Connect with us

Uncategorized

China adopts multiple measures to promote high-quality development

Published

on

 

By Liu Zhiqiang, People’s Daily

The State Council Information Office held a press conference in Beijing on March 6 about promoting high-quality development to set the stage for building a modern socialist country in all respects.

Zhao Chenxin, vice chairman of the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), outlined China’s remarkable economic performance in 2022.

According to Zhao, the country’s GDP exceeded the 120-trillion-yuan ($17.22 trillion) mark for the first time, and the consumer price index only rose by 2 percent while global inflation has surged to its highest level in over 40 years.

Besides, a total of 12.06 million new urban jobs were created last year, exceeding the annual target of 11 million. China maintained a basic equilibrium in the balance of payments, and the scale of the country’s foreign exchange reserves remained over $3.1 trillion as of the end of last year.

China’s development quality saw steady improvement.

Innovation-driven development has played a more important role. China’s total expenditure on research and development (R&D) amounted to 3 trillion yuan for the first time, with the country’s ratio of R&D expenditure to GDP increasing to 2.55 percent. The country has climbed to 11th place in the Global Innovation Index (GII) 2022 Report.

Structural adjustment accelerated in the sectors of industry, investment, consumption and trade. Green and low-carbon development achieved steady progress, and poverty alleviation achievements have been continuously consolidated. The social security system and public services were also improved firmly.

China has constantly consolidated the foundation for safe development.

Fiscal and financial operations were generally stable and sound, and international payments were in basic balance. The country has achieved a bumper grain harvest for 19 consecutive years, and its annual grain output has exceeded 650 billion kilograms for eight years in a row.

It also enhanced the systems of energy production, supply, storage and sales, and the energy supply is maintained at a stable level. The capability to maintain the security of key industrial and supply chains has been continuously improved.

According to the government work report this year, China’s annual growth target is set at around 5 percent.

Zhao explained that as a developing country, China still takes development as its top priority. To achieve the targets set at the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China, the country needs to maintain reasonable economic growth to boost employment, improve people’s livelihoods, and prevent and defuse risks, Zhao added.

The 5-percent growth target, which is conducive to accelerating the creation of a new development paradigm and promoting high-quality development, is in line with current economic momentum, and will guide all sectors to focus on improving the quality and efficiency of development, Zhao said.

Besides, regions across China all have strong confidence in their development prospects, which lays a solid foundation for the country to achieve the annual growth target.

Zhao said the country will strengthen macro policy regulation, maintain the continuity and consistency of macro policies, make them more effective and targeted, enhance the integration and coordination of policies and ensure that all policies are consistent with the direction of macro policies.

The country will ensure that the implementation of the strategy to expand domestic demand is integrated with efforts to deepen supply-side structural reform, further unleash the potential of household consumption, boost investment, and implement the innovation-driven development strategy in an in-depth manner, and accelerate the building of a modern industrial system.

It will also build a high-standard socialist market economy and promote high-level opening up to constantly energize development. It will coordinate development and security, properly handle and defuse risks in areas such as property sector, finance, and local government debt, and practically enhance security capacity building in food security, energy resources and key industrial and supply chains.

Besides, China will thoroughly and effectively implement the employment-first policy, strengthen basic public services and constantly guarantee and improve people’s livelihood.

Final consumption is a lasting driver of economic growth. Li Chunlin, vice chairman of the NDRC, said that China’s consumer market has shown signs of rapid recovery. Consumption of catering, culture and other industries has rebounded since the Spring Festival holiday, getting the economy off to a strong start, he said.

Li believes that uncertain factors constraining the release of consumption potential are gradually eliminated, and the first half of this year is expected to see a steady increase in the growth of major indicators of consumption.

Consumption will serve as a main driving force boosting China’s economic growth in 2023, Li said.

In 2022, China’s fixed-asset investment increased by 5.1 percent over the previous year. In particular, investments in infrastructure and manufacturing rose 9.4 percent and 9.1 percent, respectively, playing an important role in stabilizing the macro economy.

Yang Yinkai, vice chairman of the NDRC, said China will keep working to expand effective investment this year, advance the construction of major projects, effectively drive investment from the society through government investment and policy incentives, consolidate the sound momentum for stable growth in infrastructure investment and manufacturing investment, and further enhance the key role of investment in optimizing the supply structure.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Kwara: Ifelodun Travellers Transport System Revived

Published

on

  • As Council Signs MoU With P&A Contract Ltd

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin

The Ifelodun local Government, under the leadership of Hadji Abdulrasheed Femi Yusuf, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with P & A Contract Limited for the construction of a modern motor park in Amoyo, as the Council moves to revive the Ifelodun Travellers transport system and improve transportation within the Local Government.

Speaking during the MoU signing ceremony at the Council s Contact Office in Amoyo, the Chairman explained that the decision to construct the motor park was driven by the need for Ifelodun Local Government to establish its own transport identity, intended to ease people’s transportation problem.

He recalled that residents travelling to and from Ifelodun had, over the years, relied on transport facilities at Offa Garage and Maraba in Ilorin, stressing the need to create a dedicated transport hub that would serve the people of the Local Government.

