Connect with us

News

Kwara will partner FG, relevant agencies to drive development, says deputy gov

Published

on

By Steve Oni, Ilorin

Kwara State government has assured that it will continue to partner the Federal Government and the World Bank so as to ensure that poor communities in the state maximally benefit from the Community and Social Development Project (CSDP) intervention programme.

Deputy Governor Kayode Alabi, who gave the assurance on Monday in Ilorin while declaring open a three day 2019 Second Quarter Review Meeting of the Management team of the 30 participating States in the Project, said Kwara state would meet its contractual obligations, especially the prompt payment of the required counterpart contributions.

“The achievements of CSDP in Kwara State are overwhelming and we thank God for the initiative. This Government will therefore do everything possible to see to the continuation of the pro poor project in the State”, he said, adding that the state government, through the Kwara State Community and Social Development Agency, has so far drawn a total sum of N1.3 billion with over N841m disbursed to communities since 2016 to date.

Acknowledging that 249 micro projects have so far been completed and in use while 49 are ongoing across the poverty focal local governments of the state, the deputy governor said the administration would not relent in meeting the yearnings and aspirations of the people of the state.

Also speaking, the National Coordinator of National Social Safety Net Coordinating Unit, Apera Iorwa represented by Mohammed Dikko Bala admonished the States to provide conducive environment for the success of the project in their states.

Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Planning and Economic Development, Alhaji Tayo Oyelowo, who said the project has been of immense benefit to the State, urged States to address key issues such as sustainability and ownership on the part of communities.

In his welcome address, the Project National Coordinator, Dr. Abdulkarim Obaje commended the Kwara State government for its giant strides in various fields, while assuring the state of Federal Government’s continued support to the state government’s effort to make life bearable for the people.

Dr. Obaje called on the 30 participating States to be alive to their obligations in order to benefit fully from the project.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu Reaffirms Nigeria’s Commitment to One-China Principle

Published

on

By

Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu, Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on China–Nigeria Parliamentary Relations, has restated Nigeria’s unwavering adherence to the One-China Principle, cautioning politicians against actions that could undermine the country’s diplomatic position on Taiwan.

Yakubu stressed that Nigeria’s stance on the Taiwan question is “clear, consistent, and firmly rooted in international law, diplomatic principles, and bilateral agreements with the People’s Republic of China.” He underscored that since 1971, Nigeria has recognized the government of the People’s Republic of China as the sole legal authority representing the whole of China, with Taiwan regarded as an inalienable part of its territory.

“Nigeria opposes any form of ‘Taiwan Independence’ or interference in the internal affairs of China and firmly supports all efforts made by the Chinese government to achieve national reunification,” Yakubu declared.

He warned that any official or unofficial gesture suggesting support for separatist tendencies or Taiwan independence activities would contradict Nigeria’s established foreign policy and risk weakening the strong diplomatic ties between Abuja and Beijing.

Yakubu highlighted China’s role as a dependable strategic partner to Nigeria, particularly in infrastructure development, trade, investment, technology transfer, and human capacity building. He noted that bilateral trade between the two nations exceeded $28 billion in 2025, a 30.2 percent increase from the previous year, with China’s exports to Nigeria reaching $24.9 billion, driven by demand for machinery, electronics, and industrial inputs.

The lawmaker urged members of the National Assembly, political leaders, and public officials to exercise caution in their engagements, stressing the importance of preserving Nigeria’s foreign policy integrity. He further assured that the House Committee on China–Nigeria Relations remains committed to strengthening parliamentary cooperation and advancing the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between both countries.

Yakubu concluded by calling on Nigerians to support policies that reinforce the nation’s diplomatic interests, international credibility, and mutually beneficial cooperation with China.

Continue Reading

News

Centre, CSOs Decry Use of Substandard Building Materials, Building Collapse

Published

on

By

Center for Peace, Transparency and Accountability (CPTA) and coalition of over 50 civil society organizations have raised concerns over growing activities of unqualified contractors, the circulation of substandard building materials, corruption in procurement processes, and the disregard for approved construction standards.

According to the coalition, the practices have continued to weaken public safety and reduce confidence in national infrastructure systems.

