Uncategorized
US Lawmaker Introduces Resolution Backing Trump’s Action on Alleged Christian Persecution in Nigeria
By: Fabian Apechihin
A United States congressman, Riley Moore, has introduced a resolution in the House of Representatives condemning the alleged persecution of Christians in Nigeria and pledging support for President Donald Trump’s efforts to address the situation.
In a post on his verified X (formerly Twitter) account on Friday, Moore announced that the resolution — titled “Condemning the persecution of Christians in Nigeria and standing ready to support President Donald Trump in taking decisive action to end the existential threat that persecuted Christians face in Nigeria” — had been officially submitted and referred to the appropriate House committee.
“I just introduced a resolution condemning the atrocities Christians are facing in Nigeria and supporting @POTUS’ efforts to defend Christians who are being slaughtered,” Moore wrote.
The lawmaker, who chairs the special investigative committee established by Trump to probe the alleged religious persecution, described Nigeria as “the deadliest place in the world to be a Christian.”
According to Moore, over 7,000 Christians have been killed in 2025 alone, averaging about 35 murders per day, while between 50,000 and 100,000 Christians have been killed since 2009. He claimed that 19,000 churches have been destroyed and millions displaced in what he called a “deliberate campaign of religious cleansing.”
“The attackers regularly target Christian holy days, such as the 2022 Pentecost massacre, the 2023 Christmas Eve massacre, and the 2025 Holy Week attacks. Priests, pastors, and seminarians are routinely targeted for kidnapping and murder, with more than 250 clergy killed in the past decade,” Moore stated.
Citing the murder of Fr. Sylvester Okechukwu on Ash Wednesday earlier this year, he argued that the violence was not random but “targeted jihadist attacks.”
Moore accused the Nigerian government of failing to act or hold perpetrators accountable.
“Last month, a pastor in Plateau State warned of an impending Fulani attack. The Nigerian Army accused him of spreading fake news, and more than a dozen Christians were killed the next day,” he said.
He also criticised President Bola Tinubu for denying the existence of religious persecution, referencing Tinubu’s September 2025 statement that “there’s no religious persecution in Nigeria.”
“He now has an opportunity to strengthen relations with the United States — and, more importantly, do the right thing,” Moore added.
Resolution’s Key Provisions
The resolution recalled that Trump had designated Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern (CPC)” in 2020 and again in 2025 under the International Religious Freedom Act of 1998, a move that enables U.S. sanctions and diplomatic measures against governments accused of violating religious freedoms.
It faulted the Biden administration’s 2021 decision to remove Nigeria from the CPC list, claiming that violence against Christians escalated sharply afterward. The resolution also cited the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), which has recommended Nigeria’s redesignation as a CPC annually since 2009.
The document condemned the ongoing killings and attacks by Boko Haram, Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), and other militant groups, while accusing the Nigerian government of failing to protect Christian citizens.
It further condemned Nigeria’s enforcement of blasphemy laws, including those prescribing the death penalty, calling them violations of international human rights norms.
Specific cases mentioned in the resolution include the killings of Rhoda Jatau and Deborah Yakubu, whose killers, it said, were never brought to justice.
“Global silence only emboldens extremists,” the resolution stated, urging the United States to raise its “moral voice” in defence of persecuted Christians.
Broad Support for the Resolution
Moore expressed gratitude to 20 co-sponsoring lawmakers and more than 55 international and faith-based organisations that endorsed the measure, including:
- American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ)
- CatholicVote
- Faith & Freedom Coalition
- Open Doors USA
- Heritage Action
“As I said at @CPAC’s Ending Christian Persecution summit: I will never stay silent as our brothers and sisters in Christ are being slaughtered for their faith,” Moore wrote.
“The U.S. will consider every option to protect vulnerable Christians from slaughter. Now is the time to put on the full armour of God.”
Would you like me to make this rewrite more neutral and journalistic (for newspaper publication) or more opinionated and dramatic (for feature or editorial use)?
Uncategorized
Kwara: Ifelodun Travellers Transport System Revived
- As Council Signs MoU With P&A Contract Ltd
Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin
The Ifelodun local Government, under the leadership of Hadji Abdulrasheed Femi Yusuf, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with P & A Contract Limited for the construction of a modern motor park in Amoyo, as the Council moves to revive the Ifelodun Travellers transport system and improve transportation within the Local Government.
Speaking during the MoU signing ceremony at the Council s Contact Office in Amoyo, the Chairman explained that the decision to construct the motor park was driven by the need for Ifelodun Local Government to establish its own transport identity, intended to ease people’s transportation problem.
He recalled that residents travelling to and from Ifelodun had, over the years, relied on transport facilities at Offa Garage and Maraba in Ilorin, stressing the need to create a dedicated transport hub that would serve the people of the Local Government.
“At some point in the history of Ifelodun Local Government, we had Ifelodun Travellers, which does not exist anymore. I don’t think there is anything wrong with bringing that identity back to the limelight. Now, we want to add value to that identity,” the Chairman said.
He added that the Council was also working with relevant stakeholders to bring in 10 units of Korope buses, which would commence operations as soon as possible.
