Defence/Security
We’ll protect firemen, assets — FG

Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire(4th left), Program Director for West and Central Africa, Smile Train, Mrs. Nkeiruka Obi(4th Right),co-Chairperson, National Surgical, Obstetrics, Anesthesia and Nursing Plan (NSOANP), Prof. Emmanuel Ameh(3rd Left) directors of the Ministry and other delegations of Smile Train, during a courtesy visit to the Minister in Abuja
The Federal Government has reaffirmed its commitment to protect fire fighters and their equipment from physical attacks while responding to emergencies and disasters.
Sola Fasure, the Media Adviser to the Minister of Interior, Mr Rauf Aregbesola quoted him as re-affirming the commitment in a statement issued on Tuesday in Abuja.
According to him, the minister made the assertion in Calabar at a fire and safety advocacy visit and the inauguration of a firefighting truck by Gov. Ben Ayade of Cross River.
“There have been saddening reports of attacks on our personnel and equipment whenever they are out in response to distress calls. This makes it difficult for them to even carry out their assignments.
“Our communities now should stand up and own the firefighting equipment procured and deployed for their use at a huge cost.
“They should be the first line of defence for them in the face of attacks from vandals and unruly elements.
“Let us honour and respect ourselves by refraining from impulsive attacks on fellow citizens who are simply attending to our needs, albeit officially,“ the minister said in the statement.
He said that the Federal Government had since resolved to take tough stand on such attacks on harmless officers risking their lives to save others and minimise the loss occasioned by such incidents
Aregbesola disclosed that armed personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) would henceforth accompany firefighters while carrying out their legal duties.
“We are making arrangements to accompany every mission with armed personnel. They will be empowered to take all necessary actions to protect our personnel and assets from any form of attack.
“Any assault on officers and men in the fire service is an assault on Nigeria and our sovereignty. The personnel are Nigerians with families, human rights and stake in our nation.
“Attack on any of the personnel is equally an attack on a Nigerian with emotional tie with other Nigerians,” the statement.
While acknowledging the support of President Muhammadu Buhari for the ministry and its agencies, the minister noted that the Federal Executive Council (FEC) on March 3 approved N10.4 billion for infrastructure upgrade at the Federal Fire Service (FFS).
This, he noted, had so far enabled the service to procure 44 additional firefighting engines, 15 water tankers, 15 rapid intervention fire engines.
“These machines can go into the nooks and crannies of any community to respond to distress calls with 20 basic life support ambulances.
“I must, therefore, thank the President for his continued interest and support for our ministry and the four agencies, including the FFS.
“Under him, the service has grown phenomenally. With the deployment of 141 fire engines and 6,000 personnel between 2016 and now across the country to boost emergency response.
“FFS is now present in all the states of the federation and most responsive, saving lives and preventing humanitarian and economic disasters.
“These trucks and equipment have been spread round the country to strengthen the various state commands of the FSS and we are very pleased to inaugurate the truck deployed for use in Cross River.”
In his remarks, the Controller-General (C-G) of FFS, Dr Ibrahim Liman, urged the governor to also extend a hand of support to the service in the state.
Liman noted that deployment of the modern fire service truck to the state was meant to assist the firefighting efforts.
“The fire truck we are inaugurating is a huge national asset, requiring optimum maintenance and fuelling.
“We crave the indulgence of the state government to facilitate deployment of utility vehicles to support the operation of the vehicle.
“We want you to sponsor personnel of the state fire service for local and foreign training in view of emerging trends in firefighting and the inclusion of the Federal Fire Service in the State Security Council,” he said.
Ayade, who was represented by his Deputy, Prof. Ivara Esu, commended the leadership attributes of the minister.
“Aregbesola is a round peg in a round hole, a square peg in a square hole.
“His views about Nigeria are nationalistic and must be commended. He’s the type of leader that Nigeria needs,” the governor added.
Ayade stated that his administration would do its best to sensitise the public on why such assets deployed must be protected at all cost.
“We will do our best to make sure we take good care of the multimillion naira equipment that have been deployed to our state.
