Connect with us

Sports

Para-Athletes, Coach commend Sports Minister over palliatives

Published

on

A National Para-Powerlifting Team Coach, Feyisetan Are and some other para-athletes on Monday commended the Minister of Youths and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, over the palliatives to disabled athletes.

The medal winning coach, in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) said that the palliatives had come as a huge relief to the affected athletes as a result of COVID-19 pandemic lockdown.

Are said that the effect of the COVID-19 had been sore to the disabled athletes, adding that the affected athletes needed more support to complement the minister’s gesture.

“”It has been a very tough call for our members during the COVID-19 lockdown to the extent that many are now doing menial jobs to stay alive, with this, it has been with little income.

“”We have to thank our honourable minister of Youths and Sports Development for deeming it fit to come to our aid. It’s such a good gesture that he recognises us.

“I believe that the minister has set a template for others to follow because government cannot do it alone; others should also support what Dare has done for us.

“”For example, if an able bodied man gets N10,000 as palliative, then a disable person should get double, like N20,000 because of his condition. An able bodied can struggle to fend for himself, but we cannot.

“”Our only means of livelihood is sport which is not in place again because of COVID-19, we need more help from well-meaning Nigerians,” he said.

Also, Nigeria’s and five-times Paralympian, with three Gold and two Silver, Lucy Ejike, commended Dare for the gesture, adding that the palliatives had come at the right time.

“”A special thanks to the minister for his kind gesture, especially the money given to us, it has gone a long way in helping and motivating us.

“I received my palliative from the minister and I also get a promise of more.

“My colleagues also got theirs as well. This will help because the stipends we are collecting before had ceased because of the lockdown,” she said.

Another Para-athlete, a Gold medalist in Powerlifting at Rio 2016, Kehinde Paul, said that the palliatives coming from the Sport’s minister was because of his fatherly role to the disabled athletes.

“”The sports minister has played a fatherly role by coming to our aid in this tough times because we have not been active for a while.

“I have been trying my best to train in my local gym to keep fit, but I must commend the minister, he has really tried for the para-athletes and the physically-challenged. We got money to buy foodstuffs.

“The money will help us and for upkeep of our families and I believe that we will still have more from the minister, it’s a gesture that will remain in our memories,” he said. (NAN)

Sports

Transfer: Gabriel Jesus Could Leave Arsenal as Napoli Show Interest

Published

on

Arsenal striker Gabriel Jesus could leave the club this summer, with Italian side Napoli reportedly interested in signing the Brazilian forward.

According to Sky Italia, Napoli’s new manager, Massimiliano Allegri, is a long-term admirer of Jesus and is keen to explore the possibility of bringing him to Serie A.

Jesus and Allegri share the same agent, Giovanni Branchini, who was reportedly spotted at Napoli’s pre-season training camp in Castel di Sangro on Friday.

A meeting could reportedly take place to discuss a potential move for the Arsenal forward.

Napoli’s interest could depend on their ability to offload one of their existing strikers. The club would reportedly need to find new destinations for Lorenzo Lucca, who spent last season on loan at Nottingham Forest, or Romelu Lukaku before making a move for Jesus.

Arsenal are reportedly willing to consider offers of around £18 million for the 29-year-old, who has entered the final year of his contract with the Gunners.

Jesus joined Arsenal from Manchester City in 2022 and could now be heading for a new challenge in Italy if Napoli’s interest develops into a formal transfer.

Continue Reading

Sports

Transfer: Liverpool Agree Loan Deal for Barcelona Defender Araujo

Published

on

Liverpool have reportedly reached an agreement with Barcelona to sign Uruguay international Ronald Araujo on loan.

According to Sky Sports, the deal could be completed this weekend, with the 27-year-old defender set to move to Anfield on a straight loan arrangement.

Araujo renewed his Barcelona contract last year, extending his stay at the Catalan club until 2031.

However, the defender endured a difficult campaign last season and was subsequently granted an extended leave of absence from the team.

The proposed move to Liverpool would give Araujo an opportunity to revive his career in a new league and country.

The Uruguay international joined Barcelona from Uruguayan club Boston River in 2018 before making his first-team breakthrough a year later.

Continue Reading

Sports

LaLiga: Mourinho Introduces Four New Rules at Real Madrid

Published

on

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho has reportedly introduced a series of new rules at the club after identifying what he considered bad habits within the dressing room.

Mourinho returned to the Spanish giants for a second spell this summer and has already begun implementing changes to improve discipline and professionalism within the squad, according to AS.

One of the new measures concerns players’ diets. The Portuguese manager has reportedly ended the freedom for players to eat whatever they choose, with the club’s nutritionist now responsible for overseeing their meals.

Under the new system, menus will be carefully structured and determined according to the nutritional needs of the players.

Mourinho has also introduced a disciplinary measure for players who arrive late to training. Such players will reportedly be required to undergo individual gym sessions.

Another rule concerns injury rehabilitation. Players recovering from injuries will now be expected to complete their rehabilitation at the club’s training ground under the supervision of Real Madrid’s medical and fitness staff rather than working independently with external personnel.

The changes are part of Mourinho’s reported efforts to establish greater discipline and control within the Real Madrid squad following his return to the club.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.