Connect with us

Uncategorized

Rep Seat: Oke-Ero APC Elders, Youths Insist On Ekiti Indigene

Published

on

  • Warn Against Backlash For Party If Their Appeal Is Ignored

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin

As political activities ahead of the 2027 general elections gradually gather momentum, notable Elders and Youths within the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Oke-ero Local Government ArCall gea of Kwara State have demanded an ‘Ekiti for Ekiti’ to fly the flag of the party for the House of Representatives seat, and not an outsider claiming to be from the area

The group, for the umpteenth time, expressed vehement opposition to the purported emergence of Mrs Olasumbo Florence Oyeyemi as the party’s candidate for the Ekiti/Irepodun/Isin/Oke-Ero Federal Constituency of Kwara State.

Chief Bayo Alabi, the leader of the elders caucus, and Mr Dayo Ashaolu, the Youth Coordinator, stated this in a joint statement on Saturday.

They maintained that the House of Representatives seat should remain the preserve of an indigene of Oke-Ero Local Government Area and not someone from Ijebu in Ogun State.

They argued that the Local Government Council has waited for more than two decades for the opportunity to produce the federal lawmaker representing the constituency.

They said handing the ticket to someone they do not regard as an indigene of Oke-Ero would amount to injustice and would deny the local government its long-awaited opportunity to occupy the seat.

They also alleged that Oyeyemi is not an indigene of Oke-Ero, arguing that her previous appointment and service as a Commissioner under the administration of Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq do not, in their view, confer indigene status on her.

“Now that the situation appears to be favouring the Ekiti bloc, particularly Oke Ero Local Government, in our federal constituency following the withdrawal of Hon Tunji Olawuyi from the race, it would be a great source of joy if a bonafide son of Ekiti emerges as the candidate of APC.

“Regarding Florence Olasumbo purported nomination, although she is married to a man from Idofin, in Oke-ero, she is not an indigene of our constituency.

“A similar situation occurred with the current Commissioner representing Ekiti Local Government, who was married to a son of the soil but later divorced, having enjoyed the privilege of her marriage to become Commissioner . We don’t want such a scenario to repeat itself in our constituency.”

“Consequently, many people feel that Ekiti block has not truly enjoyed the expected representation.

“This is why we believe it is important to support a candidate who is an indigene of the soil and can genuinely represent our people,” they affirmed

They appealed to Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq and the leadership of the APC in Kwara State to reconsider the choice of candidate and instead support what they described as a genuine indigene of Oke-Ero to represent the constituency.

According to them, such a decision would foster unity within the party, strengthen the confidence of party members and reassure the people that their aspirations and sense of belonging are being respected.

They further claimed that if reports suggesting that Oyeyemi had already completed the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) nomination process as the APC candidate were true, the development could generate dissatisfaction among party members in Oke-Ero.

They argued that such a move could negatively affect the morale of APC members in the local government and weaken the party’s support base ahead of the general election.

“We reject the candidacy of Olasumbo. Our position is that the House of Representatives ticket meant for Oke-Ero should not be given to someone we do not regard as an indigene of the local government,” the stakeholders said.

They urged the APC leadership to review the situation and ensure that Oke-Ero is allowed to produce what they described as its own candidate, rather than one perceived to have originated from outside the local government.

They expressed hope that the party leadership would carefully consider their concerns in the interest of equity, justice and the continued unity of the APC in the Ekiti/Irepodun/Isin/Oke-Ero Federal Constituency ahead of the 2027 elections.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Lawyer Demands Release of Detained Kano Blogger, Maryam Shehu

Published

on

By Hassan Agboola

A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza Nuhu Dantani, has called for the immediate release of Kano-based blogger, Maryam Shehu, who he said has been in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for almost 30 days.

Dantani, in a statement on Monday, said the prolonged detention of Shehu was becoming difficult to reconcile with the rule of law and provisions of the 1999 Constitution, particularly her fundamental right to personal liberty.
He questioned why Shehu should remain in detention for nearly 30 days, particularly over an offence he described as ordinarily bailable.

“How on earth can a person be detained for almost 30 days and counting, particularly in relation to an offence that is ordinarily bailable, without meaningful consideration of her liberty and constitutional rights?” he asked.
Dantani said the EFCC’s powers to investigate did not give the commission the right to detain a suspect indefinitely, punish her before trial or disregard her fundamental rights.

