Connect with us

Uncategorized

Kwara NUJ Correspondents reaffirm legality of Chapel election

Published

on

  • Debunk National Secretariat’s claim of constitutional breach

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin

Members of the Correspondents’ Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Kwara Council, have reaffirmed the validity and outcome of the election of the new Executive Committee of the Chapel, stressing that the election was conducted in full compliance with the NUJ Constitution and due process.

In a letter dated November 13, 2025 and written to the NUJ National President, through the National Secretary, members of the Correspondents’ Chapel said that the November 1 election was lawful, transparent, and constitutionally valid.

The letter, signed by the Chairman and Secretary of the Credentials Committee of the Chapel, Hammed Shittu and Umar Abdulwahab, respectively, was copied to the NUJ
Vice-President/Secretary, Zone D
Chairman/Secretary, and the Kwara State Council.

Members of the Chapel, in the letter, titled, Re: Allegation of Illegal Election in the Correspondents’ Chapel, said : “We stand firmly by the legality of the election and the legitimacy of the new Executive Committee of the Correspondents’ Chapel. We, therefore, urge the National Secretariat to review its earlier position in the interest of fairness, justice, and the unity of our noble Union.

“With specific reference to paragraph six of your letter, we wish to clearly state that we were not aware of any disagreement between the Chapel and the Council in the build-up to the Correspondents’ Chapel election held on 1st November, 2025.

“The Credentials Committee, which was validly constituted and duly acknowledged by the National Secretariat, acted based on the date approved for the election by the Council through an undated letter signed by the Council Secretary, Mr. Mahmood Olayinka Alaya.

“We also affirm that the entire process leading to the smooth transition of leadership was duly communicated to the Council by both the outgoing Chapel leadership and the Credentials Committee, and the Council duly acknowledged this communication in writing.

“Consequently, the Credentials Committee acted strictly in accordance with the provisions and spirit of the NUJ Constitution, having secured the Council’s commitment to conduct the election on November 1, 2025.

“On the issue of Article 6(6) of the NUJ Constitution, which clearly assigns supervisory roles in Chapel elections to the State Working Committee (SWC)—not solely to the Council Chairman or Secretary—we reiterate that the election was duly supervised by two SWC members, namely: Mrs. Bushra Yusuf-Badmus (Treasurer) and Mr. Lukman Oyedeji (Auditor).

“While we respect the hierarchy and authority of the Union, we must stress that the Credentials Committee did not flout any law or directive, as wrongly insinuated in your correspondence. It is important to clarify that we did not report the matter to the National Secretariat; rather, the Council did.

“Our correspondence to the National Secretariat was purely a formal response to a petition already transmitted there by the Council.

“If there had been any directive from the National Secretariat instructing the Credentials Committee to suspend or halt the election, it was the Council’s obligation to communicate such directive to us. No such communication was ever received.

“Regarding membership status and the NUJ portal, we maintain that all 36 Chapel members who participated in the election were duly certified by the National Secretariat, having fulfilled all constitutional requirements, including payment of ₦25,000 each as prescribed for full membership. Each of these members possesses a valid NUJ identity card confirming their full membership status.

“We note that the National Secretary’s letter of November 11, 2025 further supports our position by acknowledging that while the portal reflects membership status, categorization remains the prerogative of the National Secretariat.

“It is also pertinent to recall that prior to the 2024 Kwara Council election, the National Secretariat directed all Correspondents’ Chapel members to pay ₦50,000 each, yet many were unjustly denied voting rights despite fulfilling this requirement.

“Additionally, the 2024 NUJ ID cards duly issued to these members by the National Secretariat remain withheld by the Kwara Council Chairman, Comrade Ahmed Abdulateef, and the Secretary up to the time of writing this letter.

“We, therefore, reaffirm, without equivocation, that the Correspondents’ Chapel election held on November 1, 2025 (not 31st November, 2025 as erroneously stated) was lawful, transparent, and constitutionally valid.

“For emphasis, the election was supervised by two members of the State Working Committee—the Treasurer and the Auditor—thus satisfying the constitutional requirement for Council oversight.

End.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Kwara: Ifelodun Travellers Transport System Revived

Published

on

  • As Council Signs MoU With P&A Contract Ltd

Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin

The Ifelodun local Government, under the leadership of Hadji Abdulrasheed Femi Yusuf, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with P & A Contract Limited for the construction of a modern motor park in Amoyo, as the Council moves to revive the Ifelodun Travellers transport system and improve transportation within the Local Government.

Speaking during the MoU signing ceremony at the Council s Contact Office in Amoyo, the Chairman explained that the decision to construct the motor park was driven by the need for Ifelodun Local Government to establish its own transport identity, intended to ease people’s transportation problem.

He recalled that residents travelling to and from Ifelodun had, over the years, relied on transport facilities at Offa Garage and Maraba in Ilorin, stressing the need to create a dedicated transport hub that would serve the people of the Local Government.

“At some point in the history of Ifelodun Local Government, we had Ifelodun Travellers, which does not exist anymore. I don’t think there is anything wrong with bringing that identity back to the limelight. Now, we want to add value to that identity,” the Chairman said.

