, who has entered the final year of his contract with the Gunners.

Jesus joined Arsenal from Manchester City in 2022 and could now be heading for a new challenge in Italy if Napoli’s interest develops into a formal transfer.

Continue Reading

Sports

Transfer: Liverpool Agree Loan Deal for Barcelona Defender Araujo

Published

on

Liverpool have reportedly reached an agreement with Barcelona to sign Uruguay international Ronald Araujo on loan.

According to Sky Sports, the deal could be completed this weekend, with the 27-year-old defender set to move to Anfield on a straight loan arrangement.

Araujo renewed his Barcelona contract last year, extending his stay at the Catalan club until 2031.

However, the defender endured a difficult campaign last season and was subsequently granted an extended leave of absence from the team.

The proposed move to Liverpool would give Araujo an opportunity to revive his career in a new league and country.

The Uruguay international joined Barcelona from Uruguayan club Boston River in 2018 before making his first-team breakthrough a year later.

Continue Reading

Sports

LaLiga: Mourinho Introduces Four New Rules at Real Madrid

Published

on

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho has reportedly introduced a series of new rules at the club after identifying what he considered bad habits within the dressing room.

Mourinho returned to the Spanish giants for a second spell this summer and has already begun implementing changes to improve discipline and professionalism within the squad, according to AS.

One of the new measures concerns players’ diets. The Portuguese manager has reportedly ended the freedom for players to eat whatever they choose, with the club’s nutritionist now responsible for overseeing their meals.

Under the new system, menus will be carefully structured and determined according to the nutritional needs of the players.

Mourinho has also introduced a disciplinary measure for players who arrive late to training. Such players will reportedly be required to undergo individual gym sessions.

Another rule concerns injury rehabilitation. Players recovering from injuries will now be expected to complete their rehabilitation at the club’s training ground under the supervision of Real Madrid’s medical and fitness staff rather than working independently with external personnel.

The changes are part of Mourinho’s reported efforts to establish greater discipline and control within the Real Madrid squad following his return to the club.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.