“We are working with the NURTW, Kwara State Chapter, for guidance and to ensure that the operation runs smoothly,” he added.
The Supervisory Councillor for Works and Infrastructure Development, Mrs. Kolo Rebecca, explained that the proposed park would feature several amenities, including a garage, warehouse, 100-unit shopping complex, parking spaces and general toilets.
She said the facilities were designed to boost economic activities, improve the image of the Local Government and provide a more convenient transportation system for residents.
According to her, the initiative is also in line with the efforts of the Kwara State Governor, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, to take governance and development directly to the grassroots.
The contractor, Mallam Jimoh Toheeb Abolore, assured the Local Government of the prompt execution of the project, promising that the construction would meet the required standards and contribute positively to the image and development of Ifelodun Local Government.
Those in attendance included the Vice Chairman, Hon. Nike Ajibola; Secretary to the Local Government, Dr. Kamil Akorede; DPM, Mallam Ayinde Salman; LGT, Mallam Usman Waheed; Chief of Staff to the Chairman, Chief Ademola Zubair; Head of Works, Engr. Awodi Muhammad; Land officer, Tola Kadir and other Special Assistants.
Uncategorized
Lawyer Demands Release of Detained Kano Blogger, Maryam Shehu
By Hassan Agboola
A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza Nuhu Dantani, has called for the immediate release of Kano-based blogger, Maryam Shehu, who he said has been in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for almost 30 days.
Dantani, in a statement on Monday, said the prolonged detention of Shehu was becoming difficult to reconcile with the rule of law and provisions of the 1999 Constitution, particularly her fundamental right to personal liberty.
He questioned why Shehu should remain in detention for nearly 30 days, particularly over an offence he described as ordinarily bailable.
“How on earth can a person be detained for almost 30 days and counting, particularly in relation to an offence that is ordinarily bailable, without meaningful consideration of her liberty and constitutional rights?” he asked.
Dantani said the EFCC’s powers to investigate did not give the commission the right to detain a suspect indefinitely, punish her before trial or disregard her fundamental rights.
He also criticised the alleged practice of photographing persons in EFCC custody and publishing their images online while they remain presumed innocent.
Citing Section 36(5) of the Constitution, Dantani said the law guarantees the presumption of innocence until a suspect is proven guilty by a competent court.
He warned that publicly portraying suspects as criminals before trial could amount to subjecting them to public punishment and humiliation.
“The EFCC is a law-enforcement institution. It must therefore be the first institution to demonstrate obedience to law. It cannot demand respect for law from citizens while appearing to disregard constitutional safeguards itself,” he said.
Dantani urged the commission to either charge Shehu before a competent court if it has credible evidence against her or release her immediately
.
“We call on EFCC to respect the Constitution, respect presumption of innocence and respect fundamental right to personal liberty. Investigation is not conviction. Detention is not punishment. And an allegation is not guilt,” he said.
Uncategorized
Cristiano Ronaldo’s Comment on Lionel Messi’s Tribute to His Dad Becomes Most-Liked Instagram Comment
By Fabian Apechihin
Cristiano Ronaldo’s heartfelt message to Lionel Messi following the death of his father, Jorge Messi, has reportedly become the most-liked comment in Instagram history.
Jorge Messi died on August 7 in Rosario, Argentina, aged 68. Five days later, Messi paid tribute to his late father in an emotional Instagram post featuring a photo of the pair.
In the post, Messi wrote, “Te amo, pa” — meaning “I love you, Dad” — alongside a lengthy tribute reflecting on his father’s influence and the pain of losing him.
Among the many reactions from fans, celebrities and fellow footballers was a message from Ronaldo.
“Un abrazo enorme para ti y los tuyos en estos duros momentos, Leo. Mucha fuerza,” Ronaldo wrote, which translates to: “A huge hug to you and yours in these tough times, Leo. Much strength.”
Ronaldo’s comment reportedly attracted more than 6.86 million likes and over 86,000 comments, making it the most-liked comment on Instagram.
The previous record was also held by Ronaldo, whose comment on Kylian Mbappé’s announcement of his move to Real Madrid reportedly received more than five million likes.
Other football stars also expressed their condolences to Messi. Neymar Jr.’s message, translated as “Much strength for you and your family. Big hug,” reportedly received more than 1.6 million likes, while David Beckham’s comment expressing support for Messi and his family attracted more than 300,000 likes.
In his tribute, Messi described his father’s death as difficult to comprehend, saying he struggled to accept that he would no longer see or speak with him.
Messi also recalled how his father had encouraged him to play at the 2026 World Cup despite his deteriorating health. He said his father had hoped to watch him compete and had planned to travel if his condition improved.
According to Messi, he had promised his father that Argentina would reach the final so he could be there. Although Argentina reached the final, his father was unable to attend.
Reflecting on the loss, Messi said he had wanted to win the tournament and bring the trophy to his father but ultimately struggled physically during the competition.
The emotional tribute highlighted the close bond between Messi and his father and the profound impact of his loss on the football superstar.
-
Uncategorized6 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines11 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News12 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology5 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