“We will carry out major advocacy as regards fire prevention, control and particularly, the protection of the firefighters and equipment,” the governor said.
“We will immediately begin our advocacy campaign and ensure our people protect the equipment. We will also use the opportunity of free training afforded to us at your training school here in Cross River.
“I will also look into the requests of the C-G and work out modalities of acceding to all his requests,” he promised.
Defence/Security
Why Christians Are Being Targeted in Nigeria — Majeed Dahiru Speaks
By: Fabian Apechihin
Public affairs analyst, Majeed Dahiru, has weighed in on the reports of targeted killings of Christians in Nigeria, insisting that President Bola Tinubu cannot be accused of religious bias or complicity in the country’s security challenges.
Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today, Dahiru said President Tinubu has shown a strong commitment to national security and unity since taking office.
“President Tinubu has not, by any stretch of the imagination, been accused of religious bigotry or having sympathy for Islamist jihadist terror groups,” he stated.
According to him, the president has mobilised the armed forces and other security agencies to combat insurgency and restore stability in violence-prone regions.
Dahiru acknowledged that attacks on Christians in some parts of the country remain worrisome but maintained that there has been visible progress in the fight against terrorism and banditry.
“Absolutely not. You can criticise him for every other thing, but not for religious bias. There is no way he would sit idly as Commander-in-Chief and allow or encourage the killing of Christians,” he added.
His comments follow heightened international concern over alleged religiously motivated killings in Nigeria.
On October 31, former U.S. President Donald Trump described the situation as a “mass slaughter,” warning that Christianity faces an existential threat in Nigeria.
Trump also directed Congressman Riley Moore and House Appropriations Chairman Tom Cole to investigate the reported killings, saying:
“I am hereby making Nigeria a ‘country of particular concern.’ But that is the least of it. When Christians, or any such group, are slaughtered as is happening in Nigeria (3,100 versus 4,476 worldwide), something must be done!”
However, the Nigerian government has dismissed the claims of a “Christian genocide,” insisting that security forces are confronting all forms of criminality without ethnic or religious bias.
Defence/Security
Genocide Allegations: Group Urges Tinubu to File Treason Charges Against Nigerians Who Reported Country to Trump
By: Fabian Apechihin
The National Patriotic Elders for Peace and Harmony of Nigeria (NPEPHN) has called on President Bola Tinubu to file treasonable felony charges against Nigerians who allegedly reported cases of Christian massacres to the United States government.
In a statement issued on Friday, the group’s president, Dr. Bature AbdulAziz, condemned the actions of those he described as “unpatriotic elements”, insisting that their reports to foreign powers amounted to a betrayal of national sovereignty.
“Nigeria is a sovereign nation with adequate laws to address the concerns of its citizens,” AbdulAziz said. “Reporting the country to another nation is nothing short of treasonable felony, and those responsible must be prosecuted.”
The elders also urged Northern governors to urgently convene a regional security meeting involving religious and ethnic leaders to address the recurring violence in the region and to present verified data on casualties to counter “false narratives” being circulated internationally.
According to AbdulAziz, the silence of Northern leaders amid U.S. President Donald Trump’s threat of military intervention in Nigeria was unacceptable. He advised them to compile accurate records of attacks and present factual evidence before relevant authorities.
“The claim that over 500,000 Christians have been killed must be supported with verifiable data,” he said. “The U.S. government knows that most of the victims of insecurity in Nigeria are Muslims, not Christians.”
Citing data from various conflict-prone regions, AbdulAziz maintained that 75 percent of victims of terrorism and communal violence since 1999 have been Muslims, noting that most of the affected areas — including Kaduna, Zamfara, Kebbi, Sokoto, Kano, Jigawa, Bauchi, Borno, and Yobe — are predominantly Muslim communities.
“These are the towns and villages that have been burned, destroyed, and displaced repeatedly,” he added.
While acknowledging that parts of the North Central zone — including Benue, Plateau, Taraba, and Kwara — have a higher Christian population, AbdulAziz said most of the conflicts in those states stem from farmer-herder clashes, where both sides suffer heavy losses.
“In many cases, Muslim herders are attacked and displaced by host communities. Their families and livestock are killed, yet no one talks about those casualties,” he noted.
