Connect with us

Uncategorized

Proactive Gender Initiative backs female speaker for 9th House of Reps.

Published

on

Proactive Gender Initiative backs female speaker for 9th House of Reps.

A civil rights group, Proactive Gender Initiatives (PGI), has thrown its weight behind the idea of having a female as Speaker in the 9th House of Representatives.

Ms. Esther Uzoma, the National Coordinator of PGI, said on Sunday in a telephone interview with the Nationaltrail in Abuja that it would be a huge boost to all women in the country.
Nationaltrail reports that the 9th assembly would be inaugurated on June 9 as soon as President Muhammadu Buhari issued a proclamation letter to that effect.

Already, intense lobby had commenced at the Senate and the House of Representatives over who becames the senate president and speaker of the lower house, among other positions.

Uzoma, who is also a legal practitioner, said it was high time Nigeria has another female as speaker in line with the Federal Character Commission Act and National Gender Policy of the country.

She argued that presently, a female lawmaker, Rep Nkeiruka Onyejeocha (APC-Abia) who declared to vie for the position recently, was most qualified to be the number-two person in the National Assembly hierarchy.

”Number one, we are rooting for a female speaker because in the National Assembly, we have one female who is a fourth-term member.

”She is a person of integrity and she has proven legislative experience. She is competent.

”Secondly, she is from the ruling party and so far, the balance of power has not favoured her region.

”If you look at the hierarchy of principal officers as presently proposed, it appears to favour one region in exclusion of the other.

”So it is necessary in the spirit of democracy, in the spirit of inclusivity that persons from her region should also be considered.

”Thirdly, we are supporting her because of her gender. Nigeria is a democratic nation that has passed into law, the Federal Character Commission Act.

”So we want the tenets of the Federal Character to be considered and to also consider, the National Gender Policy that provides that the government in all its appointments should at least concede 35 per cent to women.

”So this is a rule, a policy, a regulation that the Nigerian state has given unto herself,” she remarked.

She noted that though the lower house had once had a speaker in the person of Patricia Etteh (PDP-Osun) between June and Oct.2007, she was sacrificed on the alter of politics.

”Since the history of this country, one female, Mrs Patricia, managed to become speaker.

“We saw what happened. Her time was sensationalised; allegations and counter allegations.

”But at the end of the day, in that hallow chamber, her colleagues exonerated her and even apologised that all that was political.

”So that is what happens when a woman does not have the necessary support. She is usually sacrificed on the alter of politics,” she said.

Uzoma, said Onyejeocha, who represents Isiukwuato/Umunneochi Federal Constituency, had chaired several committees in the House, and “her colleagues know her pedigree and that is why they call her Mrs. Integrity.’

Uzoma, who is also the Alternate Chairperson, Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room, called on the members-elect, the All Progressive Congress (APC) leadership and President Muhammadu Buhari to support the clamour.

”I urge her colleagues in the House, the leadership of her party and I call on Mr. President, above all, to give her the chance.

”Mr. President has promised us so much. This is the time for Mr President to act.

”We have seen Mr. President do things former presidents shied away from, let it be said of Mr. President that it was in his time that the 35 per cent affirmative action was considered in appointing women,” she said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Abuja Building Collapse: Wike Orders Full Probe, Engineer Arrested

Published

on

By: Fabian Apechihin

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered a full investigation into the building collapse in Abuja, revealing that an engineer connected to the project has already been arrested.

Wike also disclosed that the developer behind the structure would be arrested as investigations continue. He said a panel had been constituted to determine the exact cause of the collapse.

Speaking during a visit to the scene on Monday, the Minister described the incident as “very pathetic,” stressing that the government would not compromise on the safety of residents.

“From the report I received, five persons lost their lives while some others were rescued. Nobody is happy when lives are lost,” Wike said.

He confirmed that the Department of Development Control had sealed off the site, adding that preliminary investigations were already underway pending the panel’s final report.

“One of the engineers has already been arrested. From there, we will get to the developer, and the developer will also be arrested,” he stated.

Wike warned developers against obstructing officials of the Federal Capital Development Administration (FCDA) from carrying out routine inspections on construction sites.

According to him, some developers resort to blackmail whenever government agencies attempt to enforce building regulations instead of complying with laid-down standards.

“Sometimes when government officials take action at construction sites, some people choose to blackmail them rather than understand why such actions are necessary,” he said.

The Minister emphasized the need for strict compliance with building standards, including proper soil testing and the use of quality materials, to prevent future tragedies.

