Connect with us

Uncategorized

Kano Governor Urged to Reinstate Former Transport Commissioner Amid Bail‑Surety Row

Published

on


Civil‑society groups and a prominent human‑rights lawyer on Thursday launched a coordinated appeal to Kano State Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf, asking him to persuade former Transport Commissioner Hon. Ibrahim Namadi to withdraw his resignation and restore him to his former post.

The plea follows Namadi’s decision to step down after intense public criticism over his role as surety for a ₦3 million bail granted to Sulaiman Aminu Danwawu, a defendant in a criminal case. In a detailed letter to Governor Yusuf, Barrister Aliyu Mohammed of the Civil Society Coalition set out the legal and factual background of the incident.

“Hon. Namadi acted within the full bounds of the law and in good faith,” the letter states. “Standing as a surety is a statutory process intended to safeguard a defendant’s right to liberty while ensuring his attendance in court.”

Mohammed clarified that a ₦5 million sum mentioned in some media reports was a separate requirement placed on the defendant, not on the surety. He added that Danwawu has been attending his trial as ordered, thereby fulfilling the purpose of the suretyship, and that Namadi has since withdrawn from the bond.

An Abuja‑based legal luminary Samuel Adanu, who has been following the matter, told our correspondent that the former commissioner has not committed any crime.

“Acting as a surety for a suspect is a standard practice in our judiciary, where bail conditions may include the involvement of civil servants at various levels,” Adanu said. “I am appealing to the former commissioner and the state governor to resolve this matter in the interest of the state.”

Adanu warned that the issue had been “politicised to a level which the governor should understand that there are fifth‑columnists in his government who may be working for the opposition.”

A committee set up by the state government has cleared Namadi of any financial impropriety.

“The committee found no evidence of wrongdoing or personal gain on the part of Hon. Namadi, reinforcing the legal presumption that his actions were lawful.”said a source close to the governor who pleaded anonymity.

Beyond the bail controversy, the appeal highlighted Namadi’s broader contributions to the state. As Transport Commissioner, he oversaw reforms that improved traffic management, streamlined licensing procedures and strengthened coordination among stakeholders. His tenure, the letter says, was marked by “efficiency, reform and visible progress in transport regulation.”

Namadi has also been active in youth empowerment, providing capital and mentorship to young entrepreneurs. According to Mohammed, these initiatives have helped reduce youth vulnerability to crime.

Politically, Namadi is described as a key figure within the ruling New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP). He is said to have played a role in the party’s cohesion and governance agenda. His resignation, the appeal argues, was a self‑sacrificing act intended to spare the administration unnecessary distraction.

“The resignation, though difficult, demonstrates deep respect for leadership, loyalty to the state, and an uncommon sense of accountability,” the appeal reads. “It sets a commendable example of integrity and restraint in public service; qualities that should be recognized and encouraged, not punished.”

The human‑rights lawyer’s appeal calls for Namadi’s reinstatement either to his former post or to another capacity where his experience can benefit the state.
“Reinstating Hon. Namadi would be an act of fairness and moral strength, reaffirming Governor Yusuf’s reputation as a leader guided by justice, truth, and magnanimity,” the letter concludes.

Governor Yusuf’s office has not yet issued a formal response to the request. As the matter continues to generate public discussion, stakeholders await clarification on whether Namadi will be reappointed and what steps the administration will take to address broader concerns about due process and political accountability in Kano State.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Kwara: Ifelodun Travellers Transport System Revived

Published

on

  • As Council Signs MoU With P&A Contract Ltd

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin

The Ifelodun local Government, under the leadership of Hadji Abdulrasheed Femi Yusuf, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with P & A Contract Limited for the construction of a modern motor park in Amoyo, as the Council moves to revive the Ifelodun Travellers transport system and improve transportation within the Local Government.

Speaking during the MoU signing ceremony at the Council s Contact Office in Amoyo, the Chairman explained that the decision to construct the motor park was driven by the need for Ifelodun Local Government to establish its own transport identity, intended to ease people’s transportation problem.

He recalled that residents travelling to and from Ifelodun had, over the years, relied on transport facilities at Offa Garage and Maraba in Ilorin, stressing the need to create a dedicated transport hub that would serve the people of the Local Government.

“At some point in the history of Ifelodun Local Government, we had Ifelodun Travellers, which does not exist anymore. I don’t think there is anything wrong with bringing that identity back to the limelight. Now, we want to add value to that identity,” the Chairman said.

He added that the Council was also working with relevant stakeholders to bring in 10 units of Korope buses, which would commence operations as soon as possible.

“We are working with the NURTW, Kwara State Chapter, for guidance and to ensure that the operation runs smoothly,” he added.