AbdulAziz faulted the U.S. government for allegedly accepting “false genocide claims” without conducting independent investigations.
“It is shocking that the United States would believe such fabrications despite its advanced intelligence systems. We suspect there is a hidden political motive — possibly linked to Nigeria’s stance on the Israel-Palestine issue at the United Nations, or our government’s growing alignment with France and other nations,” he alleged.
The elder statesman reminded Donald Trump of Nigeria’s historic role in promoting peace and democracy across Africa.
“Any attack on Nigeria would destabilize several African nations that depend on her strength. We therefore appeal to President Trump to reconsider his decision,” AbdulAziz stated.
The group reiterated its support for President Tinubu’s administration and urged Nigerians to unite in defending the country’s sovereignty from “external manipulation and internal sabotage.”
Defence/Security
Retired ACP Sheriff Rabiu Blasts Northern Clerics Over Hate Preaching, Almajiri Menace
By: Fabian Apechihin
A retired Assistant Commissioner of Police, Sheriff Abubakar Rabiu, has sparked nationwide debate with a hard-hitting open letter accusing some Northern Islamic clerics of fueling division and violence through incendiary sermons.
The strongly worded message, which has gone viral across WhatsApp groups, mosque forums, and security networks, condemned what Rabiu described as the “toxic preaching culture” that has poisoned the minds of Northern youths and laid the foundation for extremist movements like Boko Haram.
“Nobody has the key to Jannatul Firdausi except Allah,” Rabiu wrote. “Yet any Tom, Dick, and Harry with shallow knowledge of Islam grabs a microphone and calls our Christian brothers ‘Arna’, ‘Kafurai’, or ‘infidels destined for hell’. This is not Islam. This is madness — and this madness gave birth to Boko Haram.”
Rabiu, who once served as Chief Security Officer to former Adamawa Governor Murtala Nyako, said Nigeria’s greatest internal threats are hate preaching and the Almajiri system, which he described as a breeding ground for radicalization.
“An idle mind is the devil’s workshop. Those street children begging today are tomorrow’s recruits and foot soldiers for every terrorist group promising paradise for killing ‘infidels’,” he warned.
Turning his criticism inward, Rabiu questioned why Northern leaders were quick to blame Donald Trump for placing Nigeria on a religious freedom watchlist while ignoring the behaviors that justified it.
“Instead of shouting that Trump is Islamophobic, let’s ask ourselves why America put us on that list,” he said. “In Saudi Arabia, Qatar, or the UAE, try preaching hate from a pulpit — you’ll be arrested the same day. But here in secular Nigeria, they insult Christians from Friday to Friday and nobody stops them.”
Rabiu urged President Bola Tinubu to take decisive action by directing the National Assembly, Northern governors, and local government councils to enact and enforce laws criminalizing:
- The use of derogatory religious labels like arne or kafir
- Street begging by children under the Almajiri system
- Hate speech disguised as preaching
“Do this sincerely,” he cautioned, “and America will see that we are serious. Fail, and we invite the same war machinery that turned Afghanistan and Iraq into graveyards.”
The retired officer ended with a nostalgic appeal for unity:
“If we implement these measures, Nigeria will return to the peace we had in the 1970s — when Muslims and Christians drank from the same cup, married each other’s sisters, and buried each other’s dead.”
By Thursday evening, Rabiu’s open letter had been shared in over 40 Northern WhatsApp groups, drawing support from youth leaders and religious moderates alike.
A community leader in Kano’s Hotoro suburb said, “This is the first time a respected Muslim officer has spoken this boldly. If our governors ignore him, they are the real enemies of Islam.”
Although the Kano Hisbah Board declined to comment officially, a senior commander who spoke off record admitted, “Mallam Sheriff said what many of us whisper privately. The question is — who will bell the cat?”
As Northern Nigeria grapples with rising tension over the message, one fact remains clear: a retired police officer has drawn a bold red line against radical preaching — and the ripple effect may reshape the region’s religious discourse for years to come.
-
Uncategorized5 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines10 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News11 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology4 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
