News
Local contractors to fix Kwara schools, hospitals’ projects: AbdulRazaq
• Orders Kaiama water project fixed in one month
• State may drag contractors to anti-graft agency over abandoned roads
By Steve Oni, Ilorin
Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has said local communities would have the option of nominating trusted indigenous contractors to fix their schools and hospitals while government funds the projects.
The contractors so nominated would be picked only after going through the government’s procurement processes as spelt out under the law.
AbdulRazaq said government has recently retooled the 2019 budget to focus on rebuilding basic infrastructure such as township roads, schools, hospitals and toilets to tackle the menace of open defecation.
“For each community where we want to rebuild the schools or hospitals, we want to use the local contractors from those communities, so that we have trickle down effects and regenerate the economy by investing in the economy,” AbdulRazaq said in Kaiama town late Tuesday on a tour of public facilities in the northern senatorial district.
He visited communities like Gwaria, a major hub for yam flour production in Nigeria; Junga Aboki; and Kaiama town — all in Kaiama local government area of the state.
“When we got in we realised that there are big issues with our roads, hospitals and schools, they are practically down, and I am here to make sure I understand in full the problems with all the hospitals and schools,” he said.
“They all have peculiar problems….We have seen the different challenges in different hospitals and schools and we are going to make sure that the right people are used in order to reposition the hospitals and the schools.”
The governor said while his campaign thrust of development and change remain valid, he is constantly rejigging the campaign promises to reflect the realities of Kwara he now sees, especially because basic infrastructures for education and health are almost non-existent and must first be put in place before other things.
AbdulRazaq suggested that government would provide the prototypes and the standard of the schools or hospitals to be built while local communities would engage contractors to fix them under strict monitoring — a strategy expected to engender community participation in project execution, empower local contractors, ensure community ownership of public infrastructure, and increase the purchasing power of the people.
He said Kwarans would start seeing more infrastructural development and better government’s presence across the board once the reviewed budget is passed in the coming months.
The governor, meanwhile, has ordered the site engineer handling the Kaiama Water project to fix the facilities within one month or be sacked.
AbdulRazaq handed down the directive when he visited the facilities in Kaiama town, warning that he would always personally keep a tab on projects funded with taxpayers’ money through unscheduled visits.
He said his visit to the town has revealed that claims about Kaiama water projects progressing as scheduled were not true, warning that his personal tour of facilities was meant to know the truth about their exact situation.
The Emir of Kaiama, Alhaji Umar Shehu Mu’azu, had earlier told the governor that the engineer had been sabotaging the project despite getting money from the government and the community.
Mu’azu also urged AbdulRazaq to prioritise roads in the agrarian axis, especially Kishi Kaiama Road, commending him for approving the construction of the Kaiama township road.
The Governor said he has taken up the matter with the Federal Government, adding however that his administration might report the contractor employed by the previous administration to the anti-graft agency for collecting at least N1.1bn to fix a segment of the road without any result.
AbdulRazaq said the action of the contractor was a setback for the road as the Federal Government would not release further funds for the road unless it is satisfied that the one released had been properly utilised.
The Governor said the same scenario had occurred in the Gwanara road in Baruten which led to the eight Assembly dragging the contractor to the EFCC and forcing the contractor back to site.
He also said the administration is discussing the Kosubosu-Kaiama-Bode Sadu road with the Federal government but added that the state might seek alternative funding for the huge project to hasten its construction in the next four years and then apply for refunds.
News
Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu Reaffirms Nigeria’s Commitment to One-China Principle
Hon. Jaafaru Yakubu, Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on China–Nigeria Parliamentary Relations, has restated Nigeria’s unwavering adherence to the One-China Principle, cautioning politicians against actions that could undermine the country’s diplomatic position on Taiwan.
Yakubu stressed that Nigeria’s stance on the Taiwan question is “clear, consistent, and firmly rooted in international law, diplomatic principles, and bilateral agreements with the People’s Republic of China.” He underscored that since 1971, Nigeria has recognized the government of the People’s Republic of China as the sole legal authority representing the whole of China, with Taiwan regarded as an inalienable part of its territory.
“Nigeria opposes any form of ‘Taiwan Independence’ or interference in the internal affairs of China and firmly supports all efforts made by the Chinese government to achieve national reunification,” Yakubu declared.
He warned that any official or unofficial gesture suggesting support for separatist tendencies or Taiwan independence activities would contradict Nigeria’s established foreign policy and risk weakening the strong diplomatic ties between Abuja and Beijing.
Yakubu highlighted China’s role as a dependable strategic partner to Nigeria, particularly in infrastructure development, trade, investment, technology transfer, and human capacity building. He noted that bilateral trade between the two nations exceeded $28 billion in 2025, a 30.2 percent increase from the previous year, with China’s exports to Nigeria reaching $24.9 billion, driven by demand for machinery, electronics, and industrial inputs.
