Connect with us

Uncategorized

Nigerian government must encourage fashion industry – Obua

Published

on

By Ere-ebi Imisi

Fashion aficionado Dr Merit Gordon Obua has called on government at all levels  to support and encourage the fashion industry noting that the branding benefit is so massive.

Obua who is also a patron of the World Fashion Organisation noted that the industry is a bright spot that has the capacity of creating employment for the teeming unemployed Nigerian youths.

According to her fashion is an industry that has been confirmed to be less tedious and requires a short period to master and become an employer of labour, hence the need for government to harness this industry.

Obua also noted that the government has a major role to play in supporting the fashion industry adding that she has opened up conversations with the World fashion designers for Nigeria to host 2020 edition of the show.

‘‘There are certain industries which earnestly require government support and funding because through government involvement it will be easy to grow and develop it to international standard. The fashion industry is one of such which the government should begin to invest massively in.

‘‘For we on our own part, I have opened up discussion last month with World fashion designers proposing for Nigeria to host over 100 countries by 2020.

‘‘However for Nigeria to project its self on the international run way we are expected to produce about 2000 styles because each designer will be required to produce about 20 different out fits, we expect that our international audience are exposed to about 2000 styles within the period of 1 week.

‘‘This will naturally involve a lot of funding and human capacity and we are optimistic that we will have a great show’’ she explained.

Obua who is a lover for fashion and her works earned her a converted position as patron of the World Fashion Organisation called for more government funding and support for the fashion industry stressing that the economy has the tendency to grow through fashion.

‘‘We cannot do it on our own, we seek government support and participation. We believe that we can expose young people to the business aspect of the fashion industry because it is very lucrative.

‘‘The last administration pumped money into the entertainment industry now our artists are enjoying collaborations with their international counterparts.

‘‘We plead with government to assist our designers who have built themselves to some level, support what these young people are doing and pump in money into the fashion industry’’ she said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Rights Activist Urges Tinubu, APC to Release El-Rufai

Published

on

By Hassan Agboola

A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza N. Dantani, has called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to immediately and unconditionally release former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.
Dantani, in a statement on Sunday, said there was a strong perception that El-Rufai’s continued detention was driven not only by the allegations against him but also by political considerations and fears that he could become an obstacle to the APC’s victory in the 2027 elections.
He urged the Federal Government to desist from using intimidation, persecution or state institutions against political opponents, arguing that such measures could not guarantee electoral victory.
Dantani cited the recent governorship election in Osun State as an example, saying political pressure and rivalry did not prevent Governor Ademola Adeleke from emerging victorious.
“Look at Osun State. Despite the political rivalry, the freezing of state accounts and the enormous political pressure surrounding the election, Governor Ademola Adeleke still emerged victorious. That should tell us something: the people ultimately decide,” he said.
The activist said the number of charges filed against a political opponent, the number of courts involved or the length of detention could not guarantee electoral success.
He urged President Tinubu and the APC to demonstrate confidence in their political strength by allowing opponents to participate freely in the political process.
“If you genuinely believe in your political strength and the support of the Nigerian people, then allow your opponents to participate freely in the political process,” he said.
Dantani called for El-Rufai’s release, urging the former governor to return home and participate in the political process ahead of the 2027 general elections.
“Let him play his politics, and let the people decide in 2027,” he said.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Kwara Customs Hailed For A Clean Operational Record

Published

on

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin

The Nigeria Customs Service, Kwara Area Command, has received commendation from the Assistant Comptroller-General of Customs and Zonal Coordinator for Zone ‘B’, Nsikan Patrick Umoh, for maintaining a clean operational record and upholding professionalism in the discharge of its duties.

ACG Umoh gave the commendation during an oversight visit to the Command’s headquarters in Ilorin as part of her tour of operational commands within the zone.

Addressing officers and men of the Command, Umoh was excited that since she assumed office, her headquarters had not received any adverse report against the Kwara Area Command.

She said the record was a reflection of the discipline, integrity and professionalism demonstrated by personnel in their daily operations.