“At some point in the history of Ifelodun Local Government, we had Ifelodun Travellers, which does not exist anymore. I don’t think there is anything wrong with bringing that identity back to the limelight. Now, we want to add value to that identity,” the Chairman said.

He added that the Council was also working with relevant stakeholders to bring in 10 units of Korope buses, which would commence operations as soon as possible.

“We are working with the NURTW, Kwara State Chapter, for guidance and to ensure that the operation runs smoothly,” he added.

The Supervisory Councillor for Works and Infrastructure Development, Mrs. Kolo Rebecca, explained that the proposed park would feature several amenities, including a garage, warehouse, 100-unit shopping complex, parking spaces and general toilets.

She said the facilities were designed to boost economic activities, improve the image of the Local Government and provide a more convenient transportation system for residents.

According to her, the initiative is also in line with the efforts of the Kwara State Governor, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, to take governance and development directly to the grassroots.

The contractor, Mallam Jimoh Toheeb Abolore, assured the Local Government of the prompt execution of the project, promising that the construction would meet the required standards and contribute positively to the image and development of Ifelodun Local Government.

Those in attendance included the Vice Chairman, Hon. Nike Ajibola; Secretary to the Local Government, Dr. Kamil Akorede; DPM, Mallam Ayinde Salman; LGT, Mallam Usman Waheed; Chief of Staff to the Chairman, Chief Ademola Zubair; Head of Works, Engr. Awodi Muhammad; Land officer, Tola Kadir and other Special Assistants.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Lawyer Demands Release of Detained Kano Blogger, Maryam Shehu

Published

on

By Hassan Agboola

A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza Nuhu Dantani, has called for the immediate release of Kano-based blogger, Maryam Shehu, who he said has been in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for almost 30 days.

Dantani, in a statement on Monday, said the prolonged detention of Shehu was becoming difficult to reconcile with the rule of law and provisions of the 1999 Constitution, particularly her fundamental right to personal liberty.
He questioned why Shehu should remain in detention for nearly 30 days, particularly over an offence he described as ordinarily bailable.

“How on earth can a person be detained for almost 30 days and counting, particularly in relation to an offence that is ordinarily bailable, without meaningful consideration of her liberty and constitutional rights?” he asked.
Dantani said the EFCC’s powers to investigate did not give the commission the right to detain a suspect indefinitely, punish her before trial or disregard her fundamental rights.

He also criticised the alleged practice of photographing persons in EFCC custody and publishing their images online while they remain presumed innocent.
Citing Section 36(5) of the Constitution, Dantani said the law guarantees the presumption of innocence until a suspect is proven guilty by a competent court.

He warned that publicly portraying suspects as criminals before trial could amount to subjecting them to public punishment and humiliation.
“The EFCC is a law-enforcement institution. It must therefore be the first institution to demonstrate obedience to law. It cannot demand respect for law from citizens while appearing to disregard constitutional safeguards itself,” he said.

Dantani urged the commission to either charge Shehu before a competent court if it has credible evidence against her or release her immediately
.
“We call on EFCC to respect the Constitution, respect presumption of innocence and respect fundamental right to personal liberty. Investigation is not conviction. Detention is not punishment. And an allegation is not guilt,” he said.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Comment on Lionel Messi’s Tribute to His Dad Becomes Most-Liked Instagram Comment

Published

on

By Fabian Apechihin

Cristiano Ronaldo’s heartfelt message to Lionel Messi following the death of his father, Jorge Messi, has reportedly become the most-liked comment in Instagram history.

Jorge Messi died on August 7 in Rosario, Argentina, aged 68. Five days later, Messi paid tribute to his late father in an emotional Instagram post featuring a photo of the pair.

In the post, Messi wrote, “Te amo, pa” — meaning “I love you, Dad” — alongside a lengthy tribute reflecting on his father’s influence and the pain of losing him.

Among the many reactions from fans, celebrities and fellow footballers was a message from Ronaldo.

“Un abrazo enorme para ti y los tuyos en estos duros momentos, Leo. Mucha fuerza,” Ronaldo wrote, which translates to: “A huge hug to you and yours in these tough times, Leo. Much strength.”

Ronaldo’s comment reportedly attracted more than 6.86 million likes and over 86,000 comments, making it the most-liked comment on Instagram.

The previous record was also held by Ronaldo, whose comment on Kylian Mbappé’s announcement of his move to Real Madrid reportedly received more than five million likes.

Other football stars also expressed their condolences to Messi. Neymar Jr.’s message, translated as “Much strength for you and your family. Big hug,” reportedly received more than 1.6 million likes, while David Beckham’s comment expressing support for Messi and his family attracted more than 300,000 likes.

In his tribute, Messi described his father’s death as difficult to comprehend, saying he struggled to accept that he would no longer see or speak with him.

Messi also recalled how his father had encouraged him to play at the 2026 World Cup despite his deteriorating health. He said his father had hoped to watch him compete and had planned to travel if his condition improved.

According to Messi, he had promised his father that Argentina would reach the final so he could be there. Although Argentina reached the final, his father was unable to attend.

Reflecting on the loss, Messi said he had wanted to win the tournament and bring the trophy to his father but ultimately struggled physically during the competition.

The emotional tribute highlighted the close bond between Messi and his father and the profound impact of his loss on the football superstar.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.