By Steve Oni, Ilorin
No fewer than 23 shops were reportedly razed down, with goods worth millions of naira destroyed, in an early morning inferno on Tuesday at Owode market, in Offa, Kwara State.
It was gathered that the ravaging fire started around 1:00am and before the Fire Brigade could be reached many shops had been engulfed in the inferno.
New Telegraph’s checks, however, revealed that the eventual arrival of the Fire Brigade prevented the inferno from spreading to other shops and houses in the vicinity.
Reacting to the incident, the Head, Media and Publicity of the Kwara Fire Service, Hassan Hakeem Adekunle, said that though the intelligence unit of the Fire Brigade was working to know the immediate and remote causes of the fire outbreak, he suspected that electric spark might be the cause.
He said: “And if not because of the quick intervention of the Fire Brigade, the disaster would have been greater. About 23 shops were affected due to the little delay in reaching out to the fire brigade.
“The cause of the inferno was suspected to be an electric spark, even though the intelligent team of the State Fire Brigade is still working on that to unravel and ascertain the actual cause or causes of the fire outbreak.”