“I want to commend the leadership and personnel of the Kwara Area Command for their exemplary conduct, discipline and dedication to duty,” she said.

The Customs boss, who delivered the goodwill message of the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, MFR, urged officers to maintain high standards of professionalism both on and off duty.

She warned personnel against involvement in illicit drugs, sharp practices and other activities capable of tarnishing the image of the Service.

Umoh also called on officers to strengthen unity and teamwork, describing the Service as one family working towards a common goal. She assured them of the continued support of the zonal and Service headquarters.

Earlier, the Acting Area Controller of the Command, Deputy Comptroller Najeem Akanmu Ogundeyi, highlighted the major achievements, operational milestones and administrative successes recorded under his leadership.

The visit also featured an interactive session between the Zonal Coordinator and major trade stakeholders, including representatives of freight forwarding associations, the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), and major excise factories such as ITC and SANICA.

During the engagement, Umoh commended the existing relationship between the Command and the business community, while responding to concerns surrounding cargo clearance procedures, examination timelines and regional trade competitiveness.

The stakeholders also received clarifications on issues affecting their operations, with the Customs official assuring them of the Service’s commitment to facilitating legitimate trade.

The oversight visit ended with an inspection of the Command’s administrative offices, warehouse and residential barracks.

Umoh expressed satisfaction with the level of orderliness, environmental cleanliness and discipline observed across the facilities.

The Command said the visit further reinforced its commitment to professionalism, trade facilitation and effective service delivery in Kwara State.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

OUR LAND IS NOT FOR SALE, CATHOLIC PRIESTS TELL FG

Published

on

By our Correspondent

The Nigeria Catholic Diocesan Priests Association (NCDPA), Makurdi Diocese, has strongly rejected the decision of the Federal Government to include Benue State in the pilot implementation of its National Ranching Policy.

The association said it was particularly concerned that Benue State, which it described as an already bleeding and targeted state, was included in the policy, which is initially kicking off at the Wase Grazing Reserve in Plateau State.
In a statement signed by its Chairman, Rev. Fr. Joseph Terfa Beba, the NCDPA expressed concern over what it described as the apparent exclusion of the Benue State Government from the decision-making and approval process.
The association said had the elected leadership of Benue State been genuinely consulted, it believed the state government would not have consented to any arrangement capable of undermining the rights, dignity, security and ancestral heritage of its people.
“We cannot accept a policy imposed upon a people whose communities have suffered killings, displacement, destruction and prolonged insecurity,” the association said.
It warned that ranching must not become a disguised instrument for land grabbing, forced occupation or the permanent displacement of indigenous communities.
The priests also cited the position of the Catholic Bishop of Makurdi Diocese, Bishop Wilfred Chikpa Anagbe, CMF, saying he had “consistently and courageously spoken against this injustice, culpable silence and every agenda that threatens the ancestral lands of our people.”
The association called on the Federal Government to respect the constitutional rights of the people of Benue State and engage the state government, traditional rulers and community leaders transparently before proceeding with the policy.
It also urged the government to ensure that displaced persons are enabled to return safely and take possession of their ancestral lands before any discussions concerning already existing designated ranching structures in parts of the state and the country.
The NCDPA maintained that Benue was predominantly an agrarian state and not a pastoralist society, arguing that ranching was therefore not viable in the state.
“Ranching in Benue State is therefore NOT VIABLE, and WE REJECT THIS PROJECT IDEA WITH ALL LEGAL AND SPIRITUAL RESOURCES,” the priests declared.
The association said there was no land in Benue for commercial ranching, stressing that ancestral homes should not be treated as bargaining chips.
“Our land is not for sale and has never been on sale. There is no land in Benue State for commercial ranching. Our ancestral homes are not bargaining chips.
“Our people must return home. Benue must not be enslaved through policy. There will be no surrender of our ancestral heritage in whatever form or guise being proposed or presented,” it said.
The association urged the Federal Government to address the concerns of Benue communities and prioritise the safe return of displaced persons before implementing any ranching arrangement in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.