The Supervisory Councillor for Works and Infrastructure Development, Mrs. Kolo Rebecca, explained that the proposed park would feature several amenities, including a garage, warehouse, 100-unit shopping complex, parking spaces and general toilets.

She said the facilities were designed to boost economic activities, improve the image of the Local Government and provide a more convenient transportation system for residents.

According to her, the initiative is also in line with the efforts of the Kwara State Governor, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, to take governance and development directly to the grassroots.

The contractor, Mallam Jimoh Toheeb Abolore, assured the Local Government of the prompt execution of the project, promising that the construction would meet the required standards and contribute positively to the image and development of Ifelodun Local Government.

Those in attendance included the Vice Chairman, Hon. Nike Ajibola; Secretary to the Local Government, Dr. Kamil Akorede; DPM, Mallam Ayinde Salman; LGT, Mallam Usman Waheed; Chief of Staff to the Chairman, Chief Ademola Zubair; Head of Works, Engr. Awodi Muhammad; Land officer, Tola Kadir and other Special Assistants.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Lawyer Demands Release of Detained Kano Blogger, Maryam Shehu

Published

on

By Hassan Agboola

A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza Nuhu Dantani, has called for the immediate release of Kano-based blogger, Maryam Shehu, who he said has been in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for almost 30 days.

Dantani, in a statement on Monday, said the prolonged detention of Shehu was becoming difficult to reconcile with the rule of law and provisions of the 1999 Constitution, particularly her fundamental right to personal liberty.
He questioned why Shehu should remain in detention for nearly 30 days, particularly over an offence he described as ordinarily bailable.

“How on earth can a person be detained for almost 30 days and counting, particularly in relation to an offence that is ordinarily bailable, without meaningful consideration of her liberty and constitutional rights?” he asked.
Dantani said the EFCC’s powers to investigate did not give the commission the right to detain a suspect indefinitely, punish her before trial or disregard her fundamental rights.

He also criticised the alleged practice of photographing persons in EFCC custody and publishing their images online while they remain presumed innocent.
Citing Section 36(5) of the Constitution, Dantani said the law guarantees the presumption of innocence until a suspect is proven guilty by a competent court.

He warned that publicly portraying suspects as criminals before trial could amount to subjecting them to public punishment and humiliation.
“The EFCC is a law-enforcement institution. It must therefore be the first institution to demonstrate obedience to law. It cannot demand respect for law from citizens while appearing to disregard constitutional safeguards itself,” he said.

Dantani urged the commission to either charge Shehu before a competent court if it has credible evidence against her or release her immediately
.
“We call on EFCC to respect the Constitution, respect presumption of innocence and respect fundamental right to personal liberty. Investigation is not conviction. Detention is not punishment. And an allegation is not guilt,” he said.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Comment on Lionel Messi’s Tribute to His Dad Becomes Most-Liked Instagram Comment

Published

on

By Fabian Apechihin

Cristiano Ronaldo’s heartfelt message to Lionel Messi following the death of his father, Jorge Messi, has reportedly become the most-liked comment in Instagram history.

Jorge Messi died on August 7 in Rosario, Argentina, aged 68. Five days later, Messi paid tribute to his late father in an emotional Instagram post featuring a photo of the pair.

In the post, Messi wrote, “Te amo, pa” — meaning “I love you, Dad” — alongside a lengthy tribute reflecting on his father’s influence and the pain of losing him.

Among the many reactions from fans, celebrities and fellow footballers was a message from Ronaldo.

“Un abrazo enorme para ti y los tuyos en estos duros momentos, Leo. Mucha fuerza,” Ronaldo wrote, which translates to: “A huge hug to you and yours in these tough times, Leo. Much strength.”

Ronaldo’s comment reportedly attracted more than 6.86 million likes and over 86,000 comments, making it the most-liked comment on Instagram.

The previous record was also held by Ronaldo, whose comment on Kylian Mbappé’s announcement of his move to Real Madrid reportedly received more than five million likes.

Other football stars also expressed their condolences to Messi. Neymar Jr.’s message, translated as “Much strength for you and your family. Big hug,” reportedly received more than 1.6 million likes, while David Beckham’s comment expressing support for Messi and his family attracted more than 300,000 likes.

In his tribute, Messi described his father’s death as difficult to comprehend, saying he struggled to accept that he would no longer see or speak with him.

Messi also recalled how his father had encouraged him to play at the 2026 World Cup despite his deteriorating health. He said his father had hoped to watch him compete and had planned to travel if his condition improved.

According to Messi, he had promised his father that Argentina would reach the final so he could be there. Although Argentina reached the final, his father was unable to attend.

Reflecting on the loss, Messi said he had wanted to win the tournament and bring the trophy to his father but ultimately struggled physically during the competition.

The emotional tribute highlighted the close bond between Messi and his father and the profound impact of his loss on the football superstar.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.