The lawmaker urged members of the National Assembly, political leaders, and public officials to exercise caution in their engagements, stressing the importance of preserving Nigeria’s foreign policy integrity. He further assured that the House Committee on China–Nigeria Relations remains committed to strengthening parliamentary cooperation and advancing the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between both countries.
Yakubu concluded by calling on Nigerians to support policies that reinforce the nation’s diplomatic interests, international credibility, and mutually beneficial cooperation with China.
News
Centre, CSOs Decry Use of Substandard Building Materials, Building Collapse
Center for Peace, Transparency and Accountability (CPTA) and coalition of over 50 civil society organizations have raised concerns over growing activities of unqualified contractors, the circulation of substandard building materials, corruption in procurement processes, and the disregard for approved construction standards.
According to the coalition, the practices have continued to weaken public safety and reduce confidence in national infrastructure systems.
Executive Director of CPTA Comrade Patrick Ogheneyero Jr. stated this yesterday in Abuja, during NBRRI’s engagement with CSO’s on building standard compliance in Abuja.
He said the engagement is both timely and necessary, saying “Across Nigeria, recurring cases of building collapse, substandard construction, weak regulatory compliance, and poor enforcement continue to threaten lives, investments, and public confidence.”
“We believe this engagement should lead to practical outcomes, including stronger collaboration among NBRRI, regulatory agencies, professional bodies, and anti-corruption institutions to ensure strict compliance with building standards and professional regulations,” he said.
He said every failed structure represents more than an engineering failure, adding that it reflects gaps in oversight, accountability, regulation, and professional ethics.
He said these challenges undermine the safety and stability of our communities.
“Infrastructure integrity remains directly connected to economic growth, urban development, national security, and public safety. Roads, bridges, schools, hospitals, and housing projects are not merely physical assets; they are symbols of governance, credibility, and national progress.
“In this regard, the role of NBRRI remains critical. As Nigeria’s leading research institution in building and road development, the Institute plays a strategic role in promoting standards, innovation, indigenous technologies, and quality assurance within the construction sector,” he said.
Comrade Ogheneyero while commending NBRRI for the engagement however, noted that
research and standards alone cannot deliver results without effective implementation and enforcement, adding that Civil society organizations therefore have an important responsibility to support transparency, accountability, and public awareness in the construction and infrastructure sectors.
“This initiative reflects openness, professionalism, and commitment to national development. Sustainable progress can only be achieved when public institutions and citizens work together in trust and partnership,” he said.
He called for greater public awareness on the dangers of poor construction practices and uncertified materials, urging the government to invest more in local research, innovation, and affordable indigenous building technologies developed to address Nigeria’s environmental and developmental realities.
News
Protest: Coalition to Occupy NNPCL, NMDPRA, NASS Over Continued Fuel Imports
Irked by the continued importation of fuel into Nigeria despite the operation of local refineries, a coalition of civil society and oil sector groups has announced a three-day peaceful protest.
The development was made known, in a statement was jointly signed by the trio of Comrade Adebayo Ogunseye for the Nigeria Civil Society Organisations Situation Room; Engr. Musa Ibrahim Danjuma for the Oil and Gas Workers Advancement Network; and Barrister Kingsley Chinedu Okafor for the National Coalition of Oil Assets Protection and Development, noting that the nationwide mobilisation became necessary following the disturbing and unpatriotic continuation of fuel import licences despite the existence and full operation of the world class Dangote Refinery and other local refining capacities in Nigeria.
The groups disclosed that the protest, tagged Occupy NNPCL, NMDPRA and National Assembly, will hold from Monday, May 18 to Wednesday, May 20, 2026, at the headquarters of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority, and the National Assembly of Nigeria in Abuja.
They emphasized that the action was prompted by the continued issuance of fuel import licences despite the availability of local refining capacity, including the Dangote Refinery.
“This nationwide mobilisation has become necessary following the disturbing continuation of fuel import licences despite the existence and full operation of local refining capacity in Nigeria,” the statement said.
The groups also referenced reports that the Dangote Refinery has instituted fresh legal action challenging the renewal of import licences by industry regulators, arguing that such approvals undermine local refining and violate existing laws.
They accused unnamed interests of frustrating Nigeria’s drive for energy security, job creation and economic independence.
“It is unacceptable that Nigeria still spends enormous resources importing refined petroleum products while local investors face institutional bottlenecks,” the statement said.
The coalition listed six demands, including the immediate suspension of fuel import licences where domestic production capacity exists, public disclosure of licence holders, and a National Assembly investigation into alleged sabotage in the downstream petroleum sector.
They also called for a clear national policy mandating the use of locally refined petroleum products before import approvals are considered.
They stressed that the protest is not directed at the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, but at what they described as entrenched interests within the petroleum sector.
“This protest is not against the administration. Some vested interests within the system are undermining the President’s vision for economic recovery and industrial growth,” the groups said.
The statement urged labour unions, youth groups, market associations and other stakeholders to participate in the rally.
“Nigeria must refine what it consumes and protect its economic sovereignty,” the coalition declared.
-
Uncategorized5 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines10 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News12 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology5 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
