By Milcah Tanimu
As the clock ticked down towards the transfer deadlines in various football leagues, fans witnessed a flurry of transfer speculations. While some of these moves were anticipated, a few unexpected transfers came to fruition, while others remained mere rumors.
Here’s a look at some transfer deals that were successfully completed on the last day of the transfer window:
1. **Alex Iwobi to Fulham:** Everton’s head coach, Sean Dyche, initially expressed skepticism about Alex Iwobi’s move to Fulham, dismissing it as “noise.” However, the Nigerian midfielder eventually signed a three-year deal with Fulham FC. Interestingly, his compatriots Kelechi Iheanacho and Wilfred Ndidi, who were also linked with moves away from Leicester, didn’t make any moves.
2. **Sambi Lokonga to Luton:** Arsenal’s midfielder, Sambi Lokonga, joined Luton Town FC on a season-long loan deal. He opted for more playing time outside of Arsenal following the arrivals of Declan Rice and Kai Havertz.
3. **Rob Holding to Crystal Palace:** Another former Arsenal player, Rob Holding, made a move to Crystal Palace FC. Holding had been instrumental in Arsenal’s defense, especially when defender William Saliba was sidelined due to injury.
4. **Johnny Evans to Manchester United:** Johnny Evans’ return to Manchester United seemed unlikely, considering his loan and deal spells at various clubs like Royal Antwerp, Sunderland, West Brom, and Leicester City. However, the Red Devils’ head coach, Ten Hag, expressed interest in him, and Evans signed a one-year deal with Manchester United.
5. **Mariano Diaz to Sevilla:** Once touted as Cristiano Ronaldo’s heir, Mariano Diaz had been handed the prestigious jersey number 7 upon his arrival from Lyon. However, he eventually fell down the pecking order and joined Sevilla on a free deal after the expiry of his contract.
6. **Brennan Johnson to Tottenham:** Tottenham, unable to secure their target Ansu Fati, turned their attention to Nottingham Forest wonderkid Brennan Johnson. The deal involved £45 million, and the 22-year-old Welshman has successfully undergone medicals and will join the team for training.
Additional Deadline Day Deals:
– **Callum Hudson-Odoi:** Chelsea to Nottingham Forest – €3.5 million
– **Abde Ezzalzouli:** Barcelona to Real Betis – €7.5 million
– **Leonardo Bonucci:** Juventus to Union Berlin – Free Transfer
– **Juan Bernat:** PSG to Benfica – Loan
These transfers brought excitement and anticipation to the football world, as fans eagerly await to see how these new additions will impact their respective teams.