He also criticised the alleged practice of photographing persons in EFCC custody and publishing their images online while they remain presumed innocent.
Citing Section 36(5) of the Constitution, Dantani said the law guarantees the presumption of innocence until a suspect is proven guilty by a competent court.

He warned that publicly portraying suspects as criminals before trial could amount to subjecting them to public punishment and humiliation.
“The EFCC is a law-enforcement institution. It must therefore be the first institution to demonstrate obedience to law. It cannot demand respect for law from citizens while appearing to disregard constitutional safeguards itself,” he said.

Dantani urged the commission to either charge Shehu before a competent court if it has credible evidence against her or release her immediately
.
“We call on EFCC to respect the Constitution, respect presumption of innocence and respect fundamental right to personal liberty. Investigation is not conviction. Detention is not punishment. And an allegation is not guilt,” he said.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Comment on Lionel Messi’s Tribute to His Dad Becomes Most-Liked Instagram Comment

Published

on

By Fabian Apechihin

Cristiano Ronaldo’s heartfelt message to Lionel Messi following the death of his father, Jorge Messi, has reportedly become the most-liked comment in Instagram history.

Jorge Messi died on August 7 in Rosario, Argentina, aged 68. Five days later, Messi paid tribute to his late father in an emotional Instagram post featuring a photo of the pair.

In the post, Messi wrote, “Te amo, pa” — meaning “I love you, Dad” — alongside a lengthy tribute reflecting on his father’s influence and the pain of losing him.

Among the many reactions from fans, celebrities and fellow footballers was a message from Ronaldo.

“Un abrazo enorme para ti y los tuyos en estos duros momentos, Leo. Mucha fuerza,” Ronaldo wrote, which translates to: “A huge hug to you and yours in these tough times, Leo. Much strength.”

Ronaldo’s comment reportedly attracted more than 6.86 million likes and over 86,000 comments, making it the most-liked comment on Instagram.

The previous record was also held by Ronaldo, whose comment on Kylian Mbappé’s announcement of his move to Real Madrid reportedly received more than five million likes.

Other football stars also expressed their condolences to Messi. Neymar Jr.’s message, translated as “Much strength for you and your family. Big hug,” reportedly received more than 1.6 million likes, while David Beckham’s comment expressing support for Messi and his family attracted more than 300,000 likes.

In his tribute, Messi described his father’s death as difficult to comprehend, saying he struggled to accept that he would no longer see or speak with him.

Messi also recalled how his father had encouraged him to play at the 2026 World Cup despite his deteriorating health. He said his father had hoped to watch him compete and had planned to travel if his condition improved.

According to Messi, he had promised his father that Argentina would reach the final so he could be there. Although Argentina reached the final, his father was unable to attend.

Reflecting on the loss, Messi said he had wanted to win the tournament and bring the trophy to his father but ultimately struggled physically during the competition.

The emotional tribute highlighted the close bond between Messi and his father and the profound impact of his loss on the football superstar.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Why Did Senate President, Edo Governor Come to Osun to Monitor Election? – Analyst

Published

on

By Fabian Apechihin

Aliu Mohammed, Chief Executive Officer of Magnate Communication and Public Affairs Analyst, has questioned the decision of Senate President Godswill Akpabio and Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo to travel to Osun State to monitor the governorship election.

Mohammed raised the question while discussing political developments surrounding the election during an interview with Vanguard News TV on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.

The public affairs analyst wondered why senior political figures, including the Senate President and a governor from another state, would personally travel to Osun to monitor the election when the All Progressives Congress (APC) already had party officials on the ground to represent its interests.

“Why would people at the level of Senate President, the Governor of Edo State, come to Osun State to monitor an election when you have your party officials there?” Mohammed asked.

His comments came amid discussions about the involvement of senior APC figures in the Osun governorship election. Their presence in the state attracted attention as political parties and their supporters monitored the voting process and awaited the outcome.

Mohammed questioned the necessity of having the Senate President and the Edo State Governor physically present in Osun to observe the electoral process.

He argued that party officials ordinarily have the responsibility of monitoring elections and representing their parties at polling locations and other relevant stages of the process.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.