Uncategorized
Three LNRBDA staff hospitalised over NUAAE’s violent protest
- MD says protest meant to disrupt committee set up to probe fraud allegation
Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin
At least three staff of the Lower Niger River Basin Development Authority (LNRBDA), Ilorin, were on Monday hospitalised during a violent disruption of activities by members of the National Union of Agricultural and Allied Employees NUAAE in the establishment.
It was gathered that members of the NUAAE had staged a protest against the Management of the Authority over allegations of high handedness and absence of workers welfare.
The union members had reportedly attacked staff, inflicting various degrees of injury, while the Management, led by the Managing Director of the Authority, Engineer George Olumoroti, had to report to the State Commissioner of Police and the Directorate of State Security (DSS).
Speaking with journalists Monday in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, Olumoroti said that three members of the Authority were hospitalised after receiving severe beatings from the protesting union members.
The Managing Director, who described the disturbance as a violent attack and not a protest,
made available a video evidence of the incident to journalists.
According to him, the crisis stemmed from disciplinary actions initiated against a member of the union, Mudi Olayinka Raji, over alleged gross misconduct and non-remittance of government revenue.
He said the Management, upon assumption of office in April 2025 reviewed records and disciplinary reports as part of efforts to align the Authority with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.
He explained that previous Management had set up disciplinary committees to investigate allegations against the union leader, over alleged diversion of government revenue, unretired IOUs and unauthorised financial transactions involving his wife, who is not a staff member of the authority.
The Managing Director said the committees found the union leader and four others culpable, recommending sanctions, including refund of unaccounted funds, warning letters and dismissal over alleged gross misconduct and corrupt practices.
He added that the recommendations were later reviewed and upheld by another committee and subsequently by the Senior Staff Disciplinary Committee with representatives from the Federal Ministry of Water Resources.
Olumoroti said the affected officers were denied promotion in line with public service rules pending the conclusion of disciplinary proceedings.
He, however, said he personally appealed to the Minister of Water Resources, Prof. Joseph Utsev to temper justice with mercy by commuting recommended dismissal to lesser sanctions similar to those given to the other affected officers.
According to him, the Minister approved the appeal, directing the leader to refund unaccounted funds, accept a warning letter and submit an undertaking of good conduct.
He said while other affected officers complied and returned to duty, the union leader allegedly rejected the clemency and petitioned the minister, claiming that documentary evidence used against him had been forged.
Olumoroti said the allegation prompted the Minister to direct a fresh investigation through a special disciplinary committee inaugurated last Wednesday.
He alleged that the violent disturbance was aimed at disrupting the committee’s work and frustrating ongoing reforms within the Authority.
“This is a case of corruption fighting back. We are introducing reforms, accountability and discipline into the system and some persons are resisting change,” he said.
Olumoroti further alleged that some workers invaded the premises with weapons, assaulted staff and breached security within the authority.
He said members of another union resisted the disruption, insisting they were at work and not part of the protest.
The Managing Director said the Management would not tolerate acts of violence or intimidation, adding that all staff must operate within public service rules and extant laws.
Uncategorized
Why I Married Cristiano Ronaldo in Our Living Room – Georgina Rodriguez
By Fabian Apechihin
Cristiano Ronaldo’s partner, Georgina Rodriguez, has explained why they chose to have a private wedding at home instead of hosting an extravagant ceremony.
Ronaldo and Rodriguez recently announced their marriage in a joint Instagram post, revealing that the ceremony was a modest affair held in the living room of their mansion in Cascais, Portugal.
The decision surprised many, particularly those who expected the high-profile couple to celebrate their union with a lavish wedding.
In an interview with Vogue, Rodriguez explained that her views about marriage and weddings had changed over the years. She said that although she once dreamed of a fairy-tale wedding as a child, she eventually came to prefer a more intimate celebration with her family.
“As a little girl, I envisioned the grandest castle, the most magnificent carriage, the longest gown and a crown adorned with diamonds,” she said.
“Now, I find myself saying: no. I desire something intimate, shared with my partner and our children, in the comfort of our home. We have access to castles, houses, islands, horses, and cars every day.
“However, an intimate gathering is something more unique for us,” she added.
Rodriguez also explained that holding the ceremony in their living room carried special emotional significance because it is where the family spends much of its everyday life.
“We chose to hold the ceremony in our living room, the place where we share breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and where we experience our daily lives,” she said.
“In 30 years, I want our children to remember that something wonderful occurred at this table, the wedding vows of their parents,” Rodriguez added.
Uncategorized
Illegal Mining in Nigeria Linked to Terrorism, Insecurity – UNODC
By Fabian Apechihin
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) has linked illegal mining in Nigeria to organised crime, terrorism and insecurity across West Africa.
The UN agency disclosed this in a statement on Monday following a meeting between its delegation and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) Mining Marshals.
The delegation was led by Tullio Santini, Chief of the Africa Section of the Terrorism Prevention Branch (TPB) at UNODC.
Santini described the NSCDC Mining Marshals’ enforcement unit as critical to efforts to combat illegal mining and its associated criminal activities in Nigeria.
The meeting focused on the UNODC Crime-Terrorism Nexus Initiative, led by Robert Haslinger, a law enforcement expert from the Swedish Police.
According to UNODC, the initiative is designed to strengthen cooperation among governments and law enforcement agencies in dismantling the financial and operational links between organised criminal networks and terrorist groups.
Speaking on behalf of the NSCDC Commandant General, Ahmed Abubakar Audi, Commander John Onoja Attah described UNODC as an important partner in the fight against illegal mining in Nigeria.
Attah noted that previous training programmes supported by UNODC had significantly improved collaboration between the Mining Marshals and the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU).
He said continued cooperation between relevant agencies would be crucial to addressing the security and financial challenges associated with illegal mining in the country.
Uncategorized
Kwankwaso Reflects on Fading Political Alliances
By Fabian Apechihin
Former Kano State Governor, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, has reflected on the transient nature of political relationships, noting that political associates can become distant despite having once worked closely together.
Kwankwaso made the remarks while recalling some of his former political associates.
“I told him that when I come here, I don’t see Bucknor. When I come here, I don’t see Ambode. I started counting the people,” he said.
According to him, his political experience has shown that relationships formed in politics can change over time, with former allies sometimes becoming strangers despite their previous collaborations.
However, Kwankwaso singled out former Osun State Governor, Chief Bisi Akande, as one of the few political associates he still considers a friend.
He likened political relationships to friendships formed in school, noting that former classmates can maintain strong bonds despite taking different paths in their political careers.
“It’s not very peculiar to Kano, but I think the Kano experience is special out of the general lots,” Kwankwaso said.
-
Uncategorized6 years agoFG, states urged to harness flooding for ranching, others with technology – Agbaje
-
Headlines11 years agoBreaking: EFCC seals Borno House of Assembly, as Hon members take to their heels
-
News12 years agoNigeria Security Operatives Stage Manhunt For Homosexual Perpetrator
-
News9 years agoHow 21-year-old Girl fled community over accusation of lesbianism
-
News10 years agoYobe Gov Moves Against Deputy
-
Opinion7 years ago7 signs she has friend zoned you
-
Technology5 years ago
Online job placement company headhunts women
-
Headlines10 years agoBorno Dep Gov Abducts Another Church Leader
