Uncategorized
‘How I Lost My Pregnant Wife, Children in Lagos Building Collapse — And My Parents to Herdsmen in Benue’
By Fabian Apechihin
46-year-old businessman, Emmanuel Otache, shares his heartbreaking story with Grace Edema
“I woke up seven months later to learn my wife and children were gone.”
It happened on October 12, 2019, in Magodo, Isheri, Lagos. A building behind my apartment suddenly collapsed into my home, killing my pregnant wife and our three children.
That evening, I had just returned from a business trip. My wife was feeding the children while I rested in the sitting room. Then I heard a loud sound—like thunder. Before I could even react, everything came crashing down.
I don’t remember what happened afterward. The next thing I recall was waking up seven months later in the hospital, wrapped in bandages. That was when I was told my wife and children didn’t survive.
“It felt like dying while still alive.”
When I regained consciousness and heard the news, I couldn’t speak for days. I didn’t believe it until I saw their pictures. I had lost everything—my family, my home, my business. Life stopped for me that day.
“Doctors fixed an iron rod from my waist to my knees.”
My legs and waist were badly crushed in the collapse. At LASUTH, Ikeja, doctors inserted an iron rod from my waist to my knees so that I could stand and walk again.
They told me it should be removed within two to three years, but I couldn’t afford it. The procedure was estimated to cost about ₦15 million, and I’ve been living with the pain ever since.
“After losing my family, I lost my parents to herdsmen.”
After the collapse, I left Lagos and returned to my village, Opaha, in Benue State, to start afresh. But tragedy struck again in April 2023 when herdsmen attacked our community, killing 95 people, including my father, mother, uncles, and four siblings.
The attack started around 3 p.m. and lasted until 11 p.m. One of my uncles hid me under a tarpaulin in the kitchen. The gunmen shot and burned houses until late in the night.
When soldiers and police arrived around 4 a.m., they thought I was dead. I was taken to a hospital, where I later regained consciousness.
“Everything I had was wiped out again.”
In May 2025, there was another attack that destroyed what remained of our family home. By then, I had already returned to Lagos through AKC Transport, hoping to raise money for my surgery and rebuild my life.
Now, I live with a friend in Adamo Elias, Ikorodu. He used to ride an okada but now works as a security guard. Life has been tough for both of us.
“I can’t work; I live on help from friends and neighbours.”
Because of the iron in my body, I use two crutches and can’t stand for long. I depend on my friend and kind neighbours for food. Some days, I go without eating.
I still visit pharmacies for painkillers when I can afford them, but the pain is constant.
“Government has not helped me.”
I wrote letters to the Kosofe Local Government, the Governor of Lagos State, and the Governor of Benue State, but I never got any response. I have been struggling on my own since the tragedy.
“All I ask is a chance to live again.”
What I need most now is help to remove the iron rod in my body and support to restart my phone accessories business. I am not lazy — I just want a chance to live a normal life again.
“I have lost my wife, my children, my parents, and my home. All I ask is for help — from the government, churches, NGOs, or kind Nigerians — so I can start over.”
“My faith keeps me going.”
Despite everything, I still believe in God. I’ve seen death and survived it multiple times. That’s what gives me hope that one day, someone will hear my story and help me live again.
Would you like me to edit this for print publication (with headline, pull quotes, and subheads) or make a shorter, web-friendly version for online news?
Uncategorized
TAU reaffirms commitment to globally competitive learning
- As 16 graduands make First Class
Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin
The Thomas Adewumi University (TAU), Oko-Irese, in the Irepodun local government area of Kwara State, has reaffirmed its commitment to strengthening quality education, innovation, and globally competitive learning.

Speaking at the institution’s 2nd Convocation ceremony in Oko-Irese, the Vice Chancellor of the University, Professor Francisca Onaolapo Oladipo, said TAU is living up to its ranking as the fastest growing institution in Science, Technology, Engineering, Medicine, and Innovation (STEM-i) ecosystem by surpassing more than 100 percent in its number of graduating students at the second convocation.
She said: “TAU emerged on April 8, 2021, as Nigeria’s fastest-growing Science, Technology, Engineering, Medicine and Innovations (STEM-i) ecosystem. Today, we rank 1st among the 20 private universities that were licensed in
2021, 4th among the 14 Universities in Kwara State, 5th among Nigeria’s over 170 private Universities and 50th nationally, an impressive rise reflecting our unwavering commitment to excellence.
”What a Moment of Extraordinary Significance today, we stand at a crossroads far more significant than words can adequately capture. Exactly one year ago, we gathered at this very Auditorium to celebrate our inaugural Convocation, a ceremony that marked the graduation of 26 pioneering students who dared to believe in a vision when others saw only impossibility. Those 26 trailblazers proved that Thomas Adewumi University was not just a dream, but a reality rooted in excellence. Today, as we honour 63 outstanding graduates, we witness something far more profound than numerical growth.