“In every building project, the quality of materials used must be verified. Soil tests must also be conducted to determine whether the land can support two floors, three floors, or more. These things are very important,” he explained.

Wike maintained that the government’s primary responsibility is the protection of lives and property, lamenting that the lives lost in the incident could never be replaced.

“How can those lives be brought back? They are gone forever. Government has a duty to protect life and property,” he added.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Shettima withdraws from Kaduna Central Senate race, backs APC candidates , Shehu Sani

Published

on

From Hassan Taiye

Former Kaduna Central senatorial aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Yerima Shettima.
A former Kaduna Central senatorial aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Yerima Shettima, has withdrawn from the race and pledged support for all candidates of the party ahead of the forthcoming general election.

Shettima announced his withdrawal at a press conference on Sunday, saying the decision followed extensive consultations and careful reflection.
The former aspirant explained that his action was taken in deference to the decision of the APC regarding the Kaduna Central senatorial contest.
“After wide consultations and deep reflection, I have decided to respect the decision of our great party regarding the senatorial contest,” he said.

He stressed that the withdrawal should not be interpreted as an act of fear or weakness, but as a demonstration of loyalty to party unity and discipline.

“This decision is not borne out of fear, weakness or cowardice, but rather from my unwavering commitment to party unity, discipline and collective progress,” Shettima stated.

He reaffirmed his commitment to the ruling party and vowed to continue supporting its success at all levels.
“As a loyal and committed party man, I remain steadfast in my support for the APC and reaffirm my readiness to

continue contributing my quota towards the victory of our great party,” he added.
Shettima also appealed to his supporters and political associates to remain calm and support candidates produced by the APC.

“The unity and success of the APC must remain our collective priority,” he said.
The former aspirant further called for reconciliation among aggrieved party members to strengthen cohesion within the party ahead of the elections.
He expressed appreciation to members of the Capacity Movement, led by Sani Shehu Sado, and his campaign council for their support during the political process.

Shettima also reaffirmed his support for the President and the Kaduna State Governor.
“I hereby formally announce my withdrawal from the Kaduna Central Senatorial race in good spirit and align accordingly with party decisions,” he declared.

The development comes amid growing political realignments within the APC in Kaduna State following the party’s recent primary elections, which produced candidates for various elective positions ahead of the 2027 general elections.
In recent weeks, some aspirants and party stakeholders have raised concerns over the conduct of the primaries, alleging irregularities and manipulation in certain contests.

However, party leaders have continued to urge aggrieved members to embrace reconciliation and work for the unity of the APC.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Mustapha in senatorial race with Gov AbdulRazaq despite denial

Published

on

Stephen Olufemi Oni Ilorin

Despite denial, documents Indicate that Senator Saliu Mustapha Is in the Kwara Central senatorial race Against Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Despite claims of backing Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq’s senatorial bid for the Kwara Central Senatorial seat in the 2027 general elections, party documents reveal that the incumbent Senator representing Kwara Central Senatorial District, Saliu Mustapha, is in the race against Governor AbdulRazaq.

According to party documents, while Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq is listed as No. 17 among the cleared aspirants to participate in today’s senatorial race in Kwara State, Sen. Saliu Mustapha is listed as No. 18, making him the only contestant against the Kwara State Governor for the Kwara Central senatorial seat.

Meanwhile, Senator Mustapha had, via a statement issued by his media assistant, Nasir Sholagberu, earlier today, claimed he is backing Governor AbdulRazaq for Kwara Central Senate, while calling for peaceful and orderly primaries.

Speaking on the Kwara Central Senatorial District contest, the Senator expressed strong support for the aspiration of the Governor of Kwara State, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, who is the sole contestant for the APC senatorial ticket in the district ahead of the 2027 general elections.

According to him, the emergence of Governor AbdulRazaq as the lone aspirant is a clear indication of the immense respect, acceptance, and confidence he enjoys among party stakeholders and members across the state.

Senator Mustapha noted that the development reflects the belief among party leaders and stakeholders that Governor AbdulRazaq deserves such recognition and preeminence in view of his contributions to the growth and stability of the party and the state.

He further wished the Governor and all other aspirants participating in the primaries across the state a peaceful, successful, and rancour-free exercise.

The appearance of Sen. Saliu on the list of contestants for the Kwara Central Senatorial race has, however, raised concerns among Kwarans, who expected that the Senator was actually in the race for the Kwara State gubernatorial election.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.