He added that the Council was also working with relevant stakeholders to bring in 10 units of Korope buses, which would commence operations as soon as possible.

“We are working with the NURTW, Kwara State Chapter, for guidance and to ensure that the operation runs smoothly,” he added.

The Supervisory Councillor for Works and Infrastructure Development, Mrs. Kolo Rebecca, explained that the proposed park would feature several amenities, including a garage, warehouse, 100-unit shopping complex, parking spaces and general toilets.

She said the facilities were designed to boost economic activities, improve the image of the Local Government and provide a more convenient transportation system for residents.

According to her, the initiative is also in line with the efforts of the Kwara State Governor, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, to take governance and development directly to the grassroots.

The contractor, Mallam Jimoh Toheeb Abolore, assured the Local Government of the prompt execution of the project, promising that the construction would meet the required standards and contribute positively to the image and development of Ifelodun Local Government.

Those in attendance included the Vice Chairman, Hon. Nike Ajibola; Secretary to the Local Government, Dr. Kamil Akorede; DPM, Mallam Ayinde Salman; LGT, Mallam Usman Waheed; Chief of Staff to the Chairman, Chief Ademola Zubair; Head of Works, Engr. Awodi Muhammad; Land officer, Tola Kadir and other Special Assistants.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Lawyer Demands Release of Detained Kano Blogger, Maryam Shehu

Published

on

By Hassan Agboola

A lawyer and human rights activist, Hamza Nuhu Dantani, has called for the immediate release of Kano-based blogger, Maryam Shehu, who he said has been in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for almost 30 days.

Dantani, in a statement on Monday, said the prolonged detention of Shehu was becoming difficult to reconcile with the rule of law and provisions of the 1999 Constitution, particularly her fundamental right to personal liberty.
He questioned why Shehu should remain in detention for nearly 30 days, particularly over an offence he described as ordinarily bailable.

“How on earth can a person be detained for almost 30 days and counting, particularly in relation to an offence that is ordinarily bailable, without meaningful consideration of her liberty and constitutional rights?” he asked.
Dantani said the EFCC’s powers to investigate did not give the commission the right to detain a suspect indefinitely, punish her before trial or disregard her fundamental rights.

He also criticised the alleged practice of photographing persons in EFCC custody and publishing their images online while they remain presumed innocent.
Citing Section 36(5) of the Constitution, Dantani said the law guarantees the presumption of innocence until a suspect is proven guilty by a competent court.

He warned that publicly portraying suspects as criminals before trial could amount to subjecting them to public punishment and humiliation.
“The EFCC is a law-enforcement institution. It must therefore be the first institution to demonstrate obedience to law. It cannot demand respect for law from citizens while appearing to disregard constitutional safeguards itself,” he said.

Dantani urged the commission to either charge Shehu before a competent court if it has credible evidence against her or release her immediately
.
“We call on EFCC to respect the Constitution, respect presumption of innocence and respect fundamental right to personal liberty. Investigation is not conviction. Detention is not punishment. And an allegation is not guilt,” he said.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Comment on Lionel Messi’s Tribute to His Dad Becomes Most-Liked Instagram Comment

Published

on

By Fabian Apechihin

Cristiano Ronaldo’s heartfelt message to Lionel Messi following the death of his father, Jorge Messi, has reportedly become the most-liked comment in Instagram history.

Jorge Messi died on August 7 in Rosario, Argentina, aged 68. Five days later, Messi paid tribute to his late father in an emotional Instagram post featuring a photo of the pair.

In the post, Messi wrote, “Te amo, pa” — meaning “I love you, Dad” — alongside a lengthy tribute reflecting on his father’s influence and the pain of losing him.

Among the many reactions from fans, celebrities and fellow footballers was a message from Ronaldo.

“Un abrazo enorme para ti y los tuyos en estos duros momentos, Leo. Mucha fuerza,” Ronaldo wrote, which translates to: “A huge hug to you and yours in these tough times, Leo. Much strength.”

Ronaldo’s comment reportedly attracted more than 6.86 million likes and over 86,000 comments, making it the most-liked comment on Instagram.

The previous record was also held by Ronaldo, whose comment on Kylian Mbappé’s announcement of his move to Real Madrid reportedly received more than five million likes.

Other football stars also expressed their condolences to Messi. Neymar Jr.’s message, translated as “Much strength for you and your family. Big hug,” reportedly received more than 1.6 million likes, while David Beckham’s comment expressing support for Messi and his family attracted more than 300,000 likes.

In his tribute, Messi described his father’s death as difficult to comprehend, saying he struggled to accept that he would no longer see or speak with him.

Messi also recalled how his father had encouraged him to play at the 2026 World Cup despite his deteriorating health. He said his father had hoped to watch him compete and had planned to travel if his condition improved.

According to Messi, he had promised his father that Argentina would reach the final so he could be there. Although Argentina reached the final, his father was unable to attend.

Reflecting on the loss, Messi said he had wanted to win the tournament and bring the trophy to his father but ultimately struggled physically during the competition.

The emotional tribute highlighted the close bond between Messi and his father and the profound impact of his loss on the football superstar.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.