“This 142% increase in our graduating class is not merely a statistic to be recorded in annual reports, it is a declaration that Thomas Adewumi University has transcended the realm of promise and entered the domain of proof.
“We have moved from potential to performance, from aspiration to achievement, from vision to velocity.
This year, 63 graduands from 4 Faculties and 11 academic programmes are being conferred. It is noteworthy that we have 16 First Class graduates, 40 in Second Class Upper Division, and 7 in Second Class Lower Division. These results reflect the quality of training and mentorship provided at Thomas Adewumi University, and we are proud to contribute these innovators to both the Nigerian and global workforce, confident that they will make a meaningful
impact.
”Preparing Globally Competitive Graduates, these 63 graduands are not merely degree holders, they are comprehensively prepared global professionals equipped with exceptional advantages that set them apart from their peers nationwide. Through our international partnerships, these graduates have obtained additional microcredentials from MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Berkeley, and Yale, world-class certifications from Alison, UK, RUDN professional University, Russia, World Bank’s Saylor Academy, Google, ICAN, and the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development initiatives in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence.
“Our Coursera collaboration provided them with additional industry certifications, while partnerships with Microsoft, IBM SkillsBuild, and MIT OpenCourseWare through our Global Campus initiative democratize access to cutting-edge knowledge. They are thus fully equipped to embark on meaningful and innovative careers in today’s technology-driven world.”
Earlier in his Convocation Lecture, titled “Crowdfunding Opportunities forstartups: Equiping Nigerian graduates for a sustainable future”, Dr. Bayo Williams Olugbemi charged the graduads on the mindset of job creation, saying “as a graduate, your future is not defined by what Nigeria gives you, but by what you create. The idea of crowdfunding is the idea of hope. It is proof that when people come together, ideas once impossible become achievable.
“I urge you not to think only about searching for jobs. Instead, think about creating value, and if capital is a barrier, remember: “The crowd can be your first investor.”
In his goodwill message, the Executive Secretary of the National University Commission, Professor Abdullahi Ribadu, represented by Esther I. Eyo, Esq commended the resilience of TAU management said “NUC acknowledges TAU sustained progress in advancing quality teaching, impactful research, innovation, and community engagement, all of which align with our national aspiration for a globally competitive and knowledge-driven university system.
“It would interest you to know that, in the accreditation exercise conducted in 2023, Thomas Adewumi University achieved a 100% Full Accreditation status across all programmes assessed a laudable feat that reflects the University’s strong commitment to maintaining high academic standards.”
Also speaking, the Founder/Chancellor of the institution, Dr. (Engr) Johnson Adewumi, urged the graduands to be good ambassadors of the University, adding: “Remember that your degree is not an end but a beginning, go forth with courage, humility, and a sense of responsibility. Strive to illuminate whatever space you occupy with the light of integrity, excellence and service.”
Highlight of the event was the conferment of an honorary doctorate degree on two distinguished personalities; Engr Oluseyi Afolabi and Pastor Oladokun Olatunde.
End
Uncategorized
photo
L-r Speaker, House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas; President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio and Nigeria’s First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, during the dinner for members of the National Assembly by the First Lady yesterday. Photo: Senate President’s Office.
Uncategorized
JUST IN: Even Tinubu moves with too many police escorts – Senator Ndume
By Hassan Taiye
Senator Ali Ndume has criticised what he described as the excessive use of security convoys by top government officials, including President Bola Tinubu, warning that the practice leaves ordinary citizens exposed and vulnerable.
Speaking on Politics Today on Channels Television on Thursday, Ndume said many public office holders move with security details that are unnecessarily large, even when their positions do not warrant such heavy protection.
He recalled visiting the residence of a colleague and finding “more than 10 policemen” attached to him, despite the lawmaker being junior to him in the National Assembly.
Ndume further argued that the presidential convoy itself is excessively large, stressing that security efforts should be focused on protecting the overall environment rather than individual personalities.
He said: “I went to one of my colleagues’ house for dinner. And I saw more than 10 policemen. He is even my junior in the National Assembly. Some of them, if you see them coming, you will pull back thinking that maybe it’s the President or the Vice President that is coming.
“
You can see even the president, the convoy that the president goes about with is too much. Secure the place and when the president goes, you withdraw. Secure Abuja and the president can even drive out, you know, himself.
But when you secure personalities, and this is what is happening in Nigeria, then others, common people, as we call them, become vulnerable, and we don’t care. So if you secure Abuja, then you can drive at night. And let me tell you, this is what is happening in most countries”.
The lawmaker’s comments come just days after President Tinubu ordered the withdrawal of police officers from VIP escort and guard duties.
In a statement, the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said the directive was aimed at redeploying police manpower to core law enforcement responsibilities.
-
Uncategorized5 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines10 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News11 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology4 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