Executive Director of CPTA Comrade Patrick Ogheneyero Jr. stated this yesterday in Abuja, during NBRRI’s engagement with CSO’s on building standard compliance in Abuja.

He said the engagement is both timely and necessary, saying “Across Nigeria, recurring cases of building collapse, substandard construction, weak regulatory compliance, and poor enforcement continue to threaten lives, investments, and public confidence.”

“We believe this engagement should lead to practical outcomes, including stronger collaboration among NBRRI, regulatory agencies, professional bodies, and anti-corruption institutions to ensure strict compliance with building standards and professional regulations,” he said.

He said every failed structure represents more than an engineering failure, adding that it reflects gaps in oversight, accountability, regulation, and professional ethics.

He said these challenges undermine the safety and stability of our communities.

“Infrastructure integrity remains directly connected to economic growth, urban development, national security, and public safety. Roads, bridges, schools, hospitals, and housing projects are not merely physical assets; they are symbols of governance, credibility, and national progress.

“In this regard, the role of NBRRI remains critical. As Nigeria’s leading research institution in building and road development, the Institute plays a strategic role in promoting standards, innovation, indigenous technologies, and quality assurance within the construction sector,” he said.

Comrade Ogheneyero while commending NBRRI for the engagement however, noted that

research and standards alone cannot deliver results without effective implementation and enforcement, adding that Civil society organizations therefore have an important responsibility to support transparency, accountability, and public awareness in the construction and infrastructure sectors.

“This initiative reflects openness, professionalism, and commitment to national development. Sustainable progress can only be achieved when public institutions and citizens work together in trust and partnership,” he said.

He called for greater public awareness on the dangers of poor construction practices and uncertified materials, urging the government to invest more in local research, innovation, and affordable indigenous building technologies developed to address Nigeria’s environmental and developmental realities.

Continue Reading

News

Protest: Coalition to Occupy NNPCL, NMDPRA, NASS Over Continued Fuel Imports

Published

on

By

Irked by the continued importation of fuel into Nigeria despite the operation of local refineries, a coalition of civil society and oil sector groups has announced a three-day peaceful protest.

The development was made known, in a statement was jointly signed by the trio of Comrade Adebayo Ogunseye for the Nigeria Civil Society Organisations Situation Room; Engr. Musa Ibrahim Danjuma for the Oil and Gas Workers Advancement Network; and Barrister Kingsley Chinedu Okafor for the National Coalition of Oil Assets Protection and Development, noting that the nationwide mobilisation became necessary following the disturbing and unpatriotic continuation of fuel import licences despite the existence and full operation of the world class Dangote Refinery and other local refining capacities in Nigeria.

The groups disclosed that the protest, tagged Occupy NNPCL, NMDPRA and National Assembly, will hold from Monday, May 18 to Wednesday, May 20, 2026, at the headquarters of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority, and the National Assembly of Nigeria in Abuja.

They emphasized that the action was prompted by the continued issuance of fuel import licences despite the availability of local refining capacity, including the Dangote Refinery.

“This nationwide mobilisation has become necessary following the disturbing continuation of fuel import licences despite the existence and full operation of local refining capacity in Nigeria,” the statement said.

The groups also referenced reports that the Dangote Refinery has instituted fresh legal action challenging the renewal of import licences by industry regulators, arguing that such approvals undermine local refining and violate existing laws.
They accused unnamed interests of frustrating Nigeria’s drive for energy security, job creation and economic independence.

“It is unacceptable that Nigeria still spends enormous resources importing refined petroleum products while local investors face institutional bottlenecks,” the statement said.

The coalition listed six demands, including the immediate suspension of fuel import licences where domestic production capacity exists, public disclosure of licence holders, and a National Assembly investigation into alleged sabotage in the downstream petroleum sector.
They also called for a clear national policy mandating the use of locally refined petroleum products before import approvals are considered.

They stressed that the protest is not directed at the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, but at what they described as entrenched interests within the petroleum sector.

“This protest is not against the administration. Some vested interests within the system are undermining the President’s vision for economic recovery and industrial growth,” the groups said.

The statement urged labour unions, youth groups, market associations and other stakeholders to participate in the rally.
“Nigeria must refine what it consumes and protect its economic sovereignty,” the coalition declared.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.