By Monday EBALU, Benin City
The governorship candidate of the Progressive People Alliance (PPA) in the September 10 Edo State governorship election, Mr. Thomas Sadoh, has declared his readiness to snatch power from politicians and provide the basic necessities of life to commoners in the state. Sadoh who is also a journalist said the political class has continually held on to power without putting premium on the people, adding “that a common man in the street, who believes in me will queue behind me to fight this.” Fielding questions from journalists at the Benin Airport on his arrival from Dubai, where he said he consulted with Edo citizens on the need to support his aspiration and bridge the gap between those who have and those that do not. According to him, he was away when he won the ticket of his party after the two other aspirants, who contested the PPA’s ticket stepped down for him. Sadoh, who is from the same senatorial district as outgoing Governor Adams Oshiomhole, said nothing was wrong in replacing his kinsman, pointing out that he did not believe in sacrificing meritocracy in the name of zoning. Speaking further, he disclosed that he was taking a break from his position as a broadcaster with the Benin based Independent Television (ITV) in order to focus on his gubernatorial ambition, adding that as a journalist, who has practiced the profession for many years he knows the challenges facing Edo people more than any candidate in the race. “We cannot continue to suffer while some people continue to milk us dry. There is no greater commitment than this. I came out because I really want to do
this and I know that my chances are brighter that you can ever think”, he declared. Asked if he was fronting for any other candidate in the race, he said he was not in the race to further the aspiration of any other candidate, saying it was sad that people raised political structure and later collapse them for other candidates. “I’m here on my own volition and I have consulted before embarking on this. These people are behind me to ensure that we take over Osadebe Avenue on November 12. I have presented my agenda to the people and I’m happy with the reception I have received so far”, he added.